ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Conference

BlueDevil1996

May 20, 2020
If you could go back in time or maybe "PICK" team that you love to face in conference - which/who would that be

For ex: For Mooresville - I would love to go back to the old 10 team NPC conference which included Statesville, West Iredell , North Iredell, West Rowan, South Rowan, Northwest Cabarrus, Carson, East Rowan, Lake Norman and Mooresville.

If I could pick the team I would wanna face in conference: Davie, Hough, Hopewell, North Meck, South Iredell, Mooresville or West Forsyth, Davie, Reagan, Mooresville and LN in a conference

Reactions: Lincolnton
Back in my day, the old Southwestern 3A Conferences was
Burns, Crest, Shelby, Kings Mtn, South Point, East Gaston, North Gaston ,Chase, East Rutherford and RS Central

Reactions: egfan and dogs79
WHC 1a/2a 2005-2016

Avery
Hendersonville
Madison
Mitchell
Mountain Heritage
Owen
Polk

or WHC 2001-2004

Avery
Brevard
Madison
Mitchell
Mountain Heritage
North Henderson
Owen
Pisgah
West Henderson

I dont know about the best, but I can attest this abomination of a conference we are in right now, may be the worst for football in the entire state...
Y’all be 3A in my opinion I’m sure y’all are ok with East Gaston but ofc y’all fit Better with Crest and KM and all

They need make conferences more balance tbh if I had my way - I would have Hunter Huss , Bessemer City , Cherryville, Highland Tech, Forestview and Ashbrook all in a conference it would be a even level conference n competitive

Y’all be 3A in my opinion I’m sure y’all are ok with East Gaston but ofc y’all fit Better with Crest and KM and all

They need make conferences more balance tbh if I had my way - I would have Hunter Huss , Bessemer City , Cherryville, Highland Tech, Forestview and Ashbrook all in a conference it would be a even level conference n competitive
Also I would make West Char - West Meck - South point , SC ; King mtn or something like that as well

I dont know about the best, but I can attest this abomination of a conference we are in right now, may be the worst for football in the entire state...
Can’t help but chuckle……I’m wondering if there is another conference that can claim that ALL their teams made the playoffs the last 2 years.

Y’all’s did!

I made a thread on the 1a board for realignment for most of the conferences in the western part of the state I had Shelby in a conference entirely made up of teams with 2a numbers

SWC

Burns
Chase
Draughn
East Rutherford
Patton
R-S Central
Shelby

Last edited:
Back in my day, the old Southwestern 3A Conferences was
Burns, Crest, Shelby, Kings Mtn, South Point, East Gaston, North Gaston ,Chase, East Rutherford and RS Central
I can go back to the 1950’s when it was Belmont, Chase, Cherryville, East Rutherford, kings Mountain, Lincolnton, Rutherfordton-Spindale Central and Shelby.

Burns and Crest came in the late 60’s, think it was 1968. I believe Belmont became South Point in 1971 or maybe 70.
Can’t remember, but Lincolnton was moved out in 1972 or 1973 and put in a conference with some of the Catawba County schools and some of the teams that had been in the SD 7; Around 1977 (not sure) Lincolnton was put in a conference with Iredell County schools along with Newton-Conover.

Coach Harris (long time coach, here) loved the SWC and never wanted to leave. He tried to get back in it but was unsuccessful.

•Side note: Chase might have come in the early 1960’s. Pretty sure I can remember them back to 1964. Saw where one of the Mitchell County posters listed Harris in their conference, which is the Chase area along with othe communities in Rutherford County.

Last edited:
Just for fun, i have listed the East Central Conference members since 1985. The conference has been around for approximately 70 years or so in one variation or another. Past members not listed here at one time or another include Mt. Olive (Southern Wayne), North Duplin, Hobbton, Union, Roseboro-Salemburg (Lakewood) and Jones Senior. Cool fact is that the East Central is the only conference East Duplin (and before consolidation in 1962, Beulaville, BF Grady and Chinquapin) has been a member.

In my opinion, the ECC is the best when the three Duplin County schools (JK, ED, WRH) are all members.

ECC 85-88
Clinton, East Duplin, James Kenan, Pender, White Oak, Wallace-Rose Hill

ECC 89-96
CB Aycock, Clinton, East Duplin, James Kenan, South Lenoir, Wallace Rose-Hill

ECC 97-2000
Clinton, East Carteret, East Duplin, Richlands, Southwest Onslow, Swansboro, Wallace-Rose Hill

ECC 2001-2004
Croatan, East Carteret, East Duplin, Northside Jax, Richlands, Swansboro, Southwest Onslow

ECC 2005-2008
Clinton, Croatan, East Duplin, Northside Jax, Richlands, South Lenoir, Southwest Onslow, Swansboro

ECC 2009-2012
Clinton, Croatan, East Duplin, Northside Jax, Richlands, South Lenoir, Swansboro, Topsail

ECC 2013-2016
Croatan, Dixon, East Duplin, North Brunswick, Northside Jax, Southwest Onslow

ECC 2017-2020
Clinton, East Duplin, Goldsboro, James Kenan, Midway, Spring Creek, Wallace-Rose Hill

ECC 2021-present
East Duplin, James Kenan, Kinston, North Lenoir, South Lenoir, Southwest Onslow, Wallace-Rose Hill

Reactions: dogs79
I can go back to the 1950’s when it was Belmont, Chase, Cherryville, East Rutherford, kings Mountain, Lincolnton, Rutherfordton-Spindale Central and Shelby.

Burns and Crest came in the late 60’s, think it was 1968. I believe Belmont became South Point in 1971 or maybe 70.
Can’t remember, but Lincolnton was moved out in 1972 or 1973 and put in a conference with some of the Catawba County schools and some of the teams that had been in the SD 7; Around 1977 (not sure) Lincolnton was put in a conference with Iredell County schools along with Newton-Conover.

Coach Harris (long time coach, here) loved the SWC and never wanted to leave. He tried to get back in it but was unsuccessful.

•Side note: Chase might have come in the early 1960’s. Pretty sure I can remember them back to 1964. Saw where one of the Mitchell County posters listed Harris in their conference, which is the Chase area along with othe communities in Rutherford County.
The Harris mentioned was Harris High School in Spruce Pine, Bowman was the other Mitchell County School located in Bakersville. Mountain Heritage was made from Cane River and East Yancey High Schools.

I would love to renew the Devils rivalry ....... Maiden vs Mooresville. I know that was a good game back in the day
Maiden vs Mooresville

Maiden leads series 6-3

1927 Maiden 31-6
1985 Maiden 21-19
1986 Mooresville 23-7
1987 Maiden 31-14
1988 Maiden 40-6
1989 Mooresville 42-7
1990 Maiden 14-10
1991 Mooresville 16-12
1992 Maiden 21-6

The Harris mentioned was Harris High School in Spruce Pine, Bowman was the other Mitchell County School located in Bakersville. Mountain Heritage was made from Cane River and East Yancey High Schools.
Thanks for the Info, W147. Saw Tryon listed and assumed it was Polk County, which is next door to Rutherford County. I'd wondered before what schools made up Mitchell and Heritage.

First time I saw Mitchell play, just guessing, was in the 1980's, at East Lincoln. MC ran East off the field. Second time was not to long after that, against East Lincoln, again. This time East won after Mitchell went for two points and the win and came up short. Listening to the post game on the Mitchell County radio station, the Mountaineers' coach said "We went for the win because ties are like kissing your sister". First time I ever heard that expression.

*By the way, You'd mentioned Cane River. That sounds very familiar. Had a relative that used to "stay" at a place called Cane Creek or Cane River. He was a real masterpiece. He should have been in the Louvre.

Maiden vs Mooresville

Maiden leads series 6-3

1927 Maiden 31-6
1985 Maiden 21-19
1986 Mooresville 23-7
1987 Maiden 31-14
1988 Maiden 40-6
1989 Mooresville 42-7
1990 Maiden 14-10
1991 Mooresville 16-12
1992 Maiden 21-6
Mooresville wasn’t that great in 70s/80s n 90s we were better later so I think if maiden would stay on schedule in late 90s n early 2000s it’s would prob be bit more in favor of Mooresville bc those some of our best teams so

I actually meet y’all QB I think he was either 89 or 90 QB Shannon or something another but He was telling me about the rivalry too - and It seemed like it was a good one back then

I know there is a Cane Creek in Mitchell Co and Cane River in Yancey Co. Beautiful up in those areas. My bucket list is to make it up and watch a game at Mitchell Co sometime.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Mooresville wasn’t that great in 70s/80s n 90s we were better later so I think if maiden would stay on schedule in late 90s n early 2000s it’s would prob be bit more in favor of Mooresville bc those some of our best teams so

I actually meet y’all QB I think he was either 89 or 90 QB Shannon or something another but He was telling me about the rivalry too - and It seemed like it was a good one back then
Hopefully there isn't another 58 year gap between games

Hopefully there isn't another 58 year gap between games
Well I doubt we will ever play maiden again esp basketball n football imo - Baseball, Softball, Soccer , Wrestling it’s a possibility but still not high as y’all are 2A and we now 4A.

Also Back those days Mooresville was 2A/3A n also the town was like a small football town now it’s a major metropolitan area unlike maiden bc maiden I would still consider a small football town

Well I doubt we will ever play maiden again esp basketball n football imo - Baseball, Softball, Soccer , Wrestling it’s a possibility but still not high as y’all are 2A and we now 4A.

Also Back those days Mooresville was 2A/3A n also the town was like a small football town now it’s a major metropolitan area unlike maiden bc maiden I would still consider a small football town
By definition and depending on which definition a person uses it appears Mooresville just sneaks in as "a major metropolitan area."

with all that growth its a metropolitan n if it isnt they will be we are turning into CLT - I am glad I dont live in Mooresville bc the traffic is horrendous
I know my wife gets tired of me telling her that I remember when in my estimation that Mooresville started at that Shell station on Hwy 150 near I-77. There was nothing really south of that except Terrell. That was when Mooresville was a 2A/3A school. As for the traffic, it is annoying and getting worse but still not bad compared to other cities.

I know my wife gets tired of me telling her that I remember when in my estimation that Mooresville started at that Shell station on Hwy 150 near I-77. There was nothing really south of that except Terrell. That was when Mooresville was a 2A/3A school. As for the traffic, it is annoying and getting worse but still not bad compared to other cities.
I guess it’s depends on how u look at it - I think most folks in Mooresville that complain about traffic is bc they been there since 80s/90s and every year we are adding more n more houses so that’s Equals to more cars n people

Also I agree it maybe not ALT bad or Triad metro bad but still getting up there

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Now Mooresville has really blown up. 2 schools, Mooresville and Lake Norman that are 4A. I wouldn’t be surprised in a couple more years we will be hearing about building another HS in the area. Out on southern part of Mooresville on Hwy 3 they’re presently building up more stores, grocery store, houses etc. where it was all farm land. It wouldn’t surprise me to see another HS built in near future.

Now Mooresville has really blown up. 2 schools, Mooresville and Lake Norman that are 4A. I wouldn’t be surprised in a couple more years we will be hearing about building another HS in the area. Out on southern part of Mooresville on Hwy 3 they’re presently building up more stores, grocery store, houses etc. where it was all farm land. It wouldn’t surprise me to see another HS built in near future.
It prolly won’t happen for at least 5-8 years down the line bc Mooresville Cap at the current HS is 2300 so that may take 1-2 yrs to get there (I think 1 yr ) then it’s prolly take 2-3 years to get everything completed and done and then it will happen so I would say 2028-2030 would be the area it could happen it if does happen

Also we have remembered we just spend a lot of money on the new middle school so we would have get more money somewhere n also idk if we even have land if we did want a new HS so there a lot of challenges n processes we would do to make it happen for a New HS for MGSD

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT