ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Conference

BlueDevil1996

May 20, 2020
If you could go back in time or maybe "PICK" team that you love to face in conference - which/who would that be

For ex: For Mooresville - I would love to go back to the old 10 team NPC conference which included Statesville, West Iredell , North Iredell, West Rowan, South Rowan, Northwest Cabarrus, Carson, East Rowan, Lake Norman and Mooresville.

If I could pick the team I would wanna face in conference: Davie, Hough, Hopewell, North Meck, South Iredell, Mooresville or West Forsyth, Davie, Reagan, Mooresville and LN in a conference

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Times have definitely changed. Back in the 70’s & 80’s Lineberger Stadium was packed for home games. There were aluminum bleachers in the far end zone and people standing by the fence. Home games against Shelby, Ashbrook and East Gaston always seemed to generate the largest crowds. I sure miss those days.

The old Big South Conference was great. Like today (I’ll probably make some folks mad) the strongest conference in 3A. I don’t know how many State titles have been won by The Big South, quite a few I know. If anybody’s done research on that I’d love to know. Most conference’s have one or two teams that always dominate. The Big South has had several teams over the years that have won state titles or at least gone deep in the playoffs.

GO BIG RED. !!!

Times have definitely changed. Back in the 70’s & 80’s Lineberger Stadium was packed for home games. There were aluminum bleachers in the far end zone and people standing by the fence. Home games against Shelby, Ashbrook and East Gaston always seemed to generate the largest crowds. I sure miss those days.

The old Big South Conference was great. Like today (I’ll probably make some folks mad) the strongest conference in 3A. I don’t know how many State titles have been won by The Big South, quite a few I know. If anybody’s done research on that I’d love to know. Most conference’s have one or two teams that always dominate. The Big South has had several teams over the years that have won state titles or at least gone deep in the playoffs.

GO BIG RED. !!!
Seem like many have fallen on hard times imo within that area

South Point still travels well. There are a lot of schools that South Point will have more fans than the home team. Playoff games surprise me the most when teams show up with less that a hundred fans.

It will never be like the old days. I guess there is so much for people to do today besides watch high school football. What else can you do for entertainment that lasts 2 -2 1/2 hours for that price. Of course I’d still be going if tickets were $15,00. I’m addicted. I don’t have a kid, grandkid, nephew or any kin folk playing. I personally know very few people that do. I live in what is now Stewart Cramer territory. I could, (well someone with a throwing arm could) throw a rock three times and it the building from my house. But once a Red Raider, always a Red Raider. I’m a proud 1978 graduate of South Point High School.
GO BIG RED !!!

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
South Point still travels well. There are a lot of schools that South Point will have more fans than the home team. Playoff games surprise me the most when teams show up with less that a hundred fans.

It will never be like the old days. I guess there is so much for people to do today besides watch high school football. What else can you do for entertainment that lasts 2 -2 1/2 hours for that price. Of course I’d still be going if tickets were $15,00. I’m addicted. I don’t have a kid, grandkid, nephew or any kin folk playing. I personally know very few people that do. I live in what is now Stewart Cramer territory. I could, (well someone with a throwing arm could) throw a rock three times and it the building from my house. But once a Red Raider, always a Red Raider. I’m a proud 1978 graduate of South Point High School.
GO BIG RED !!!
Very few school have a good following - I am spoiled bc Mooresville is one of them so when I go to other game n some are only half full I’m like where is everyone at

3A/2A CCC in the late 80s and early 90s. Big gates and family atmosphere. Tville should not have been 2A last time round but enjoyed them and Salisbury much more than MC and Aboro

ND
OG
Ledford
CD
ED
WD
Lexington
Salisbury

The district lines being changed have also changed the dynamic of certain rivalries. I would like to see ND and Tville play every year regardless of classification because the history of the few games played in the short lived series has been tremendous. Tville and North challenge each other in ways that few others do. I laughed when I read about Allen Brown tweaking ND in the 80s for being bigger but always playing guys both ways while Tville two platoons and that made the difference. I don't think Allen ever forgave Hinkle for winning that first game in 77 lol...

Same with Lexington. The rivalry became uncompetitive toward the end so I understand the drop and also the reasons behind it, both fair and unfair. But dang do I miss the Battle of Old Hwy 52. Philpott and Palmer Field can't be more than 10 miles from each other lol. BTW I will Always hate Lexington. And respect them and their history at the same time. North only won two games against Lexington in the 60s and 70s, then it got competitive in the 80s and North dominated since the 90s began. Don Palmer scheduled Lexington to prep little 2A ND against the 4A power in the beginning years... how things change...

As for OG their natural rivals are obviously ND and Ledford but the rivalry with Ledford is one sided at this point... OG and Tville was very competitive and I would like to see that again. OG and Lexington doesn't feel natural to be honest, but maybe if Lexington ever gets serious again. CD on the other hand would be a nice rival but have to win a game first. They couldn't even beat sophomores and juniors... Even Lexington managed that!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT