ADVERTISEMENT

End of the "Drive For Five" Shelby Dynasty in Lenoir

2Ainsider

Jun 13, 2011
Since the other thread is already too long I am going start this one. Is this "Drive For Five" slogan been something that has been discussed all year in and around Cleveland County or is it a FFN thing cus it sure has been overplayed week after week on WBTV Football Friday Night as it gets old hearing them bring it up on air every show! How about WBTV send up Delano or Nate W to cover this game as they sure seem to be leading this Shelby bandwagon instead of sending Steve O so they can be there in person to see the Drive For Five meet it's end at Jeff Storie Stadium in Lenoir. I'm not saying Shelby is not good but they have received way too much attention even going back to last year as FFN made them out to be the best team in the state in any classification which they were not as they would not have survived in either 3A where we were one of the top teams in the west or 4A for that matter. Shelby has not seen the combination of special teams and defense like the Hibriten Defense in my opinion as this is the best defense we have ever had at Hibriten and probably the best defense in all of Caldwell County since the early 90's. There has sure been alot of noise probably more so last year compared to this year about Hollifield for Shelby maybe cus of his younger brother being on the team now distracts him but the best defensive player on the field Friday night making the most impact will be our senior leader #52 N.Haney DE for Hibriten! I'm sure if UNC Coach Larry Fedora decides to show up again to continue to watch Dax he will instead leave Lenoir wanting to know who #52 for Hibriten is once the night is finished. Does anyone know what the modern day record is for holding teams either to a shutout or 7 points or less in a season for a defense? There will be some good hits probably on both sides of the ball in this game but it is going to be a long rough night for DaDa as someone will surely need to get him a Little Gatorade to ride home with. All of Caldwell county will be there at Jeff Storie stadium this Friday except for probably South Caldwell but it still will be the largest & loudest crowd possibly in the last 20 years at a sporting event in Caldwell County. My nephew is a sophomore in the Hibriten program on the JV team and he can't wait to be on varsity next year as Hibriten will be right back here in this 2A regional final again going for it's own Back to Back State Championships once we knock Shelby off it's throne and become the new dynasty of 2A football until we go back to 3A as the "Drive For Five" will potentially end this Friday in Lenoir!

Since the other thread is already too long I am going start this one. Is this "Drive For Five" slogan been something that has been discussed all year in and around Cleveland County or is it a FFN thing cus it sure has been overplayed week after week on WBTV Football Friday Night as it gets old hearing them bring it up on air every show! How about WBTV send up Delano or Nate W to cover this game as they sure seem to be leading this Shelby bandwagon instead of sending Steve O so they can be there in person to see the Drive For Five meet it's end at Jeff Storie Stadium in Lenoir. I'm not saying Shelby is not good but they have received way too much attention even going back to last year as FFN made them out to be the best team in the state in any classification which they were not as they would not have survived in either 3A where we were one of the top teams in the west or 4A for that matter. Shelby has not seen the combination of special teams and defense like the Hibriten Defense in my opinion as this is the best defense we have ever had at Hibriten and probably the best defense in all of Caldwell County since the early 90's. There has sure been alot of noise probably more so last year compared to this year about Hollifield for Shelby maybe cus of his younger brother being on the team now distracts him but the best defensive player on the field Friday night making the most impact will be our senior leader #52 N.Haney DE for Hibriten! I'm sure if UNC Coach Larry Fedora decides to show up again to continue to watch Dax he will instead leave Lenoir wanting to know who #52 for Hibriten is once the night is finished. Does anyone know what the modern day record is for holding teams either to a shutout or 7 points or less in a season for a defense? There will be some good hits probably on both sides of the ball in this game but it is going to be a long rough night for DaDa as someone will surely need to get him a Little Gatorade to ride home with. All of Caldwell county will be there at Jeff Storie stadium this Friday except for probably South Caldwell but it still will be the largest & loudest crowd possibly in the last 20 years at a sporting event in Caldwell County. My nephew is a sophomore in the Hibriten program on the JV team and he can't wait to be on varsity next year as Hibriten will be right back here in this 2A regional final again going for it's own Back to Back State Championships once we knock Shelby off it's throne and become the new dynasty of 2A football until we go back to 3A as the "Drive For Five" will potentially end this Friday in Lenoir!

Cool story bro!!!

I know good and we'll we got to bring our A game. This will be our 5th regional final and we have zero wins.

I will only comment on one item. Shelby would lose in either 3A bracket last year.

Reidsville was the best team on the field last year at Wake. Would have easily defeated the four 3A teams represented.

Some say Shelby may have been better than Reidsville last year. So the argument that Shelby would have gone down in the 3A playoffs is false. Very false.

A quick insecure reaction from a program (E Duplin) that longs to be respected. Sad but true.
we are respected very much in the east! i doubt anybody on our end cares much at all if Shelby fans respect us or not. i know i dont.

2aposter, thank you for this bulletin board
Materal for my boys.
U talk about your D, well get ready, you havent seen a D till u see ours.
Cant wait to put the clamps on Hibriten offense

I got to see hibriten up close last week..no one disputes the D is legit and Gee is special..yes I'm a franklin fan ..and I said last week we had our hands more than full..hibriten was a class act and Shelby was a very class act last year in 2nd round..no disrespect to hibriten..but until you beat Shelby or South point...ill side w Shelby or South point..#52 Is a DAMN good player but #44 from Shelby Can wreck an offense..several franklim fans will journey back to Lenoir to watch what should be a clsssic..lions 17-14

2aposter, thank you for this bulletin board
Materal for my boys.
U talk about your D, well get ready, you havent seen a D till u see ours.
Cant wait to put the clamps on Hibriten offense
Neither team needs bulletin board material. Sadly the Panthers will be playing with heart for a fallen classmate as well as the drive for respect. Most expects Shelby to win, they've been there , done That! If Shelby wins, come Saturday it will be as if isn't this supposed to happen. If Hibriten wins , the sky will lighten up and the ground will shake. All over NC it will be the topic of discussion! What I'm getting at here is look closely because it's Shelby that's got everything to lose. The pressure will be more on Shelby and Hibriten practically has everything to gain and nothing to lose

Oh and why is senior leader #52 not one of the SIX finalists for the US Army National Player of the year award like Dax Hollifield is if #52 is that much better than him?

Reactions: blkgolddynasty
Shelby will be playing with heart too, Coach Emery over offense mom died this week.

September 15th is when panther nation started the chant they wanted Shelby, well now u got them good luck should be a good one.

Reactions: HitmanT
Just an observation.. People Chant they want Bama. Doesn't necessarily mean they're sane. Shelby can win it all. Sort of like saying you want Reidsville, Shelby, Wake Forest etc. Normally it doesn't work out so well

Could a Hibriten fan please tell us how many teams you have played this year with a winning record?

Really? How many years are we going to have to keep addressing the SOS thing entering this game? In addition to our fair share of "cupcakes" on the schedule, we thoroughly beat a Robinson team who will be playing in the 3A West game on Friday. I understood it in '03, but we're not exactly a Gonzaga/cinderella story here anymore -- just crashing the party. Hence the "5th time the charm" label jokingly being thrown around. No, we're not Shelby, South Point, Crest, Reidsville, etc., but Hibriten has achieved a brand status now (especially here in the west). You should definitely know a little about them by now.

Last 15 years:
- 9 10+ win seasons
- A Regular in Top 10 (AP Poll, NCPreps, Carolina Preps, Simmons, etc.)
- 4 Western Regional Final appearances ( at multiple levels 3A/2A)
- players going on to FBS/FCS college, NFL

Have we kicked in that state championship game door? No. But we haven't been embarrassed or looked like we don't belong on this stage, either. We'll hold our own come Friday night.

Last edited:
Nobody chanted they wanted Shelby. Most ppl thought they would be small 2a to start the season.
It's been said every since that game all threw the hibriten community that y'all wanted Shelby so u can deny it all u want but it doesn't matter cause y'all got them now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT