ADVERTISEMENT

Garinger

BlueDevil1996

May 20, 2020
Once Again Garinger is looking for a new HC. I understand Garinger is a tough job and tough ask for any coach but they really need some stability. I know there football stadium isn’t bad and they do have SOME talent, If someone can win 3-4 game a yr at Garinger that would be a extreme improvement

Once Again Garinger is looking for a new HC. I understand Garinger is a tough job and tough ask for any coach but they really need some stability. I know there football stadium isn’t bad and they do have SOME talent, If someone can win 3-4 game a yr at Garinger that would be a extreme improvement
That seems like every year they start over.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
That seems like every year they start over.
Yeah - Idk what the issues are inside n out - Idk if it’s a Admin problem or whatever but they need someone who patient and allow do what they need to do make them better and Atleast be there for 4-5 yrs not 1 or 3 yrs I mean They need stability

Like I said above they have had 3 season where they won at 3 games but their best season was 2010-11 where they were 7-5. If they win 3-4 games every yr consistently they would be a vast improvement

I was curious about the student population. Does anyone know many students are at Garinger.

Last edited:
2200 kids damn thats should be enough. But sometimes and I can attest to this sometimes it may look like there is enough but there isn't.
I agree, I mean they may have 2200 kids but I am really not sure ins n outs of garinger i mean idk what talent is in that area n even if there is I am sure MC, Covian, Chambers n such all on that side so tough area

I agree, I mean they may have 2200 kids but I am really not sure ins n outs of garinger i mean idk what talent is in that area n even if there is I am sure MC, Covian, Chambers n such all on that side so tough area
I would assume Garinger is just a bigger Parkland. So I get it but those places like Garinger are so very tough to get fixed.

Not sure what the numbers are now but fifteen years ago or so the Asian and Hispanic population at Garinger was near the top for those groups at all the Meck high schools. That makes it a bit more difficult for athletics and football specifically.

Not sure what the numbers are now but fifteen years ago or so the Asian and Hispanic population at Garinger was near the top for those groups at all the Meck high schools. That makes it a bit more difficult for athletics and football specifically.
That what AZ has they have a higher Asian , Hispanic pop. so I understand this demographic but They can still be successful but I think succcess is different in AZ then here if u are that race if that make sense bc they have to play those sports here they don’t have play that sports

Also Just looking it up -‘Just going off what some these websites say - It’s roughly 42-47% Hispanic and 40-42% African American/Black ; Asian is around 7%

That what AZ has they have a higher Asian , Hispanic pop. so I understand this demographic but They can still be successful but I think succcess is different in AZ then here if u are that race if that make sense bc they have to play those sports here they don’t have play that sports

Also Just looking it up -‘Just going off what some these websites say - It’s roughly 42-47% Hispanic and 40-42% African American/Black ; Asian is around 7%
What is AZ? With those demographics they should win Soccer every year. I know there are athletes there. When I coached against them many, many years ago while at North Meck, they had small numbers and lots of problems in the school with discipline. To change a football program, typically there is some culture change in the school climate. Statesville used to be very much the same situation. JMO. Then they had some stability with someone invested in changing it for the lon run and became good (ish). Biggest issue there is definitely stability. It will take a special person to change Garingers program. A Strong Administration is extremely important to the school culture and climate. So, Garinger may need that as well to fix the football program.

What is AZ? With those demographics they should win Soccer every year. I know there are athletes there. When I coached against them many, many years ago while at North Meck, they had small numbers and lots of problems in the school with discipline. To change a football program, typically there is some culture change in the school climate. Statesville used to be very much the same situation. JMO. Then they had some stability with someone invested in changing it for the lon run and became good (ish). Biggest issue there is definitely stability. It will take a special person to change Garingers program. A Strong Administration is extremely important to the school culture and climate. So, Garinger may need that as well to fix the football program.
AZ = Arizona bc I lived there for 1 yr until I moved back to NC so I got see Different things

So I agree with what u said - I agree they should be good at some sports but Struggled in even those. I agree with your assessment of Statesville n Garinger n also I agree with They need a strong Admin to willing start from the ground up and work to get it to a respectable program

I did see Garinger get some of Sugar Creek, Noda and Windsor area of CLT so Idk what type of talent n such is there but I believe there some but like I said with MC, Corvian and Chambers within a somewhat relative area of Where Garinger is I mean most talent goes there

Reactions: Steelers71
Garinger issues start with number of eligible bodies that are interested in football. The key word is eligible. CMS allowed them to play down in JV football 2 years ago to try and generate interest and allow them to become competitive. When they came up to varsity this year, they were competitive against Harding and East Meck but everyone else it was a similar story.

They dont get many athletes in their zone to play because of the stigma of the school and grade issues. The last real success they had there, they were able to build up a class of kids and keep them together. The problem now is that anyone decent comes along they get recruited to go somewhere else and play. Along with constant changes in administration and just not enough people to help, it's a very tough job.

You have to get everyone aligned and get buy in to do even more than what everyone else does. The problem is, everyone wants to jump on something already made and not make something themselves. You almost need a coaching staff to come in together and aligned with a plan to hit the ground running because one HC trying to hire guys with a few players isn't going to be enough in 2023.

Just out of curiosity I looked at Garinger football roster from last season. From what I seen only 26 players listed on the roster. About 6 or so were listed as seniors. Could be more because there were some that was not listed as what grade they were. I was surprised to see the number of Sophomores mixed with freshmens. Imagine if you could get 40-50 players to turn out and most of them Jrs and seniors as to what kind of team you could have.

Last edited:
I wonder if the HC is going back to Kannapolis?

Back in the early 2000s, 2000-2004 when I was in high school, Garinger was mostly Black even though the Hispanic students weren’t too far behind. They had some athletes and big guys walking the halls but they weren’t interested in playing football. Many preferred basketball and they had a couple of great years in basketball. I wish a good coach could’ve gotten them rolling back in those days and establish a culture

Garinger has multiple factors working against them, but they do have a great principal who has great sports knowledge. We need to rethink how we judge Garinger sports. Their goal is not to be super competitive, but field teams so that athletes that want to play have a chance to play. Plain and simple just field teams.

Garinger has changed so much demographic wise that any good football or basketball player simply avoids the school from middle schools. Its one thing to have a bad academic stigma, but to have bad athletic, social, and academic stigmas is very tough to overcome. But as mentioned above the athletes that play at Garinger are glad for the opportunity that they may not have had at a different school. You think its easy playing football at Garinger? Those youth and coaches should be applauded IMHO. But if we were to fix da G here are the keys,

1. See if the NCHSAA will allow them to play 3A ball despite their enrollment. Their enrollment numbers are deceptive as they do not get the same type of student that most CMS schools receive. We have seen year after year, coach after coach, sport after sport. They just dont get the athletes in bulk to compete. Moving to a lower level gives them a better shot at mild success.

2. Hire a group of coaches and offer an extra stipend for coaching football at Garinger. Turning football around has to be a group approach. Garinger has had some good HCs recently, but they need an overall staff even with low numbers. HS asst. coaches are super key to any programs long term success.

3. Better feeder middle schools/zone. Most of the top HS have great feeder middleschools. Garinger has Cochrane which is not what it used to be. Northridge goes to Rocky River. And eastway is eastway. Not much help coming in as 9th graders. Maybe assigning Northridge to Garinger and that back side of Eastbrook to Gringer vs. Rocky River. Still some athletes in Hampshire HIlls/ Eastbrook/Shamrock area but they get sent to other schools.

Perhaps time will be on this new principal's side. But he need to stem the outflow of good teachers and coaches. Some of those incentives could be the solution, but you know that those would be near impossible to implement within CMS without being equitable to the other schools.

Perhaps time will be on this new principal's side. But he need to stem the outflow of good teachers and coaches. Some of those incentives could be the solution, but you know that those would be near impossible to implement within CMS without being equitable to the other schools.
Agree fully on that, CMS has a teacher shortage on all levels, and one of the issues with suburban cities are that teachers don't live in the immediate community. Garinger losses teachers not so much because of the school itself, but because of travel times back home from school. After COVID people want less travel, and less stress. Then when you get a little success you move to a different school leaving a school like Garinger with a revolving door of teachers/coaches. You have to be committed to a school like Garinger. CMS has used Garinger as a dumping ground to keep the southern schools intact, and the Independence corridor schools low on Spanish speakers.

Lets call it what it is. Garinger is the unofficial Spanish speaking/Central Ave school and Eastway pipeline. Its there to help students graduate highschool and be productive citizens in life. That's why Cochrane/Eastway are basically trade middle schools. They don't want to call it that but Garinger is a highschool designed for children to graduate and go into the workforce as productive citizens. Sports are not a big focus at all, as it shouldn't be.

-If I'm ever in government office the first thing I'm doing is paying teachers more, paying coaches much more, and paying those that work with the elderly much much more. They are truly people who effect outcome of society.

1. See if the NCHSAA will allow them to play 3A ball despite their enrollment. Their enrollment numbers are deceptive as they do not get the same type of student that most CMS schools receive. We have seen year after year, coach after coach, sport after sport. They just dont get the athletes in bulk to compete. Moving to a lower level gives them a better shot at mild success.

2. Hire a group of coaches and offer an extra stipend for coaching football at Garinger. Turning football around has to be a group approach. Garinger has had some good HCs recently, but they need an overall staff even with low numbers. HS asst. coaches are super key to any programs long term success.

3. Better feeder middle schools/zone. Most of the top HS have great feeder middleschools. Garinger has Cochrane which is not what it used to be. Northridge goes to Rocky River. And eastway is eastway. Not much help coming in as 9th graders. Maybe assigning Northridge to Garinger and that back side of Eastbrook to Gringer vs. Rocky River. Still some athletes in Hampshire HIlls/ Eastbrook/Shamrock area but they get sent to other schools.
1. Is somewhat of a hard sale due to the door it will open but something needs to be figured out.

2. So much is needed at Garinger, CMS, NC, and in many parts of the country.

3. It is hard to justify sending in more students when the school has nearly 2,200 enrollment. If anything I would prefer to see the ADM reduced bringing the district in tighter geographically to lower enrollment and really push the community school narrative.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
AZ = Arizona bc I lived there for 1 yr until I moved back to NC so I got see Different things

So I agree with what u said - I agree they should be good at some sports but Struggled in even those. I agree with your assessment of Statesville n Garinger n also I agree with They need a strong Admin to willing start from the ground up and work to get it to a respectable program

I did see Garinger get some of Sugar Creek, Noda and Windsor area of CLT so Idk what type of talent n such is there but I believe there some but like I said with MC, Corvian and Chambers within a somewhat relative area of Where Garinger is I mean most talent goes there
Most definitely.

1. Is somewhat of a hard sale due to the door it will open but something needs to be figured out.

2. So much is needed at Garinger, CMS, NC, and in many parts of the country.

3. It is hard to justify sending in more students when the school has nearly 2,200 enrollment. If anything I would prefer to see the ADM reduced bringing the district in tighter geographically to lower enrollment and really push the community school narrative.
See in AZ HS football is its own entity n they uses totally different formulas n such then here in NC and so one of those is they go by Success n non success

So just for a example let’s Say Garinger was 4A in AZ n they were bad then they could get moved down to a 3A conference now Depending on Success in 3A they may stay for 2 yr or more but they could get move right back to 3A with Success after 2 yrs but sometimes it’s inconsistent and it varies on schools bc some get moved , some don’t , some appeals go thur some down etc so I agree it does open a can of worms bc No matter the Formula any state uses there always going be Issues or could be better or whatever

So sometimes u see team go from 4a to 3A - That team win a state title in those 2-3 yrs then they get moved right back up to 4A

Reactions: bigdadd11103
See in AZ HS football is its own entity n they uses totally different formulas n such then here in NC and so one of those is they go by Success n non success

So just for a example let’s Say Garinger was 4A in AZ n they were bad then they could get moved down to a 3A conference now Depending on Success in 3A they may stay for 2 yr or more but they could get move right back to 3A with Success after 2 yrs but sometimes it’s inconsistent and it varies on schools bc some get moved , some don’t , some appeals go thur some down etc so I agree it does open a can of worms bc No matter the Formula any state uses there always going be Issues or could be better or whatever

So sometimes u see team go from 4a to 3A - That team win a state title in those 2-3 yrs then they get moved right back up to 4A
Blue Devils its a great idea, but agree will open a big can of worms. But if folks cant see Garinger needs help in many ways and in many sports they have no compassion. Parkland has struggled but had success some years. Garinger has been regularly down since the early 90s. Even during the spike in the mid 90s it was moderate success before bottoming out. Love the idea but a 4A team that could win a ship at 3A level by dropping doesnt seem like a good canidate. We are seeing this in 3A basketball. The former 4A teams are dominating.

Reactions: btango
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT