ADVERTISEMENT

Head Football Coach at Mt Airy

Well the deadline for applicants closes tomorrow!!! We shall see what happens. I’ve heard a few names and the candidates are very good. Only question will be, how fast do the start interviews and make a decision?

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Well the deadline for applicants closes tomorrow!!! We shall see what happens. I’ve heard a few names and the candidates are very good. Only question will be, how fast do the start interviews and make a decision?
I say maybe 2 or maybe 3 more weeks starting Monday unless they already have a pretty good idea. They will take whatever time need to make the best decision IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: buzzcoach
Put it out there with the names you heard.
Lips seemed to be sealed around town. Locked down like the Coronals recipe for chicken at kfc
I have not even heard rumors about rumors. This is quieter than a heart surgery ward. I am feeling left out!

Reactions: gdawg74
I still haven't heard a name yet, with a better resume than former West Forsyth and Watauga Coach Adrian Snow. He's really nice fit but I still don't know if he's ready to coach again or if he applied. One of the winningest coaches in North Carolina who might be in his late forty's.
Would be a good hire, Surry Central graduate. Very familiar with recruiting HS athletes coming from Forsyth County. . Could use those years to get to his 30 with state.

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
LOL ER doesn't really mean anything, therefore, I have nothing to do with Eastern Randolph.

However, I am amazed that nothing of MAHS and the search has really been mentioned since the deadline has passed.

Hope to hear some good news for the Granite Bears soon.

Reactions: thekidd12
LOL ER doesn't really mean anything, therefore, I have nothing to do with Eastern Randolph.

However, I am amazed that nothing of MAHS and the search has really been mentioned since the deadline has passed.

Hey…
Thems good people in eastern part of Randolph!!!

Little smart alecky but good people! 😂

Out of respect for the the names I’ve heard and the fact that they have jobs currently I do not want to share those names. I will say that some have coached state championship games, some have won state championship game/s, and some have done amazing jobs at the schools they’re currently working at. MAHS will have a deep pool to choose from. Good luck to all.

As for Randolph Co. there are definitely great people there. I’ve been to the zoo several times. I’ve gotten ice cream at MAYBERRY (ironic) and had some Chinese food at Bamboo Garden in its prime.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Out of respect for the the names I’ve heard and the fact that they have jobs currently I do not want to share those names. I will say that some have coached state championship games, some have won state championship game/s, and some have done amazing jobs at the schools they’re currently working at. MAHS will have a deep pool to choose from. Good luck to all.

As for Randolph Co. there are definitely great people there. I’ve been to the zoo several times. I’ve gotten ice cream at MAYBERRY (ironic) and had some Chinese food at Bamboo Garden in its prime.

Isnt there a current coordinator that has been there a while and should be the front runner?

From what I hear the young coach that everyone has mentioned on here is the only on staff coach that’s applied. I apologize if I’m wrong but the DC may be his dad. Again, I apologize if I’m wrong but the young coach that’s applied is not a coordinator.

Reactions: gdawg74
From what I hear the young coach that everyone has mentioned on here is the only on staff coach that’s applied. I apologize if I’m wrong but the DC may be his dad. Again, I apologize if I’m wrong but the young coach that’s applied is not a coordinator.
He is a co ordinator. He's the co defensive coordinator with his dad. That's been well known for at least 4 years, well since my kin was playing there anyway. He's the one that most folks feel should get the job. Haven't heard who they interviewed but I'm sure he's one of them. Most people think he's the best candidate from what I hear. He can also be the weightlifting guy and ran the off-season workout stuff.

He is a co ordinator. He's the co defensive coordinator with his dad. That's been well known for at least 4 years, well since my kin was playing there anyway. He's the one that most folks feel should get the job. Haven't heard who they interviewed but I'm sure he's one of them. Most people think he's the best candidate from what I hear. He can also be the weightlifting guy and ran the off-season workout stuff.

Applications closed Friday. I imagine they are going through candidate pool to establish interview targets.

If I were guessing I’d say they’re starting interviews this week. Candidate pool should be determined.

Coach Hollingsworth was there for about 21 years and after he left 2 assistant coaches took over, 1st 1991 assistant Dave Diamont took over for 5 years then assistant under Hollingsworth and Diamont for 3 years was Eddie Cobb took over. they each had about a 60% or less win record and Diamont ended up a better fit at East Surry and Cobb went to a Forsyth County school then came coach Holder for about 18 years with a great winning record. By the way, coach Hollingsworth was an assistant under the 1968 Western State Championship coach Alex Gibbs who moved on to college and the then NFL. Coach Hollingsworth went on to be the runner-up in the 1969 Western State Championship. Back then there was no overall State Championship, only a Western and Eastern State Championship. So if we go by what Hollingsworth did an assistant can do great things in his first year and that was playing 3A football back then with 1A numbers because all the area schools that I remember back then were 3A, even North Stokes played 3A. So what can we expect, an assistant coach or an outsider, good question ? Mount Airy has been through it all in picking coaches and I think they make the right decision this go-round !
I just looked this up and hope I am not off on any of it. I pretty much knew it all but was not sure about the years of each coach.

Last edited:

East Rowan? East Rutherford?

Again, ER doesn’t really mean anything, especially anymore lol. I have no ties to Rutherford or Rowan but like Randolph they have great people and places.

Just a fan of football that knows people around the state.

Coach Hollingsworth was there for about 21 years and after he left 2 assistant coaches took over, 1st 1991 assistant Dave Diamont took over for 5 years then assistant under Hollingsworth and Diamont for 3 years was Eddie Cobb took over. they each had about a 60% or less win record and Diamont ended up a better fit at East Surry and Cobb went to a Forsyth County school then came coach Holder for about 18 years with a great winning record. By the way, coach Hollingsworth was an assistant under the 1968 Western State Championship coach Alex Gibbs who moved on to college and the then NFL. Coach Hollingsworth went on to be the runner-up in the 1969 Western State Championship. Back then there was no overall State Championship, only a Western and Eastern State Championship. So if we go by what Hollingsworth did an assistant can do great things in his first year and that was playing 3A football back then with 1A numbers because all the area schools that I remember back then were 3A, even North Stokes played 3A. So what can we expect, an assistant coach or an outsider, good question ? Mount Airy has been through it all in picking coaches and I think they make the right decision this go-round !
I just looked this up and hope I am not off on any of it. I pretty much knew it all but was not sure about the years of each coach.
Diamont wasn't an assistant for Holly in 1991 and Cobb went to Michigan before returning to NC.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingbluedevil
I can remember 3 or 4 of Coach Hollingsworth's assistant coaches, Tony George, Dave Diamont, & Eddie Cobb, and a 4th but can't remember his name. He went on to be the principal at Mount Airy High and a 5th I think was Donald Price. I am sure someone remembers the one's name that went on to be the principal. I am lucky to remember what I do when I can't remember something that happened this morning or yesterday. Short-term memory is getting bad.

I can remember 3 or 4 of Coach Hollingsworth's assistant coaches, Tony George, Dave Diamont, & Eddie Cobb, and a 4th but can't remember his name. He went on to be the principal at Mount Airy High and a 5th I think was Donald Price. I am sure someone remembers the one's name that went on to be the principal. I am lucky to remember what I do when I can't remember something that happened this morning or yesterday. Short-term memory is getting bad.
George Snyder and Floyd Jones went on to be Principles at MA I played for all of them. Tony George was ISS Teacher and coached basketball as well as football. Played for Eddie Cobb and Holly bear was the best!!

Johnnie Paul Long helped Holly in the ‘70’s and David Atkins, Gary Willis, Dennis France, Scott Carter and Chad Beasley helped Diamont in the ‘90’s. Donald Price was under Diamont in the ‘90’s.

All the talk of Diamont brings the thought that another Diamont is in the rough.

Although it’s possible, my thoughts are this is an in house hire and has been since the beginning. If not I’d be surprised. Many have come on here and shared their opinions that if the in house hire isn’t made that coaches and kids would leave. If he’s the best candidate so be it, but let’s be honest just because you’re on staff doesn’t make you the best candidate. The good thing for this young man would be that JK has built a monster and the monster has tasted victory. The biggest issue will be preventing complacency. Everyone knows he will still have his pops on staff and Holder will be there to keep the ship straight til he learns all the lessons he needs. I know some will bash these thoughts but that all they are my thoughts. We shall see how it plays out.

Snyder

All the talk of Diamont brings the thought that another Diamont is in the rough.

Although it’s possible, my thoughts are this is an in house hire and has been since the beginning. If not I’d be surprised. Many have come on here and shared their opinions that if the in house hire isn’t made that coaches and kids would leave. If he’s the best candidate so be it, but let’s be honest just because you’re on staff doesn’t make you the best candidate. The good thing for this young man would be that JK has built a monster and the monster has tasted victory. The biggest issue will be preventing complacency. Everyone knows he will still have his pops on staff and Holder will be there to keep the ship straight til he learns all the lessons he needs. I know some will bash these thoughts but that all they are my thoughts. We shall see how it plays out.

If you have a guy on staff that is capable, and he would have experience and wisdom to help him learn, that's always the safest route to go. It would take a BIG name to want to go another route.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT