ADVERTISEMENT

Interception question

FreedomAlum

Mar 2, 2022
Morganton
In NC High School play can a ball intercepted in the end zone be returned? There was a play at Freedom Friday night where the ball was intercepted inside the 5, and in such a case could the returner use the end zone to evade tacklers (I saw a similar play in a college game yesterday where the DB returning an interception crossed back into the end zone from the field of play) which sparked my curiosity. Also what would happen if a defender intercepted a ball on the field of play and then let his momentum carry him back into the end zone and then was either tackled or knelt?

Thanks!

A few years ago our safety intercepted a pass 8 yards deep in end zone and took it for a pick 6. No one even questioned it.

Reactions: FreedomAlum
Yes-- you can run out of the EZ with a pass that has been intercepted.

If the player intercepted in the field of play inside the 5 yd line and the momentum carried him in the EZ ..and he was tackled --the ball would come out to the spot he possessed it . If it was caught beyond the 5 yd line and is then carried into the EZ ..it's a safety.

If the player intercepted in the field of play inside the 5 yd line and the momentum carried him in the EZ ..and he was tackled --the ball would come out to the spot he possessed it . If it was caught beyond the 5 yd line and is then carried into the EZ ..it's a safety.
Thanks, I was confused because you can't return kicks from the end zone, but I wasn't sure about other kinds of plays.

This rule showed up in the South Granville/Roanoke Rapids game in the last minute of the 4th Quarter.....when it seemed like RR had intercepted a pass to seal the game.....but like you said, he possessed it right at the 1 yard line, then his momentum carried him into the end zone, it was either the line judge or back judge dropped the bean bag right at the 1 and that's where RR took over and would fumble the handoff on their next play to open the door for SG to get the win

That's the correct ruling. It's known as the momentum rule, so you're on top of it.

When a kick, fumble or interception is caught inside the 5 yard line and the player's momentum carries him into the end zone where the ball becomes dead, the ball comes back to the spot of the recovery/catch. The covering official(s) drop a bean bag to mark the spot.

Otherwise, the result of the play you describe would have been a safety, not a touchback.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT