ADVERTISEMENT

FbRef

Wizard of the East

Jun 13, 2001
Question, in college they have changed the rule allowing to aide the runner ( in most instances pushing them from behind.) I’ve seen it several times in college games and announcers give notice of rule change. Was it changed in high school too? If not why not uniformity ?

Question, in college they have changed the rule allowing to side the runner ( in most instances pushing them from behind.) I’ve seen it several times in college games and announcers give notice of rule change. Was it changed in high school too? If not why not uniformity ?
I don't know, but weird call to me last nite

Got me thinking back to the game vs Cape Fear last year when the oline practically carried the RB the last 12-10 yards into the endzone....now if thats not aiding the runner idk what is.....honestly never saw that called in one of our games before

Got me thinking back to the game vs Cape Fear last year when the oline practically carried the RB the last 12-10 yards into the endzone....now if thats not aiding the runner idk what is.....honestly never saw that called in one of our games before

Isn't the O-lines job to aid the runner ? If he is following his blockers, no matter how close. SWO, as the announcers say, they are "Moving The Pile".

Reactions: dogs79
Isn't the O-lines job to aid the runner ? If he is following his blockers, no matter how close. SWO, as the announcers say, they are "Moving The Pile".

Well they threw the flag on us last night lol....the Bush Push

Central Davidson of the CCC does this on 90% of their plays and it's very rarely called and it's frustrating as a defense

Not to mention the illegal shift they do where one wing goes in motion and the other starts going before the snap to block or counter. I love the Doublewing but that isn't part of it when I teach it.

When it comes to the wedge I have the linemen all block the center and the fullback following inside a pike. No pulling or pushing the ball carrier.

Not to mention the illegal shift they do where one wing goes in motion and the other starts going before the snap to block or counter. I love the Doublewing but that isn't part of it when I teach it.

When it comes to the wedge I have the linemen all block the center and the fullback following inside a pike. No pulling or pushing the ball carrier.
Thanks for mentioning that illegal shift. What make me curious is that Central did both of those under the coach 7 or 8 years ago too.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
I do wish Central the best, if they have a good season and get to the playoffs. Not this year but in the future.

Last edited:
My question is how often is aiding the runner really called? In all my years following HS Football, this is only the second time I've seen it actually called - plenty of other opportunities, of course, but just twice. I mean, IMO, what is really happening when teams are bunched up trying to find momentum to stop or assist a ball carrier? Someone's aiding somebody....

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
For all the smart guys on here. The rule is you may push the pile, but you can not push the runner. You can not pull the runner either. This is the correct rule for you guys that don’t know.

What illegal shift? One goes in motion. If it was an illegal shift it would be called. Everyone thinks they understand the double wing and in reality you know nothing about how it works.

I love the name of the penalty , ‘aiding the runner.’

I’m sorry, there is 10 guys on that field ‘aiding’ the runner on every play.
When the player extends his arms and pushes, or the runner grabs his offensive player for a “tow” is when it’s usually called. But it’s like a basketball player “palming” the ball. If you do it on every dribble, it’s never called. Same with Central’s illegal shift and aiding the runner. It’s virtually every play.

What illegal shift? One goes in motion. If it was an illegal shift it would be called. Everyone thinks they understand the double wing and in reality you know nothing about how it works.
If you read BKN’s post, you’ll see what he means. Two players are in motion as one of the set backs leaves a half count before the snap. That’s what makes it illegal. Called twice against Thomasville but happened on most plays.

Ok... Only been studying it, using it and variances of its blocking schemes for over a decade since I started coaching. And which version do you mean? Markham, Wyatt, Calande, Murphy? There is far more than one way to run a doublewing, just like any other offense.

But you're right. I don't know anything about the doublewing, or single wing, or Rockne Box, or Split T, or Veer. I don't study contrarian schemes at all lol.

As to the illegal shift, both wings are moving before the snap on some plays. And sometimes Central has been called for it this year, most of the time not. Like @ocdavis31 said, it's like palming the basketball. Rarely gets called.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrepFanNC
If I was you blacknight I would worry about your coaching staff. I was at the central north game and saw some of the worst individuals coaching I have ever seen. I was sitting close and could hear the head coach from north screaming obscenities across the field at the central side. One of the players told me that after a north td, he was called a m fer by the coach with a beard and hat on backwards. And after the game the same coach was laughing and talking crap to the coaches and players as he walked the line. He was called on it by a central coach and according to my sources came real close to getting hurt. The only thing that saved him was other coaches holding the first one back. Don’t know if this is true, but just repeating what I was told. But if this is correct the coaching staff needs to be looked at very close.

Friday night at Wallace is the first time I have seen the call made. I've seen many goal line plays just like that with no call.

This has been discussed all year and actually the past two years before. He got in trouble for going after the Thomasville principle. I was at the OG and Ledford game but this would not surprise me. I'm not worried about it as much as I'm just sick of it if true. The are grown men who make their own decisions and if it results in something happening then they made their own bed and can lie in it.

You’re right. There are eyes on that guy, and plenty of them. This isn’t the first school that he’s done this at. It might be a really good business plan to buy him for what he’s worth... and then sell him for what he an his family think he’s worth.

You’re right. There are eyes on that guy, and plenty of them. This isn’t the first school that he’s done this at. It might be a really good business plan to buy him for what he’s worth... and then sell him for what he an his family think he’s worth.
I don’t even have a clue who you’re talking about....but that’s a good one!

It use to be rule in college but they recently changed it in last year or so
It usually takes a little while to trickle down. When I was in high school linemen couldn’t extend their arms or use their hands to block, forearms and flippers were the rule. Just a year or so after I graduated they changed the rule to match college rules.

Move on gentlemen from negative coach talk, it is getting a little to close and the last thing I want to see is suddenly someone pops a name out. And I will make this statement, I truly do not believe anyone of you posting would do that, you guys are great. Just worry about the new guy that signs up just for that reason.

Thanks in advance.

Move on gentlemen from negative coach talk, it is getting a little to close and the last thing I want to see is suddenly someone pops a name out. And I will make this statement, I truly do not believe anyone of you posting would do that, you guys are great. Just worry about the new guy that signs up just for that reason.

Thanks in advance.

Heard. This is the last time I'm speaking on the subject. Whatever happens happens.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Rule 9-1

Helping the runner

An offensive player shall not push, pull or lift the runner to assist his forward progress.

ART. 2 ... The runner may not grasp a teammate.

PENALTY: Helping the runner (S44) – 5 yards.
I know about the Art. 2 part, that a runner may not grasp a teammate....South Granville was flagged for that two years ago when QB was running with the ball and a blocker out in front.....defender was approaching and QB almost came to a complete stop behind his blocker, then put his hand on blocker's back; might have/probably actually grasped his jersey for a second, then with that motion kind of propelled himself downfield....at first our sideline was up in arms because the official referred to the penalty as "assisting a blocker", which as far as I know, is not a rule, but the action in question did violate this rule about not grasping a teammate....the signal from the white hat was the same as you see for illegal use of hands/illegal block in the back and walked off 10 yards from spot of foul

Proper signal is both palms open and facing forward, then move arms from waist forward.

Tried to put a pic of it, but it would not copy. 5 yards, either your ref had something else on the call or kicked it.

Proper signal is both palms open and facing forward, then move arms from waist forward.

Tried to put a pic of it, but it would not copy. 5 yards, either your ref had something else on the call or kicked it.
Yes, i know the signal for assisting the runner, and thought (but wasn't sure) that it was 5 yards....so it should be the same penalty for grasping a runner as assisting a runner?

That is the signal the Ref used Friday night at Wallace. I had never seen it before.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT