ADVERTISEMENT

Freedom

How many kids y’all get from Virginia. I saw some MA stickers on Vehicles with Virginia tags.
When you cross the Virginia state line up HWY 52, it is about 2.5 miles from Mount Airy and you are in Cana Va. and about 18 to 20 miles from the nearest Va, high school it being Carroll Co. High and less than 4 miles to Mount Airy high. Probably 95% of the working families have to work in Mount Airy and some probably have brought their kids to city schools since they started rather than send the 18 to 20 miles up HWY-52 which is a curvy mountain that has banned tractor-trailers from use of this 3-mile portion of HWY-52 because of so many wrecks coming down that mountain that goes up and past the Blueridge Parkway. Where would you send your kids 4 miles on a safer HWY or up that mountain 18 miles to Carroll Co. High ?
All know where to go to see the best High School Football game in our area and across the Virginia line.

Cana, Va : The median income for a household in the CDP was $27,625, and the median income for a family was $38,625. Males had a median income of $25,600 versus $21,538 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $14,859. About 6.6% of families and 12.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.5% of those under age 18 and 22.2% of those age 65 or over. Maybe enough non-seasonal jobs for 5% of Cana and with the orchards in and around Cana maybe 8 to 10% jobs are available to Cana residents. So Mount Airy get workers from Carroll & Pattrick Counties with Patrick Co. line maybe 4 miles out HWY-104 going Ararat, Va. maybe 8 miles from Mount Airy. and 10 to 15 miles from Patrick County High.

• Haha
Reactions: buzzcoach
When you cross the Virginia state line up HWY 52, it is about 2.5 miles from Mount Airy and you are in Cana Va. and about 18 to 20 miles from the nearest Va, high school it being Carroll Co. High and less than 4 miles to Mount Airy high. Probably 95% of the working families have to work in Mount Airy and some probably have brought their kids to city schools since they started rather than send the 18 to 20 miles up HWY-52 which is a curvy mountain that has banned tractor-trailers from use of this 3-mile portion of HWY-52 because of so many wrecks coming down that mountain that goes up and past the Blueridge Parkway. Where would you send your kids 4 miles on a safer HWY or up that mountain 18 miles to Carroll Co. High ? All know where to go to see the best High School Football game in our area and across the Virginia line.

Cana, Va : The median income for a household in the CDP was $27,625, and the median income for a family was $38,625. Males had a median income of $25,600 versus $21,538 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $14,859. About 6.6% of families and 12.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.5% of those under age 18 and 22.2% of those age 65 or over. Maybe enough non-seasonal jobs for 5% of Cana and with the orchards in and around Cana maybe 8 to 10% jobs are available to Cana residents. So Mount Airy get workers from Carroll & Pattrick Counties with Patrick Co. line maybe 4 miles out HWY-104 going Ararat, Va. maybe 8 miles from Mount Airy. and 10 to 15 miles from Patrick County High.

• Haha
Reactions: buzzcoach
Just curious and not so much sports related, is that easy to get kids enrolled at Mt airy if you live in Virginia? Do they take a lot of transfers?

Definitely makes sense to try it if you live on that line.

Last edited:
Just curious and not so much sports related, is that easy to get kids enrolled at Mt airy if you live in Virginia? Do they take a lot of transfers?

Definitely makes sense to try it you live on that line.
Not only that but they are paying Virginia taxes not NC taxes. I would think Crossing state lines would be a bigger issue than just crossing district or county lines. Granted it happens in Cleveland county also 😂

Not only that but they are paying Virginia taxes not NC taxes. I would think Crossing state lines would be a bigger issue than just crossing district or county lines. Granted it happens in Cleveland county also 😂
If any kid comes in from outside the city and they start in elementary school or any school they pay an annual fee to come to a city school is the way it was the last I heard. This is what I found for out of the City kids:
  • Tuition Rates:
    • In County - $100, 2 or more $150
    • Out of County - $500, 2 or more $750
    • Out of State - Contact our district office at 336-XXX-XXXX

Reactions: flyrod5518
Damn coaches jumping around all over the place east Gaston coach leaving to go to smokey mountain

Damn coaches jumping around all over the place east Gaston coach leaving to go to smokey mountain
SM is a better fit for Postell. WCU grad, coached forever at Tuscola, his father coached in the Smoky Mountain conference. SM is a decent gig.

SM is a better fit for Postell. WCU grad, coached forever at Tuscola, his father coached in the Smoky Mountain conference. SM is a decent gig.
Yeah I posted somewhere else at least now he doesn't have to deal with Shelby and burns every year

Confused??
What's the NC rule for players out of state. At one time I thought a high school player outside the state of NC was ineligible to participate in NC in any sports. They could enroll but not play sports. I might be wrong??

Confused??
What's the NC rule for players out of state. At one time I thought a high school player outside the state of NC was ineligible to participate in NC in any sports. They could enroll but not play sports. I might be wrong??
It's been happening since at least the 70s so it must be ok

Most time the kids start school in the MACS system and that is legal by NCHSAA. They are not changing schools to play sports if they started out there in eLEMENTARY SCHOOL.

Reactions: beamer24
Most time the kids start school in the MACS system and that is legal by NCHSAA. They are not changing schools to play sports if they started out there in eLEMENTARY SCHOOL.
My comment had nothing to do with sports mine was more based on tax payers of NC

Reactions: ocdavis31
Man no wonder MA is doing good with out of state kids coming in. Especially since we have been shown how close MA is to the Virginia/NC state line

Reactions: Dadof23
Man no wonder MA is doing good with out of state kids coming in. Especially since we have been shown how close MA is to the Virginia/NC state line
Well they had 0 on the team this year and 1 last year that got hurt and didn't play again. MA has kids that transfer out as well especially to ES and NS. You can move 10 mile in most directions and be in different school district. It is what it is and im sure a lot of schools have kids that move in and out every year.

Well they had 0 on the team this year and 1 last year that got hurt and didn't play again. MA has kids that transfer out as well especially to ES and NS. You can move 10 mile in most directions and be in different school district. It is what it is and im sure a lot of schools have kids that move in and out every year.

tenor.gif

Does ES and NS allow kids from another state to participate as well, or is this a Mt Airy rule?

My step son and step daughter lived in Cana VA and Graduated from NS so yes! Was a lot closer to go to MA or NS than Carrol County VA up the mountain.

Hell Shelby and crest have players that transfer back and forth in between semesters 🤣🤣 one at Shelby last year then goes to crest before football season and after season now back at Shelby 🤣🤣

I don't know anything about no transfers..
Now you sound like those Mt Airy guys, one minute they get no transfers from anywhere, to Buzz admitting they come from Virginia. 😀🍯( best pic for stirring the pot)( Because I don’t know how to post all those other things everyone else post)

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
We need to start a petition for a name change. The Mount Airy Cavaliers
The trouble is, those out-of-state families can't afford or won't pay the out-of-state Tuition Rates if you want to know the real truth. They may live at the door of Mount Airy City School Systems, but most have several kids and work seasonally in the orchards. Mount Airy doesn't even average 1 every few years and they don't always play sports. If the tuition is this high to play at Mount Airy I can't Imagine how high it is out of state.
.....There is or used to and may still be a loophole but I will let someone else go there.

Tuition Rates:
  • Out of State - Contact our district office

Last edited:
The trouble is, those out-of-state families can't afford or won't pay the out-of-state Tuition Rates if you want to know the real truth. They may live at the door of Mount Airy City School Systems, but most have several kids and work seasonally in the orchards. Mount Airy doesn't even average 1 every few years and they don't always play sports. If the tuition is this high to play at Mount Airy I can't Imagine how high it is out of state.

Tuition Rates:
Maybe you prefer Wahoos then

.....There is or used to and may still be a loophole but I will let someone else go there.

Tuition Rates:
Take nothing I say as fact, but hearsay except the tuition that I looked up. It has been quite a few years since I kept up with what parts the players accused of being from out of district and most were not and all talk. I would say around 2012 to 2014. I think that was the last time that I posted all the scores during the Friday night games of the NWC and the 2 other conferences in and around Surry County.

Last edited:
The out of state tuition, as high as it may be, doesn’t come close to covering the per pupil expenditure the state and county provide. The issue for me wouldn’t be about athletics, but about North Carolina taxpayers footing the bill for Virginia residents.

Better hope the local charter academy don't swoop in and grab up those Marberrians during the coaching transition.

Better hope the local charter academy don't swoop in and grab up those Marberrians during the coaching transition.
No high school football there yet, but maybe in 5 to 6 years or more. They do have a soccer field now, kind of rough-looking. It is a very large school now as I saw a week ago for the first time in maybe 10 years and it was amazing how it had grown. It may be larger than Mount Airy High but it is K-12 and growing. I think I counted 8 buses that I could see without circling the building. They have a lot of sports and I can see football in the future. It shows they do have football but may be in the lower grades for now.

If it happens who cares we take this football stuff too dang serious. IK I for one have acted like an idiot child on here many times. Life is more than football and a pissing contest on a message board. If MA never won another game who cares.....its just a game the world would carry on.

Lincoln county will have that concern very soon. Lincoln charter school is one of largest charter schools in the state and starting a football program they ran a middle school program this year. And it's being put together by and coaches by Mike byus former two-time state champion East Lincoln coach

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT