ADVERTISEMENT

?? for Mr MICS Richie B

bareman

Jun 23, 2001
saw where MIC beat some charter out of Charlotte that cateres to 16-21 yr olds....said that the game was stopped after 1st play of 4th Q due to numerous ejections...what happened??

That's not a good look for Commonwealth at all..

They got their first win 2 games back due to a forefit but they followed it up with that. Makes me wonder if they can make it after that. What league do they play in?

saw where MIC beat some charter out of Charlotte that cateres to 16-21 yr olds....said that the game was stopped after 1st play of 4th Q due to numerous ejections...what happened??
Well about that... It was 56-0 and we were about to score again. RB got tackled on the goal line. The other team started slamming MICS players to the ground. Commonwealth whole bench cleared, MICS sideline stayed put. You could see MICS players getting kicked and stomped. Really crazy turn of events.

No place for this in Sports especially High School sports. Kids make mistakes but they need to be consequences for their actions

No place for this in Sports especially High School sports. Kids make mistakes but they need to be consequences for their actions
True.. We were running the ball and still would've scored 80 points easy. Commonwealth didnt help themself throwing getting it picked off everytime either. Every week this years MICS teams becomes more dangerous. From there hard hitting defense to high powered offense. Will be a problem come playoff time.

Folks we not running the score up. We're running the ball and still putting up numbers. Last year people complain we passed late this year we running. Same results speed is speed, and people know speed kills. #track meet

Folks we not running the score up. We're running the ball and still putting up numbers. Last year people complain we passed late this year we running. Same results speed is speed, and people know speed kills. #track meet
It's going to be interesting for sure. If you meet Murphy it will be MICS speed against Murphy's well balanced attack with the tradition of winning. Should be another great game. I'm looking forward to it if it happens

Well there's only so much a team can do when they have talent and the other's struggling to play week in and out. That program's just starting but it doesn't look very good for them. They couldn't even play with Highland Tech..

Running clock helps a lot now but still there's times where it doesn't. Last year we played a JV game against a team so bad we put a kid who's never run the ball in his life in and he got 5 yards a carry. It's the pits sometimes.

MICS vs. Mitchell and Mount Airy would be good games too; especially if the latter is small 1A this year.

MICS vs. Mitchell and Mount Airy would be good games too; especially if the latter is small 1A this year.
I'm not familiar with Mt. Airy... But ol Rich is saying it now and quote me. Mitchell gets ran off the field against MICS. At least by 50, and wouldn't be surprised if they start fighting. Like they did at Murphy last year.

Mount Airy will be tough if they go small 1A. Might be one of the only matchups where MICS won't have the best athlete on the field. They've got a 6-3 receiver who is a big time player, offers from Wake and Duke so far.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Yes. Greene is the real deal and every bit as good as advertised. Number 22 is also a pretty good WR so doubling Greene opens up the passing lanes for him. They have 2 good backs and a QB who can run or throw well. Their defense is solid. MA will be a tough out for anyone they play. Great team.

The Greene kid's the best athlete they've had in years since they had Michael Dobson when I played JV ball; he's arguably better than he was. QB's the coach's son but he's improved dramatically.

MICS vs. MA's the one playoff matchup I'd willingly pay money to watch and freeze during.

I don't think MICS has anything for MA, this season.

Murphy vs MA or EW vs MA are two games I'd be very interested in seeing. I hope both MA and Murphy end up in 1AA.

MA, East Wilkes, Murphy, North Rowan and possibly Mitchell among others is going to be make for some interesting matchups potentially.

The Greene kid's the best athlete they've had in years since they had Michael Dobson when I played JV ball; he's arguably better than he was. QB's the coach's son but he's improved dramatically.

MICS vs. MA's the one playoff matchup I'd willingly pay money to watch and freeze during.
Who remembers James Brim, a member of Mount Airy’s Class of 1983 and went on to play for Wake Forrest. How does Greene compare to James.

http://mtairynews.com/archive/16903...article-wr_james_brim_tapped_for_hall_of_fame

Reactions: Slasher Killer
It's hard to say. Greene is a great athlete. However, he is playing at a level where he rarley matches up with a team that has an athlete like him. I don't think you can compare Greene to Brim until Greene plays in college. Interesting that he plays the same position and may end up at the same college. Wish UNC would hop on board and offer Greene.

It's hard to say. Greene is a great athlete. However, he is playing at a level where he rarley matches up with a team that has an athlete like him. I don't think you can compare Greene to Brim until Greene plays in college. Interesting that he plays the same position and may end up at the same college. Wish UNC would hop on board and offer Greene.
I am hopping UNC also. Greene is just a Jr. and I have heard rumors he has offers from Wake Forrest,Duke and East Carolina.

I hope he goes to Duke; I'd be happy with Wake though or even App. Duke and App need a speedster to help their WR or DB core.

Hard to compare him to Brim; I've only seen limited film of him. Given what he did it's going to be hard to top him though; granted the college game's changed so much since the early to mid 80's. Greene needs to go somewhere where he will fit and not be another recruit.

It's amazing for a county like Surry to have had so many college players at a big to moderate level who played. MA's had at least 5; we have had at least 4, East had Lynch and Boaz, and Elkin had Hayes who won a Super Bowl as the punter on the 1982 Redskins team. Pretty solid for a rural county.

Last edited:
I hope he goes to Duke; I'd be happy with Wake though or even App. Duke and App need a speedster to help their WR or DB core.

Hard to compare him to Brim; I've only seen limited film of him. Given what he did it's going to be hard to top him though; granted the college game's changed so much since the early to mid 80's. Greene needs to go somewhere where he will fit and not be another recruit.

It's amazing for a county like Surry to have had so many college players at a big to moderate level who played. MA's had at least 5; we have had at least 4, East had Lynch and Boaz, and Elkin had Hayes who won a Super Bowl as the punter on the 1982 Redskins team. Pretty solid for a rural county.
Mount Airy has had around 9 to 12 that played College Football that played at Duke 2 or 3 from the Cox generation & Steve Poole , Wake James Brim , Ryan Greenwood Radford< Michael Dobson East Carolina. Bill Maybury UNC I think .
DaddyDoug I need your help to clear this up. I am only going on memory and what I find in the paper.

http://mtairynews.com/archive/16672...cle-cox_legacy_continues_as_buster_joins_hall

Last edited:
Mount Airy has had too many to mention that has played college football and several in the pros. The first player from Mount Airy that played college ball that I know was Howard Hatcher in 1922. He played for Trinity College in Durham and was very good. His dad was a local policeman. In 1924 former MA player John Frank was a star for Trinity. Walter Robinson played for Guilford College in 1927 and came back to coach the Bears in 1934. There was a Stewart who played for Furman in 1929 as Quarterback and kicker.

Perhaps the greatest player to ever wear a Bear uniform was Red Mayberry. He played for Wake Forest.
Billy Cox may be #2 he was an All-American at Duke and played for the Redskins. He had a teammate, Freddie Fogler of MA on his Duke team.

You see, it goes way back and I just mentioned a few that were prominent. Now, I will get several tell me, you didn't mention ...... so and so.

I know most people talk about the time they can remember, but there is a big history of MA football way beyond anyone's normal memory. Over 100 years of history.

One of these days, I may publish a list of former Mt. Airy players to play in college and in the pros, but I am sure it would be an incomplete list and shun somebody unintentional.

By the way, the late Todd Greenwood and the QB for Brim was the first freshman to ever start at quarterback for Virginia Tech. The 2nd one was Michael Vick.

I think the Greenwood/Brim era were some of the best teams not to win a State Championship. In back to back years, Lexington had a Joe McIntosh that knocked us out and Brevard wouldn't let Brim breathe.

That is enough from me.

By the way, the late Todd Greenwood and the QB for Brim was the first freshman to ever start at quarterback for Virginia Tech. The 2nd one was Michael Vick.

I think the Greenwood/Brim era were some of the best teams not to win a State Championship. In back to back years, Lexington had a Joe McIntosh that knocked us out and Brevard wouldn't let Brim breathe.

That is enough from me.
I knew Todd Greenwood at the time and just could not think of his first name . Seems I knew a Ryan Greenwood and got them mixed up. Also knew there was at least around 10 or more. You are the best when it comes to the history of Mount airy football. seems there was a Bill Maybury that went to ,I am thinking UNC .I remember Joe McIntosh of Lexington very well. He would get the ball and be swarmed by thr Bears and you would think he was down but all of a sudden he would shoot out of the pile like a bullet down the field for a touch down. Back in the early 1970s we played Wayneville and they had a player they called Pig Bryant that was just like Joe McIntosh of Lexington , they both were as slippery as a pig. LOL

Mount Airy has had too many to mention that has played college football and several in the pros. The first player from Mount Airy that played college ball that I know was Howard Hatcher in 1922. He played for Trinity College in Durham and was very good. His dad was a local policeman. In 1924 former MA player John Frank was a star for Trinity. Walter Robinson played for Guilford College in 1927 and came back to coach the Bears in 1934. There was a Stewart who played for Furman in 1929 as Quarterback and kicker.

Perhaps the greatest player to ever wear a Bear uniform was Red Mayberry. He played for Wake Forest.
Billy Cox may be #2 he was an All-American at Duke and played for the Redskins. He had a teammate, Freddie Fogler of MA on his Duke team.

You see, it goes way back and I just mentioned a few that were prominent. Now, I will get several tell me, you didn't mention ...... so and so.

I know most people talk about the time they can remember, but there is a big history of MA football way beyond anyone's normal memory. Over 100 years of history.

One of these days, I may publish a list of former Mt. Airy players to play in college and in the pros, but I am sure it would be an incomplete list and shun somebody unintentional.
I would love to see that list but I know looking up all that would be time consuming . Thanks for your help DaddyDoug. I knew they're were at least 10 but did not know it went depper than that.

Can't go wrong between Wake and Duke. Hopefully he chooses Duke he will fit nicely in that offense. Brim was taller and great athlete and time will tell on that comparison. I think Mt Airy offense will be tough to defend with a big threat to run at the quarterback spot and athletes all around

Can't go wrong between Wake and Duke. Hopefully he chooses Duke he will fit nicely in that offense. Brim was taller and great athlete and time will tell on that comparison. I think Mt Airy offense will be tough to defend with a big threat to run at the quarterback spot and athletes all around
Brim was 6'3" 187lb Senior @ Wake & Greene is listed as 6'2" 183lb and a Jr. so Green may grow some by 2018 football season.I just went back and read Newspaper and was wrong on weight.
http://mtairynews.com/archive/16903...article-wr_james_brim_tapped_for_hall_of_fame

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT