ADVERTISEMENT

Enrollment numbers updated

New Bern with barely 1600. I see several 3A schools with a higher ADM than us. Wonder if we'll be going to 3A soon.

Probably not until next realignment unless it's appealed

All those high schools in the Charlotte area and Myers Oark has 3700 students 🤯🤯🤯🤯

Why do they have to count them.?
Why is Rosman counting the learning center.?
They went from 350 to 450.
The count is based on grades 9-12. Only a few schools have 10-12. Has been that way for at least thirty years.

No idea on Rosman. Are those students allowed to participate in athletics?

The count is based on grades 9-12. Only a few schools have 10-12. Has been that way for at least thirty years.

No idea on Rosman. Are those students allowed to participate in athletics?
I know it's 9-12
. Been that way longer than 30 year.

In Wilmington we have a few charter schools that have no athletics. The kids that go there can play at their appointed HS. I it adds about 250 kids to Hoggards ADM. I am not aware of a single kid from those charter schools to play at Hoggard. I know a few kids from Southeast Homeschool played for Laney.

Al Brown 4A and West Charlotte 3A and they are separated by 56 or so student’s. When I went to Butler we had around 2300, the numbers dipped some to 1975 or so.

Al Brown 4A and West Charlotte 3A and they are separated by 56 or so student’s. When I went to Butler we had around 2300, the numbers dipped some to 1975 or so.
Butler was on the 4A/4AA cusp a few years ago. Crazy how they have 1,900 and Providence 2,100 then Myers Park 3,700. You would think they could figure out the districting a bit. West Charlotte did border Myers Park district downtown so that is another anomaly.

Butler was on the 4A/4AA cusp a few years ago. Crazy how they have 1,900 and Providence 2,100 then Myers Park 3,700. You would think they could figure out the districting a bit. West Charlotte did border Myers Park district downtown so that is another anomaly.
Last Spring 2021, Butler was 4A instead of 4AA against Grimsley in the West Final. They were on the line a year or two before that. I was surprised at East Meck numbers being as high as they were. I thought Rocky River would be around 1600.

The Fact we have schools with 1500 kids playing schools in football with dang near 4000 kids is stupid. Then the State says add more Classifications but then it has to be voted on and won't go into effect for 2-3 more years? Change it to 5A or 7A teams will have to travel further for conference/district games make it happen put it into effect immediately.

MP-3700
AK-3600
S. Meck -3400
A. Friend, Brought-2700
Hough-2500
Apex, Laney, Hoke, Enloe,E. Meck, P. Creek, JC-2400
N. Meck, Cor Hold, M. Creek-2300
What do all these schools have in common?

NB-1600
Grimsley- 2000

MP-3700
AK-3600
S. Meck -3400
A. Friend, Brought-2700
Hough-2500

NB-1600
Grimsley- 2000
Nothing in common, that I'm familiar with.

The Fact we have schools with 1500 kids playing schools in football with dang near 4000 kids is stupid. Then the State says add more Classifications but then it has to be voted on and won't go into effect for 2-3 more years? Change it to 5A or 7A teams will have to travel further for conference/district games make it happen put it into effect immediately.
None of those dang near 4000 kid programs, have busted a grape in Football. It only matters if 2000 of those male kids are actually trying out for football. They're not! People assume because of the numbers, that these school have very high football participation. They don't. Some of these schools with lower admin number, have more kids trying out for football than the higher enrollment number programs.

Reactions: portcity FB
You have to give more notice than that for scheduling. Remember a few years ago when the NCHSAA voted to take out the bye week in the football schedule. You could play 11 games but had 11 weeks. Season dates changed. Messed up scheduling with in state out of conference games but really hurt a few border state areas that lost games with nearby schools from other states taking some below ten games. Some opponents would not schedule again in the future because they were a bit gun shy.

In Wilmington we have a few charter schools that have no athletics. The kids that go there can play at their appointed HS. I it adds about 250 kids to Hoggards ADM. I am not aware of a single kid from those charter schools to play at Hoggard. I know a few kids from Southeast Homeschool played for Laney.
Wilmington needs to open another HS and in the next realignment all the schools wont have to play in a split conference

NCHSAA will not put it in to effect until 2 more years completed. They are not going put that much work in.

The vote they're wanting to take on 7 classifications but limit to 64 schools might work for the larger schools but doesn't work in 1A with currently only 67 out of the 107 schools playing football while only around 6 schools in the from 2A - 4A doesn't. So with a 64 limit that would only live you with something like 30 schools 18 in the current East and 12 in the West who play football. So you'd have to give 1A more schools than the rest to have enough to have football. If you want equal numbers across the board I only see 5 classifications working that's something like 86 in 1A with 52 football teams and 2A - 5A with 85 schools including the other 6 non-football teams mixed in.

MP-3700
AK-3600
S. Meck -3400
A. Friend, Brought-2700
Hough-2500

NB-1600
Grimsley- 2000
More in response to the poster yhou responded to as I know you are well aware.

A new school opens next year or the year after that will reduce each of those top three schools. Should get them all below 3,000. Problem is the growth continues with people moving to the area and the growth of student age population in some demographics. Budget funds and approval, purchasing land, zoning, approvals, and actual construction can take extended time periods.

NCHSAA will not put it in to effect until 2 more years completed. They are not going put that much work in.
Talk with you AD and coaches and see if they want the process started now for next year. There would no way to get non conference games scheduled simply and would be a last second crap shoot. Teams from your confernence would suffer more than most on scheduling.

The biggest reason we requested to move to 3A is because we can’t compete against those 2300-3700+ student schools in the minor sports. Our AD made a point that our cross country team had 10 guys, we come to the regional in Charlotte and there were teams with 30-50 runners, and other minor sports (individual sports) were the same. It’s not just about football.

in my opinion they should have 1a-4a classifications and for football ONLY have a 5a classification just for playoffs....so you would play in a normal 4a conference and then for playoffs if your enrollment meets the qualifications you would be seated into the 5a bracket....It is possible that every "5a team would make the playoffs due to number of schools but there is no perfect plan....this way travel would only impact during the playoffs not regular season play. It would also not water down other sports that dont need 5 classifications

Wilmington needs to open another HS and in the next realignment all the schools wont have to play in a split conference
If they do that then NH and Ashley could drop to 3A along with the new school. Wilmington does not need another HS now.

They need to make conferences to make sense for the rest of the state!
I agree but opening another school in Wilmington isnt the answer. I hate it for the Brunswick Co teams And i hate it for the 4A schools in the conf. The only way to make this conf all 4A teams is to add PS and Lumberton or add NB and Rose.

They need to make conferences to make sense for the rest of the state!
About 15 years ago when the state rep from way down east threatened to have the conferences changed by a House vote because his two schools were not happy with the conference they were placed in.

NCHSAA went to him and explained why the conference was the structured the way it was and requested to let one of their people come into a committee meeting or before the House to explain and answer questions.

The House member got some fellow members to vote for his bill and had the vote first thing in the morning and got it approved and the conference was changed. It totally screwed two schools, much worse than the two that were helped, as they had no were to go to play like sized schools. The NCHSAA knew nothing about it until the principal from one of the schools called to apologize as he understood the ramifications for the other schools.

There is a ripple effect when changes are made so what looks good for one school may really be bad for another school.

About 15 years ago when the state rep from way down east threatened to have the conferences changed by a House vote because his two schools were not happy with the conference they were placed in.

NCHSAA went to him and explained why the conference was the structured the way it was and requested to let one of their people come into a committee meeting or before the House to explain and answer questions.

The House member got some fellow members to vote for his bill and had the vote first thing in the morning and got it approved and the conference was changed. It totally screwed two schools, much worse than the two that were helped, as they had no were to go to play like sized schools. The NCHSAA knew nothing about it until the principal from one of the schools called to apologize as he understood the ramifications for the other schools.

There is a ripple effect when changes are made so what looks good for one school may really be bad for another school.
Typical NC legislature BS. Abuse of power is rapidly becoming the norm.

I agree but opening another school in Wilmington isnt the answer. I hate it for the Brunswick Co teams And i hate it for the 4A schools in the conf. The only way to make this conf all 4A teams is to add PS and Lumberton or add NB and Rose.
State needs to give us a gas card if we go back to a conference with the Wilmington schools.

Reactions: AmosAlonzoStagg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT