ADVERTISEMENT

Forsyth county

B&G The weight room was cranking on all cylinders this morning at the Creek. Lots of film on LKN.

I can identify with this thread. When I lived in Western Maryland, my daughters went to North Hagerstown high school. For two years they had a pretty good team, going 10-0 one season and 9-1 the next. They were 2A at the time. Their schedule consisted of a counplea of 2A teams but mostly 1A. Especially the year we went 10-0, we thought we could contend for state. Then we met South Caroll from Caroll county from just outside of Baltimore and the hung 42 points on us in a loss. The next year we went 9-1 and thought we could contend. Then we met Middletown from Frederick county a little closer to D.C. . They do the same thing hanging 42 points on us in a loss.

The point is, from my experience in Maryland, I honestly believe Forsyth and triad fans honestly think year in and out they have a team that can contend. But when they meet a team from Meck county, it's usually the result we had with North Hagerstown. They are comparing themselves against themselves. You can't do that when thinking of states. I would highly recommend scheduling some Meck county teams ooc. Then they'll have a better measurement of where they are as opposed to where they want to be.

I believe Reagan wants to be on the state map. I'd advise the same thing for them.

This post was edited on 11/29 2:37 PM by mrhonda

Honestly Forsyth County does need Middle school football. As an example Southwest Guildford In High Point didn't have a real middle school football program till a few years ago. "One of the last in guilford county to get one" now those kids are in high school. Their record dosnt show it but in a few years Southwest Guilford will have a winning football program. Those kids are freshman and sophomores now but as the grow they will get better. With the talent already across Forsyth county. Middle school football is three extra years. I'm not gonna say it's gonna make them better or as good as Charlotte schools but I think it would make things a lot better. Then the high school coaches don't have to waste time teaching all the basics to underclass man.

Originally posted by utbb01:
Thanks Hokie for genuine good advice and best believe I will take your thought to our coach and athletic director.
Hey, one more thought has come to mind...this road map only works when you are using these games to evaluate your schemes and your personnel and when using them as a teaching tool to help your kids see what kind of effort, focus, confidence and work it takes to win them.

Too may times, I see a team play in one of these games and bang their heads against the wall, but then go on the next week doing the exact same things that didn't work the week before. If a coach is just going to run what he knows, for better or for worse, then these games don't do the program any good. They are just probable losses on the schedule.

A coach needs to be flexible, forward thinking and adaptable for these games to be of any use to the program. A great coach, however, writes his entire recipe for success based solely on these games. It doesn't matter what you did to beat some hopeless 1A team by 60. It's totally irrelevant when it comes to winning a 2A title. However, if you can find a way to beat Shelby by 10, then you're entire program is suddenly in business.

Mallard Creek likes to play the Butlers of the world to show them what's working and what is not - to prepare for November - and then they have the rest of the regular season to tweak on things so that they are hell on wheels in the playoffs. Sure, they could schedule and beat some little 3A team by 60, but what's the point? Too many Forsyth Co programs schedule for success. Their 4A teams schedule a bunch of 3A teams out of conference, beat them up pretty good, rack up gaudy records, get high playoff seeds...but then what happens? Those programs are not doing themselves any favors with their schedules, and they are not taking the necessary steps to improve themselves. When you consistently schedule down and don't push yourselves to improve, then you become a stagnant program, and right now, Forsyth Co has a bunch of stagnant programs.

Put your team in a hostile enviorment the beginning of the season. Take your team out of their element including your coaching staff. Stop scheduling teams you know you can beat. Play a Havelock, New Bern, Scotland, Richmond, Charlotte Catholic, Charlotte Christian, Butler, Scotland, Crest, Indy, Mallard Creek, Durham Hillside. Teams that field very competitive teams every year. No success scheduling those teams? Go to South Carolina. Northwestern, South Pointe, York, Dillon, Gaffney, Dorman, Dutch Fork, Spartanburg. See against those programs your teams are not going to look like a allstar team. The players find out how high the bar is, and the coaching staff have to scheme better. If you take a L ? So What! What happens when you get in the playoffs and nothing works? It's like elementry kids not doing their fire drills. The alarm goes off. What's that noise?The teacher runs around franticly, kids yelling, running out the wrong door, some just sit and stare, Total Chaos! That's what Forsyth schools look like come playoff time.

This post was edited on 11/29 4:32 PM by nepsy7

One of the problems WS/FC schools have is scheduling flexibility. The central office makes them play other schools in the county and tells them who they will play. I have heard rumor that Walkertown wants West Forsyth gate money so they are on WF schedule next year. (Forced by central office)Forsyth county schools must split gate in all county games. So this will be a two year contract. I am sure Walkertown will be playing another CPC or other good gate school for their second game in county. Walkertown and Atkins begged out of it a couple of years ago, but the dollars from attendance that EF, Reagan and WF is too great for them to pass.

This post was edited on 11/29 5:09 PM by Sportsnut17

This is where the school coaches, ADs and fans can turn the heat up on the county offices. The W-S Journal could pitch in as well if they were as dedicated to the cause as the schools were. What you're going to hear is that the county admin doesn't care about sports (only about academics), but where there's a will, there's a way. The Meck Co admin sings the same tune from time to time.

What Forsyth Co really needs right now is someone to light a competitive fire under the entire county...someone like Tom Knotts. Beat people bad enough for long enough - and rub their noses in it the entire time you're doing it - and people will eventually get fed up about it and decide to do something to improve their programs.

Walkertown and Atkins are awful. No offense to any of their fans but talk about a Forsyth county team that plays easy teams. I mean I understand they are 1A and everything. But before Walkertown puts a 4a team on there schudule. I mean West Forsyth Vs Walketown that's a blow out. I mean I understand this is their shot to get local recognition. But they would be lucky to beat RJ Reynolds. I understand they dominate the teams they play now but Walkertown isn't good enough, fast enough or big enough to compete with west.

Also Atkins, I mean parkland could probably win by 21.

It's just because I mean they separate schools for a reason. I've seen Atkins and Walkertown film they appear good but they are playing 1a schools. My honest prediction of a west forsyth/Walkertown match.up
WF:60-75 Walkertown: 0-17

Atkins is awful but Walkertown isn't as bad!! But neither school should exists and those kids should be back at Carver!!! It's killed our depth!!!

This is a major problem around the county... Even amongst the WF, EF, Mt. Tabor, etc. The county will not let us out of scheduling county schools. Ready for this one? Porter Ridge and Butler rotate off Mt. Tabor's schedule to be replaced by East Forsyth and get this... Winston Salem Prep. When they tried to get out of it, were told no by county higher ups.

I know you guys give the schools in Forsyth a hard time because they struggle with Charlotte schools etc... But every 4A school in Forsyth is fighting an uphill battle with no MS football, zone/transfer policy, WSFCS scheduling policies etc.

Originally posted by cvaughan598:
This is a major problem around the county... Even amongst the WF, EF, Mt. Tabor, etc. The county will not let us out of scheduling county schools. Ready for this one? Porter Ridge and Butler rotate off Mt. Tabor's schedule to be replaced by East Forsyth and get this... Winston Salem Prep. When they tried to get out of it, were told no by county higher ups.

I know you guys give the schools in Forsyth a hard time because they struggle with Charlotte schools etc... But every 4A school in Forsyth is fighting an uphill battle with no MS football, zone/transfer policy, WSFCS scheduling policies etc.
We don't give them a hard time. Some of the delusional fan base invites us too. I understand the dilemma 100% and never say a peep until I see the post about how Reagan will do this or West Forsyth will do that. This year Reagan was the flavor of the fall, last year it was WF, year before EF. Rarely is it competitive ( 2012 EF exception).

There are good football teams in the Triad. I travel up there for work and usually catch the best two or three teams every year. I knew in 2011 Page was gonna be a problem. I though WF defense was outstanding and would give a below average Butler team problems last year. I was wrong there. Wake county has the same issue. They play the round robin tourney every year and think they are a powerhouse.... then not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT