ADVERTISEMENT

Head Football Coach at Mt Airy

Lol…RR you allegiance has been clear the whole time. We are all deserving of our opinions and it just so happens our opinions are different. The pool of interviews was cut down dramatically and didn’t represent the the level of applicants that had applied. Of the three I know of, the guy you want would rank third, but I’m sure he will be ok with the kids coming back that MA has. A campaign was in place from day 1 and it was successful…more than likely.
It’s just hard to understand coaches with impressive resumes, proven experience, and proven skills not having a chance from the beginning over a green assistant that’s never made a play call, scripted a practice plan, developed a program, dealt with parents/community/administration/discipline or been in charge of a weight program getting a job of this level.
With that being said good luck to the in house candidate if he does get it.
I will now sign off of this thread to allow those that disagree the last word.

I’m hearing the announcement will come next week. Interviews have been held off campus. Heard through the grapevine that the principal and AD was the only ones in the room for the interview. I found that extremely interesting considering holder and the older Taylor on staff. Especially considering their history with the program. Heard the bears are looking for longevity with this hire. That guy that is gonna be there 20 years. I would still be interested to hear who all applied. If Taylor is hired nothing changes in Defense and the offense gets better with hiatt and holder running it. Just my opinion of course

Lol…RR you allegiance has been clear the whole time. We are all deserving of our opinions and it just so happens our opinions are different. The pool of interviews was cut down dramatically and didn’t represent the the level of applicants that had applied. Of the three I know of, the guy you want would rank third, but I’m sure he will be ok with the kids coming back that MA has. A campaign was in place from day 1 and it was successful…more than likely.
It’s just hard to understand coaches with impressive resumes, proven experience, and proven skills not having a chance from the beginning over a green assistant that’s never made a play call, scripted a practice plan, developed a program, dealt with parents/community/administration/discipline or been in charge of a weight program getting a job of this level.
With that being said good luck to the in house candidate if he does get it.
I will now sign off of this thread to allow those that disagree the last word.
You do know he called all the defense the whole year. I know he dealt with my nephew and my sister when he had to. In a nice professional way as well. And you're wrong he runs the summer weightlifting program. So anyway shows what you know. Maybe you're just jealous you didn't get the job last time. How's that insurance business.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I will be happy when it is over and a new coach is announced. Of course, ever who gets it this thread will go on for a good while, probably until summer anyway. It will be nice to hear all the comments for or against the new hire. I am sure the principal and AD know what they are doing but I am sure they got some input from some of the coaches since they have 2 female co-ADs the last I heard but that was maybe last year. I am sure if I am wrong, I will be corrected. lol,
Go 🐻's 🏈🏈🏈 & New Coach :cool:

Last edited:
One earlier comment struck me:”the offense gets better with …….”

Number 1 in NC in scoring, #9 in the entire country! With the first team offense only playing the first half of at least 10 of 16 games.

My response is: Really? I mean Really?

Really , double really , triple really. The bears didn’t play a team with a pulse till the playoffs and trailed at the half in the last 3. I agree the numbers are impressive but with the talent gap between the bears and their competition I would think that would be expected. I think with the talent on the offensive side of the bears had that the play book could have been opened up a page or two. Not taking anything away from the previous coach as the results speak for themselves but he had a lot more weapons at his disposal than just the dominant rushing attack in which he used 95 percent of the time. But again , just my opinion. Tarboro goes out and schedules Havelock and Hereford county in non conference- we keep Surry central and Ashe County. Surry Central because it’s the ethical thing to do. If we are going to tout the numbers I wish the numbers were against some teams with somewhat of a pulse. Just saying

Really , double really , triple really. The bears didn’t play a team with a pulse till the playoffs and trailed at the half in the last 3. I agree the numbers are impressive but with the talent gap between the bears and their competition I would think that would be expected. I think with the talent on the offensive side of the bears had that the play book could have been opened up a page or two. Not taking anything away from the previous coach as the results speak for themselves but he had a lot more weapons at his disposal than just the dominant rushing attack in which he used 95 percent of the time. But again , just my opinion. Tarboro goes out and schedules Havelock and Hereford county in non conference- we keep Surry central and Ashe County. Surry Central because it’s the ethical thing to do. If we are going to tout the numbers I wish the numbers were against some teams with somewhat of a pulse. Just saying
Amen A FREAKING MEN tired of same ole shit I go through dead lines at work here in town let's play somebody West Stokes and possibly Reidsville

They may drop Ashe County and maybe Surry Central but if Mount Airy is 3A come 2025 Surry Central may be in the same conference with Mount Airy, I guess we will know sometime next year what kind of crap the NCHSAA comes up with. I hope Mount Airy's ADM drops so the will be 2A. They have been 3A then 2A & then they dropped to 1A now may start over again to 3A. lol
WOW, I guess I will be up all night again and sleep all day as I did today. 🛌💤

Reactions: KW23
Of course you do. Although can't argue about rolling into the playoffs with no injuries. I think you're forgetting the main point of the whole game of football. Winning. Kicking people's ass with better dudes. That's what it's about what's the line. Line up in front of the guy in front of you and make his ass quit. There was some pretty even ball games at halftime You're right That's what happens good football games. But in the second half do it some other teams for flying backwards. Including people that are going to Carolina and Duke. It's a machismo game my man. It's whipping people's ass. It's lessons learned. It's getting your ass kicked and kicking people's ass. That's it nothing more to it that's why that wussy ass throw in the ball around Don't win championships. It might win a fluke one for a while we got one. But let's keep football what it is. Not basketball on grass. Whether you like watching it or not people that have played it they know what it is. It's spitting on somebody's hand. It's somebody's nuts getting crushed in the pile. It's walking off knowing that you just had a controlled fight. Whip somebody's rear end. And it was all legal. Who in the hell wouldn't want to do that anymore. Oh wait. You cuz you want to open it up.

Roughtrader loves smashing nuts In the pile , and whipping his buddies rear end. That’s what I’m hearing. But what I’m really hearing is an east surry fanboy who used to love watching the Boaz boys and coach lowman Throw it around until Mt Airy started smacking them around. Nobody said 5 wide dork, go back to sniffing your sisters bloomers and playing Nintendo in your mamma’s basement.

Last edited:
Roughtrader loves smashing nuts In the pile , and whipping his buddies rear end. That’s what I’m hearing. But what I’m really hearing is an east surry fanboy who used to love watching the Boaz boys and coach lowman Throw it around until Mt Airy started smacking them around. Nobody said 5 wide dork, go back to sniffing your sisters bloomers and playing Nintendo in your mamma’s basement.
Bloomers. Whew. That's an old term my man. I'm surprised you like that opening it up stuff. Especially with what you are working with. You never experienced that I'm sure. Never. Loved it. Hope we get back to power football. I just like real football not this flag and seven on seven it's become. It's nice to watch someone get into running the ball. Plus nobody stopped Mount airy so why not like it. You Georgia dawgssssss you so cool. Oh stuff neck sob aren't you. Keep that head on a swivel. Oh wait you already do when you are the pivot man don't you.

One thing you got right , mamma was a B, most of the time. It was a character flaw you might say. 🤔🤔🤔Pivot man, you sure seem to know the terminology in relation to things of that nature. But man who cares it’s 2024 and you do you. Not judging. I agree the offense was effective but when you got athletes all over the field why not use them a little bit. Georgia? Not a Georgia fan , unfortunately I pull for slack brown and the heels. Be interesting to see how that offense works at the 3a level where you won’t be able to out athlete everyone. Ole wait , it didn’t work that well till he landed in MA where running backs are a premium.

Heard the same. No brainer in my opinion. It’s that 20 year hire and one the kids love. I see this next year as the best one yet. One with a POINT to prove.
Fact...MA players started and signed a petition for Austin Taylor to be the man. If he do t get you may see some not play from what I am hearing.

As I read on someone's post, Mount Airy is looking to hire someone for a long-term stay, not 6 years, and then gone after a great 6-year stay. Looking for someone like Hollingsworth from 1969 to 1990 and Holder from 1999 to 2017 and both with great winning records. Don't leave after the kids give you back-to-back State Championships with a possible 1 or 2 more to go and maybe more if you stay longer than 6 years. That lets a whole lot of people down ! Thank you for what you did but not for the letdown you left behind and thinking about your plans should have come first. Mount Airy was already primed to win with the players and assistant coaches they had and there were coaches just as good as JK and maybe better, Lowman for one applied but ended up at East Surry and starting on his year 7 even though the rumor is that he is looking to find another school. This is just my opinion so sorry if someone doesn't agree.

Guys, here is some straight talk. The Mt Airy Administration will do what is best for Mt Airy, I have no doubt. If that is Austin Taylor great. It will be because they (the Administration) thinks he is the best option.
If they go another direction, it will be for the same reason and then "we" should welcome that individual to the Bear Family.

I will tell you right now, not one player will go somewhere else. Not one player will not play because the best possible candidate got the job, if that person is not their pick.

Not one coach will go somewhere else. They may or may not coach but they will not give up a teaching position and work at another school or at McDonald's because their guy did not get the job.

Mt Airy will be exceedingly strong this coming year, we want that, every candidate for the Head Coaching position wants it. Every single current assistant coach wants it.

We should know something in the next week to 10 days, I would think.
WHAT TIME IS IT? BEAR TIME!!!!!

ANNNNNDDDD - It took Whitley one of the few posters from Mayberry that actually got this post back to where it needs to be . THAT BEING ABOUT FOOTBALL AND THE NEW MAYBERRY COACH. Thank you sir for making the money i pay to this establishment each month worth the effort. As for the clowns trying to steal the conversation talking bout nuts and mammas bloomers can you please return to the big top please. I will say it again its CLOWNS like you that kind of make this a Circus. But i guess that's the expectation when you work at a circus in CLOWNTOWN and don't actually know anything about football except what you learn from the kids that you harass in the neighborhood. They did open a jitsu gym off of cook school road in rough traders home town, cant you boys take your circus there and settle this thang once and for all. At least that way we don't# have to hear you clowns here. #CLOWNTOWN

• Haha
As I read on someone's post, Mount Airy is looking to hire someone for a long-term stay, not 6 years, and then gone after a great 6-year stay. Looking for someone like Hollingsworth from 1969 to 1990 and Holder from 1999 to 2017 and both with great winning records. Don't leave after the kids give you back-to-back State Championships with a possible 1 or 2 more to go and maybe more if you stay longer than 6 years. That lets a whole lot of people down ! Thank you for what you did but not for the letdown you left behind and thinking about your plans should have come first. Mount Airy was already primed to win with the players and assistant coaches they had and there were coaches just as good as JK and maybe better, Lowman for one applied but ended up at East Surry and starting on his year 7 even though the rumor is that he is looking to find another school. This is just my opinion so sorry if someone doesn't agree.

At the end of the day, family should always come first. I hate it for the kids at MA, but as fans, coaches, parents, admin, etc. can't understand that, shame on them. I know some of you will come on here and say he was going to be forced to resign and stuff was going to come out about him, blah blah blah. Don't even waste the time on that argument.

I know there is the family and brotherhood aspect of the team, but the ones you go home to trumps that. Maybe that's just my feeling since I have kids and a wife, but if you hold that against someone it says more about you than it does them.

Adkins isn't letting them down. He left the team in a better position than when he got there. MA is going to be fine.

At the end of the day, family should always come first. I hate it for the kids at MA, but as fans, coaches, parents, admin, etc. can't understand that, shame on them. I know some of you will come on here and say he was going to be forced to resign and stuff was going to come out about him, blah blah blah. Don't even waste the time on that argument.

I know there is the family and brotherhood aspect of the team, but the ones you go home to trumps that. Maybe that's just my feeling since I have kids and a wife, but if you hold that against someone it says more about you than it does them.

Adkins isn't letting them down. He left the team in a better position than when he got there. MA is going to be fine.
And the way some on this board talk about coaches is exactly why you always do what’s best for your family.

Fact...MA players started and signed a petition for Austin Taylor to be the man. If he do t get you may see some not play from what I am hearing.
Nothing like a bunch of 16-18 year olds doing this and claiming they won’t play. Says a lot about their character if they actually don’t end up playing because of who they pick (or don’t pick) as a coach.

I was part of a hiring committee as an OC back in the mid-2010’s and myself and the 4 other guys picked who we thought would be the best fit for our program. We picked highly successful OC who hadn’t had his first crack to be a HC yet. Our returning players would ask me “Coach - why did y’all pick this guy - he doesn’t have HC experience!”…

First year we go 12-3, including a 10-game winning streak, break all sorts of offensive (and defensive) school records all while being 1 game away from the state championship. Next year…we win 11 games and go to the western semi’s.

All that to say this - MA won’t get the hire wrong, there are too many great options to choose from - as I’m sure the cream of the crop in NC (and elsewhere) have put their hat in the ring for this one.

ANNNNNDDDD - It took Whitley one of the few posters from Mayberry that actually got this post back to where it needs to be . THAT BEING ABOUT FOOTBALL AND THE NEW MAYBERRY COACH. Thank you sir for making the money i pay to this establishment each month worth the effort. As for the clowns trying to steal the conversation talking bout nuts and mammas bloomers can you please return to the big top please. I will say it again its CLOWNS like you that kind of make this a Circus. But i guess that's the expectation when you work at a circus in CLOWNTOWN and don't actually know anything about football except what you learn from the kids that you harass in the neighborhood. They did open a jitsu gym off of cook school road in rough traders home town, cant you boys take your circus there and settle this thang once and for all. At least that way we don't# have to hear you clowns here. #CLOWNTOWN
Whew. So many Clowns. I'm assuming I'm one. Just so we can make the backwards hat wearing, rapping country music fan, fedora wearing, jogger wearing, and maybe all out curb stomped head of clown man not blow up. We will take it back to football. You make a good point. The only one you ever have.

Nothing like a bunch of 16-18 year olds doing this and claiming they won’t play. Says a lot about their character if they actually don’t end up playing because of who they pick (or don’t pick) as a coach.

I was part of a hiring committee as an OC back in the mid-2010’s and myself and the 4 other guys picked who we thought would be the best fit for our program. We picked highly successful OC who hadn’t had his first crack to be a HC yet. Our returning players would ask me “Coach - why did y’all pick this guy - he doesn’t have HC experience!”…

First year we go 12-3, including a 10-game winning streak, break all sorts of offensive (and defensive) school records all while being 1 game away from the state championship. Next year…we win 11 games and go to the western semi’s.

All that to say this - MA won’t get the hire wrong, there are too many great options to choose from - as I’m sure the cream of the crop in NC (and elsewhere) have put their hat in the ring for this one.
Shows a lot about their character.....it's called loyalty to one of there own!

Last edited:
Reactions: richardtrickle10
I will respect a man / woman when he /she or preferred pronoun says something that actually makes since. ( taking the conversation back to football ) Since that is the stance that the poster known as Rough trader is taking is the correct one then i will redact my Clown town character reference at the moment. So who are the top prospects for the Andy Taylor position at Mayberry High school. I keep p hearing the Taylor kid but does he really have the experience to take the role of Head Coach? I also hear that state championship coaches have applied and from the outside looking in it would be awful hard to pass up on that resume if that's a true statement. Some say its a loyalty issue if they don't hire the kid. Guess the real question is does this take mayberry out of title contention this season? Hearing Boonville could win the conference championship, but hearing a coaching change in Boonville could be coming as well , anyone else hearing that

Last edited:
Reactions: realjoejr
I will respect a man / woman when he /she or preferred pronoun says something that actually makes since. ( taking the conversation back to football ) Since that the stance that the poster known as Rough trader is the correct one i will redact my Clown town character reference at the moment. So who are the top prospects for the Andy Taylor position at Mayberry High school. I keep p hearing the Taylor kid but does he really have the experience to take the role of Head Coach? I also hear that state championship coaches have applied and from the outside looking in it would be awful hard to pass up on that resume if that's a true statement. Some say its a loyalty issue if they don't hire the kid. Guess the real question is does this take mayberry out of title contention this season? Hearing Boonville could win the conference championship, but hearing a coaching change in Boonville could be coming as well , anyone else hearing that
Booneville is gonna be good. But they have gotten mashed in both varsity and JV every year by the bears which is a lot better measure than the middle school games they hang their hats on. Don't see that happening. Especially with the only tough kid they had graduating. I too need to chill my hot head self down. I do apologize for that. I think Taylor is the way to go. Hungry, 10 plus years of coaching and a defensive genius.

I have heard there was a HOF coach that was in Mt Airy last week.

Wondering if he interviewed while he was there.

UPDATE: Announcement of new Head Football Coach to come early “Next Week”
Kids are on Spring break and the returning players will meet the new HC first before it is announced to the public …stay tuned
Let's hope no one has to think they have to be the one that announces it before the kids know and leeks it. Bearman started this thread and should be the one that makes the announcement. I know we all like to be the first but let the Bearman do it and then it can be discussed ! I am sure they made the best choice for the school and team.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: buzzcoach
UPDATE: Announcement of new Head Football Coach to come early “Next Week”
Kids are on Spring break and the returning players will meet the new HC first before it is announced to the public …stay tuned

Everyone check your snapchat and other socials shortly after the meeting.

If they are meeting the kids before it's announced I bet it's in house.

Let's hope no one has to think they have to be the one that announces it before the kids know and leeks it. Bearman started this thread and should be the one that makes the announcement. I know we all like to be the first but let the Bearman do it and then it can be discussed ! I am sure they made the best choice for the school and team.
Ik but will not tell you!

Ik but will not tell you!
Sorry, but the friend I met in the grocery store about 6 weeks ago who told me things about you that I told you about has already told me but I promised not to let it out, and I want. I saw him again later this afternoon around 7 pm and he is more of an insider than I knew. And oh yes, he was 99% sure and he is in the know from other things I was told. I have known this person since I worked for the Mount Airy News.

Last edited:
Looks like the title that Gdawg and Roughtrader held for so long has a couple newholders. Got a semi old fat clown giving a really old clown a hard time about being the longest living clown in granite bear history and both are worried a about being the top clown poster under the Mayberry Big top. Geeeezz Guys really, give it rest. The news will come out soon enough. We might not be able to win a playoff game across the river but we sure dont eat each other from the inside out. We just support each other and the kids that play the game. You clowns across the creek are a different breed of clowns indeed. Why cant it be about football and the kids with yall, who cares about the drama you two men / women or what ever pronoun you go by bring to the board. BE CLASSY not TRASHY clowns.

Looks like the title that Gdawg and Roughtrader held for so long has a couple newholders. Got a semi old fat clown giving a really old clown a hard time about being the longest living clown in granite bear history and both are worried a about being the top clown poster under the Mayberry Big top. Geeeezz Guys really, give it rest. The news will come out soon enough. We might not be able to win a playoff game across the river but we sure dont eat each other from the inside out. We just support each other and the kids that play the game. You clowns across the creek are a different breed of clowns indeed. Why cant it be about football and the kids with yall, who cares about the drama you two men / women or what ever pronoun you go by bring to the board. BE CLASSY not TRASHY clowns.
You are very classy calling people names! Are you talking about football and the coaching situation or calling people names and putting them down. You stay classy man!!!!

You are very classy calling people names! Are you talking about football and the coaching situation or calling people names and putting them down. You stay classy man!!!!
IM CALLING A SPADE A SPADE AND THE DRAMA YOU CONTINUE BRING IS UNWARRANTED AND UNNECESSARY. CLASSLESS. I WILL TALK FOOTBALL WHEN THE TRASH IS TOOK OUT. One question? How come Mayberry fans cant come together and support a program that has all the hall marks of tradition , legacy, building kids into quality young men, championships. Why continue to eat each other from inside out? Wonder what the kids think when they see you clowns acting the way you act on here? Yes i continue to say clowns as thats what you and the others continue to present yourself as. Thats REAL TALK and a REAL QUESTION

Shows a lot about their character.....it's called loyalty to one of there own!
Loyalty to one of their own by screwing over all their other teammates...yeah, I would say it says a lot about their character if they choose not to play because they are butt hurt that adults made a decision that was best for the overall program instead of catering to the opinions of some 16-18 year olds and their parents.

I will respect a man / woman when he /she or preferred pronoun says something that actually makes since. ( taking the conversation back to football ) Since that the stance that the poster known as Rough trader is the correct one i will redact my Clown town character reference at the moment. So who are the top prospects for the Andy Taylor position at Mayberry High school. I keep p hearing the Taylor kid but does he really have the experience to take the role of Head Coach? I also hear that state championship coaches have applied and from the outside looking in it would be awful hard to pass up on that resume if that's a true statement. Some say its a loyalty issue if they don't hire the kid. Guess the real question is does this take mayberry out of title contention this season? Hearing Boonville could win the conference championship, but hearing a coaching change in Boonville could be coming as well , anyone else hearing that
Booneville is gonna be good. But they have gotten mashed in both varsity and JV every year by the bears which is a lot better measure than the middle school games they hang their hats on. Don't see that happening. Especially with the only tough kid they had graduating. I too need to chill my hot head self down. I do apologize for that. I think Taylor is the way to go. Hungry, 10 plus years of coaching and a defensive fen
Loyalty to one of their own by screwing over all their other teammates...yeah, I would say it says a lot about their character if they choose not to play because they are butt hurt that adults made a decision that was best for the overall program instead of catering to the opinions of some 16-18 year olds and their parents.
Not really sure the two names I'm hearing would be better rthan the in staff guy. Especially when you have is uncle and father on staff. A great position coach coordinator and a three time state finalist, one time state champion and a 5 time regional finalist as the other one. I don't think any of the kids I've heard about would want to switch schools. I've heard there is a few from other schools that want to come to Mayberry . Is there some jealousy?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT