ADVERTISEMENT

Is Hough really playing Byrnes next season

If a student wanted to relocate from “the 336” to the Charlotte area, they’d need to somehow finagle an address out of the Piedmont Triad area.

I’m sure they are doing that...

But school systems are tightening up in the Piedmont for those who just want to attend an out of system school. Two examples... North Davidson kid playing at Parkland and another at East Forsyth.

Davidson is tightening that up next year. Many other systems in the area already have done so.
Its a money thing. That allotted money goes to the other county, much like it would if they left to attend a charter.

An out of system (usually county in NC) student pays tuition in the amount a student at the school being attended would receive fir the student.

Regardless of where the move is made the system or systems involved must sign off.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
If a student wanted to relocate from “the 336” to the Charlotte area, they’d need to somehow finagle an address out of the Piedmont Triad area.

I’m sure they are doing that...

But school systems are tightening up in the Piedmont for those who just want to attend an out of system school. Two examples... North Davidson kid playing at Parkland and another at East Forsyth.

Davidson is tightening that up next year. Many other systems in the area already have done so.
Its a money thing. That allotted money goes to the other county, much like it would if they left to attend a charter.
That may get a little complicated in Davidson County. There are many students who live in the Thomasville or Lexington districts, but pay a minimal tuition to attend county schools. And, perhaps surprisingly, many who live in the county, but pay to attend the city schools. Most of these don’t play sports and many are in primary or elementary schools. There are also quite a few kids enrolled at one system’s high school, but take specific classes at a school in the other system. That will grow soon as Thomasville is adding an advanced manufacturing curriculum that will be open to kids from East and Ledford.
That is overwhelmingly about academics, not athletics. Tightening up would be detrimental to the kids if it eliminates those opportunities. Until (never) there is merger and redistricting in Davidson County, it will always be extremely complex.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
There are no students from Thomasville city who are paying tuition to attend Davidson County schools. Same with Lexington. That was the case a decade ago.. but no longer. I do remember a few basketball players from West Davidson making that leap.
That’s not to say that there aren’t students in LCS and TCS from Davidson County. I’m sure there are. But they asked to go and up until now, the administration has allowed that. The releasing system writes the check to the admitting system. Just like they do for charter schools.

Thomasville won’t even sign off on allowing more than 4 kids to attend the “Yadkin Valley Academy”, even though they are counted as visiting students and don’t take away from the money that THS receives PLUS they get to claim the scores that they earn there. Students from all 3 systems also attend the Early College, which is administered by davidson county schools.

I don’t see Davidson County signing off on students to go to Thomasville for advanced manufacturing... maybe for a period a day, much like they used to in the early 2000’s for Masonry and Carpentry. Those were great classes taught by two very excellent men.

South Davidson is receiving an advanced manufacturing curriculum next year and students will be allowed to attend there from East if they so choose. I think they’d have liked to have been able to allow some kids across the Randolph County line to attend also... but Randolph does not release students to attend other public school systems.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT