ADVERTISEMENT

Hayesville at Mt Airy

Hats off to MA Defensive game plan. Our DLine was in the backfield all night. Hayesville is a gritty bunch that played hard all night. Safe travels for a large contingent of Yellow Jacket fans!!!
Yes Hayesville, do have a safe trip home. If it comes down to #4 Mount Airy vs #2 Andrews, then it could be Mount Airy with the long trip to and from Andrews but I will have to pull for the BEARS in that game too. Best of luck in basketball !

Yes Hayesville, do have a safe trip home. If it comes down to #4 Mount Airy vs #2 Andrews, then it could be Mount Airy with the long trip to and from Andrews but I will have to pull for the BEARS in that game too. Best of luck in basketball !
Not to get ahead of things, but one of the best basketball teams Andrews ever had ended their season in the regional round against future Wake Forest Demon Deacon Richard Joyce and the Granite Bears about 20 years ago. So Andrews owes them one.

Not to get ahead of things, but one of the best basketball teams Andrews ever had ended their season in the regional round against future Wake Forest Demon Deacon Richard Joyce and the Granite Bears about 20 years ago. So Andrews owes them one.
If that was in I think 2002 then Mount Airy won the State Basketball Ship against Plymouth. I was there shooting pictures for the Mount Airy News at the Dean Smith Center. I still have my NCHSAA Press pass that took place March 15 & 16 2002. Those were my good ole days. Now I am all too 4ell. LOL

Joyce transferred to Oak Hill in 02 and they won state without him. This was 00 or 01. Andrews made regionals both years.

Joyce transferred to Oak Hill in 02 and they won state without him. This was 00 or 01. Andrews made regionals both years.
Well, in that case, Mount Airy won the state ship in 2002 without Joyce and I remember him leaving Mount Airy' If I remember Mount Airy was really good and Oak Hill JVs came and played Mount Airy and maybe talked Joyce into coming up there. I think Mount Airy lost a close game. I know they played and tried to pull it up on MaxPrep but it only goes back to 2005

Reactions: Purple1995
Well, in that case, Mount Airy won the stat ship in 2002 without Joyce and I remember him leaving Mount Airy' If I remember Mount Airy was really and Oak Hill JVs came and played Mount Airy and maybe talked Joyce into coming up there. I think Mount Airy lost a close game. I know they played and tryed to pull it up on MaxPrep but it only goes back to 2005
Wake requested Richard to go play at Oak Hill for more experience against the big boys

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Well, in that case, Mount Airy won the state ship in 2002 without Joyce and I remember him leaving Mount Airy' If I remember Mount Airy was really good and Oak Hill JVs came and played Mount Airy and maybe talked Joyce into coming up there. I think Mount Airy lost a close game. I know they played and tried to pull it up on MaxPrep but it only goes back to 2005
Hey you ready to break last years record 28 pages if I remember lol

• Haha
Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Bears playing Draughn may get us there since they beat Mitchell. Can they beat Andrews next week ? I think that 28k started with MA losing and I kept pulling for Mitchell then a lot of others jumped in and lasted until Mitchell played Tarboro but on the Mount Airy vs Mitchell Thread.

Robbinsville too buzz. Whole backfield returns.
We should be a SMC champs next year and get one of the 1 seeds. Was picked to this year but injuries during the middle of the season hurt that.

All on Varsity?
Yes sir. Hey, BK is the Dungeon still open? I moved from Robbinsville (managed the Stanley Furniture plant) to Marion (actually worked in Spruce Pine) in February of 1987, and they had great steaks. We went to the First Baptist Church where Clifford Holland was the pastor then. Doug Millsaps (Post office), and his son Craig and his wife Connie were our best friends. We have some good memories of Graham County. Good luck to the Black Knights next year. Looking forward to two very good teams in Robbinsville and Mt. Airy. Hope we meet on the football field and in the stands (at Mt. Airy of course LOL)!

Robbinsville too buzz. Whole backfield returns.
We should be a SMC champs next year and get one of the 1 seeds. Was picked to this year but injuries during the middle of the season hurt that.
One thing that helps Robbinsville they have a plethora of Offensive lineman returning. I really don’t think it would matter who the running back is they way those big men open up holes. But it also helps you’ve got some of the best Running backs in the conference returning as well. So yes Robbinsville should be looking to return to their normal top seed.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Yes sir. Hey, BK is the Dungeon still open? I moved from Robbinsville (managed the Stanley Furniture plant) to Marion (actually worked in Spruce Pine) in February of 1987, and they had great steaks. We went to the First Baptist Church where Clifford Holland was the pastor then. Doug Millsaps (Post office), and his son Craig and his wife Connie were our best friends. We have some good memories of Graham County. Good luck to the Black Knights next year. Looking forward to two very good teams in Robbinsville and Mt. Airy. Hope we meet on the football field and in the stands (at Mt. Airy of course LOL)!

It's been closed 25 or 30 years. Great place to eat steak. It's a Mexican restaurant now.

If we meet next year it will more th as n likely be in the Granite city. Reason I say that is Robbinsville plays one of the toughest scheduled every year and we would have to go undefeated to get home field.
Good luck.

Bk..i almost would bet ya that Mt.Airy would beat everyone on your schedule..this year and next....yep just saw your schedule...for this past year..Andrews would be the only one that challenges Mt.Airy this year on your schedule...just my opinion.

Last edited:
Was just going to say that Asheville would be a hard game for any 1a team but heard they were dropping Robbinsville next year.

Reactions: BK13T-$
i think they would challenge Mt.Airy..but didn't you guys ( Robbinsville)beat Asheville pretty bad a few years ago...so yeah they're 3a...but just like Mitchell beat a good 3a Statesville team a few years back..i definitely see this years Mt.Airy team beating a good Asheville team.

They are 4a and it was last year we beat them and it was as close as it could be this year.

Thats a testament to a great couple of 1a programs...to expect to compete or beat a good 4a team...💯💯💯

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT