ADVERTISEMENT

Hoggard @ Hillside

portcity FB

Nov 8, 2004
Hoggard travels to Durham to take on Hillside. These teams last met in 2007, Hoggard won 29-14 on their way to a state championship. Hoggard is coming off an upset of EE Smith and Hillside hammered Person for the 2nd week in a row. Hillside has a very good defense and a special RB. Hoggard has leaned on their defense all season and post a balanced attack on offense and play fundamental football. Hillside will be a double digit favorite in this one. Hoggard will have to slow the run and be able to throw effectively to pull the upset. Should be fun.

Port
Why was Hoggard's victory last night considered an upset! Shouldn't the higher seed be favored.

EE smith finished third in a very good conf. Hoggard finished 2nd in a very weak conference. Most had Smith a 7-8 point favorite in last nights game but Hoggard had the higher seed because of conference finish.

Hornetmania at The Blunt this Friday night. It should be a packed house. Ready to face an out of conference opponent. Hoggard is an unfamiliar foe, so looking to forward to seeing what style of football they play. The Hornets like to set the tone and pace. Interested to see how the Vikings defend the run. I cant remember if others have stacked the box but spread formations can make that challenging.

Hillside looks a lot like EE Smith, big and fast and physical. Hoggard has faced some good running teams this year and played well. This isn't a big Hoggard team. Their defensive line isn't big but they have played really well all season. The LB's are undersized but they tackle well and play discipline. Hoggard usually has very strong special teams but that has taken a hit after they lost their kicker/ punter in the WB game on a late hit. They have given up 3 TD on special teams. The special teams has also given up field poss which has lead to easy scores. Hoggard will have to be very sharp on special teams and not give Hillside anything easy. EE Smith moved the ball but had only 1 scoring drive, their first drive of the game. Their 2nd score came off a huge KO return inside the 20 and their 3rd score was a pick 6. Hillside likes to run it and Hoggard like to defend the run.
On offense Hoggard mostly runs from under center with a TB and a FB. They run a lot of sets with 2 big TE's. Hoggards FB is prob their best poss player. He is very good and loves to hit. His twin brother is the MLB and is conf defensive player of the year .I have enjoyed watching them play the past 4 years.

Port
All conference selections are not supposed to be announced until after the last conference team are out of the playoffs. Who said he was player of the year? Maybe last year!!

I did not know that. I was told by a friend who made all conf and who was offensive and defensive POY.

Someone said it was announced at Hoggard's football banquet but I just dismissed it since my understanding is that would be premature.

Port
Were you able to find out anything about the awards? I hope you were wrong about the Defensive POY

The obvious choice is Naz Brown, MLB for New Hanover. No disrespect to Hoggard's linebacker but Brown had a great year. And he is only a sophomore. Maybe they gave it to the senior not to the best linebacker in the conference.

The obvious choice is Naz Brown, MLB for New Hanover. No disrespect to Hoggard's linebacker but Brown had a great year. And he is only a sophomore. Maybe they gave it to the senior not to the best linebacker in the conference.

NAs BrOWn is Good, bUT the coaches In tHE conference VOTed. HAve yOU watched other Schools This YEAR besides thE one THat Played Against NW Hanover? CoachEs watch at LEast a Couple of fILMS to PrePare for an OppONEnET and of Course THe game. THey Know A LOt morw About it THan we do. AND the NEw Hanover Coach should of pUmped him more When the Coaches got togerther TO vote. Who Knowa... The vote might OF been close (One vOTE difference). I HAve heard a LOT of goor THings about the sopMore DE at Hoggart as WEll. NAs Bro has two more years and hE will Be POY before he is DOne.

We are assuming PortCity is correct in who the POY is. It has not been officially announced yet. Trench, to answer your question I have not seen Hoggard play any other games. Probably just a little biased. Brown has a bright future. On a sad note, we lost our other sophomore starting linebacker Grant Daley to a broken leg Friday night. Best wishes on his speedy recovery.

Glad to pick up the W this week. The Vikings showed great sportsmanship in their battle with the Hornets. Class program.
You guys were well coaches and prepared to take advantage of some mismatches. Great looking team you guys have. Glad we don't have to play you again this season. Good luck.

Port
Word today from a Hoggard insider is that Braswell will continue his coaching career at West Brunswick. Any word over on Shipyard?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT