ADVERTISEMENT

Elkin names Brad Baker HFC

Maybe I'm wrong but I really would not be surprised at all if the job becomes a family affair. Look at Elkin and then look north, and you'll connect the dots.

If it is a "family" affair, their is no reason it will not work well for Elkin. It sure worked good for East Surry for many years.

Just because it worked 1 place doesn't mean it works at another place.

This would be a totally different dynamic than ES anyway

went to Basketball games Wed & Thursday held at Elkin HS…..no hire yet I was told…

I think the longer it takes, the weaker the candiate pool gets.
Yes, better coaching opportunities may come open elsewhere in early 2024 so Elkin needs to make a move or they may lose a good coach. Good luck to Elkin and their choice, but make it soon. The longer they wait the more players they may lose to East Wilkes and Starmount.

I bet Tyler Robbins gets it…that’s the name I keep hearing was the D coordinator this past year he Elkin alumni

Just talked to Gordon. Very upfront on why he removed his name after being offered an interview. I ask him if this was confidential and he said absolutely not....So here goes He wanted to know the salary. Wanted to know what the job expectations were and wanted a weight lifting class with all the athletes and football players. No response on the email. When he talked to the principal, he said he felt like it would be a token interview and his daughter was home from Dental School in Chicago. What he told me he wanted to do was mentor a chosen coach to take over the program after Elkin became relevant again. He wanted his son to have the Elkin experience for his last year. His son is graduating a year early due to academics and is a might fine RB and LB. Instead he is going to Coastal Carolina University ( Gordon Walters has coached at the highest levels of high school football in the South and we are not prepared enough for questions we all would ask. ) I will be cheering on the Elks this year as always, but in my mind I am thinking someone dropped the ball. Good luck to whoever is hired. I just hope it is alumni.

Mr. 20famous,

Is it common practice before an interview is granted to state that you only want the job for about 3 years and would be training his replacement. I know a lot of coaches that have gone on interviews and salary not discussed in initial interview. I do realize that he has tremendous credentials and was expecting more. Some of the other things listed seems reasonable.

Just a curious mind.

I’m guessing that an announcement is coming soon; after the Holidays is when teams usually get started on next season

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
If a school hires a coach that only wants to coach 3 years then turn it over to someone else, that means you also have to hire someone waiting in the wing. Tough to do at a small school at Elkin that has very few teaching openings usually. Wood vacated a Math position. As far as I know none of the PE teachers are leaving, and it's not like they can easily move someone around within the district, and they aren't going to fire someone just to open up a PE job.

They may get stuck and have to wait until closer to years end once they see if there are any open positions due to resignations and retirements.

It says a 12-month position with multiple teaching positions open, in small blue letters. someone said the coach should be a teacher on page 1.

Clink the image to enlarge.
F_Y0cFbXcAA4j1f

Last edited:
Reactions: FormerDog38
If a school hires a coach that only wants to coach 3 years then turn it over to someone else, that means you also have to hire someone waiting in the wing. Tough to do at a small school at Elkin that has very few teaching openings usually. Wood vacated a Math position. As far as I know none of the PE teachers are leaving, and it's not like they can easily move someone around within the district, and they aren't going to fire someone just to open up a PE job.

They may get stuck and have to wait until closer to years end once they see if there are any open positions due to resignations and retirements.
I do know a coach that was hired in March and accepted, different county than previously employed, started working with football team immediately, but physically couldn’t start at new school till fall semester as teaching position didn’t open till then. Resigned from football coaching but stayed on to teach.

As stated many times teaching is what they are hired to do first.

Dont understand why districts don’t have more urgency when it comes to these positions

Lot of moving parts hiring positions such as this, mixed with the holidays being in the middle of the process. Sometimes it takes clearing a teaching position. Sometimes a candiate accepts the job but their district holds them. Interviews, reference checks, backgrounds, etc. Process takes time. You want to move fast but you also want to do your due diligence. All while this is going on the administration has a thousand other things going on within the building. This isn't Alabama University hiring Nick Sabens replacement.

Reactions: davisdorm
Each school has their own way of doing it. I know our job was posted April 11 and was open for applicants for a few weeks.

A coaching committee was formed. We narrowed down the applicants and held interviews on May 2nd. Then it was narrowed again. Greg Lloyd was named head coach May 15th.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712

I feel like that would be the best way to do it. If he is a great coach then part of being a great coach is being great at coaching his assistants. At a small school like Elkin if they could get 1-2 assistants who learned from a great coach they could in theory carry on that legacy. Look at Adkins in Mount airy for example. I remember when he was at East and seeing articles about the coaching tree he was from and now if you look at the coaching tree he is leaving. The guy now at East seems to be a carbon copy of what JK was at East and they didn’t have a bad season for a really young team.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
It will be 2 months in 12 days (10:35 AM · Nov 20, 2023) on here and Twitter now X) Since Elkin listed here they needed a coach and it seems they are having a problem. Is it no one wants to coach there for some reasons mentioned earlier or Elkin have not found the appropriate match for the position? Is there any insider news that knows the progress on the process that can enlighten us ?

Last edited:
There is someone that wants to coach there, I know that for a fact. They had numerous people to apply. Whether they fit the criteria Elkin is looking for, I can’t answer.

The coach has been selected and approved, look for an announcement in the next day or so. I think it's a very strong hire.

Reactions: REWhitley
I certainly will be pulling for him to build the Elkin program back to a strong competitive level. Elkin needs it, our conference needs it, and most of all the young people at Elkin High School need it.

Congratulations to Elkin and their new Coach ! I hope he can turn things around there and give the NWC more good competitive teams. Looking forward to the 2024 season with a good Starmount team coming together and hopefully, a couple of other teams getting better. There are about 7 depressing months to go before kicking off the 2024 season and looking for safe travel and no injuries for all teams. Also, I hope every one of NCPreps posters is doing ok and as ready as I am for football season to get here. I am sorry if it makes anyone mad because I have such passion for my team(BEARS) but I have followed them for about 55 or more years since I got to Mount Airy Junior High and got to be on the sidelines for 10 years taking pictures for the Mount Airy News but I had to also cover North Surry, East Surry, and Surry Central at times but covered more of the MA games. I really miss that but at 73 I may not be able to get out of the way as fast as I could back then when a play came my way. lol That was the good ole days and the best years of my life. Again Congratulations to Elkin and their new Coach ! ! !

Congratulations to Elkin and their new Coach ! I hope he can turn things around there and give the NWC more good competitive teams. Looking forward to the 2024 season with a good Starmount team coming together and hopefully, a couple of other teams getting better. There are about 7 depressing months to go before kicking off the 2024 season and looking for safe travel and no injuries for all teams. Also, I hope every one of NCPreps posters is doing ok and as ready as I am for football season to get here. I am sorry if it makes anyone mad because I have such passion for my team(BEARS) but I have followed them for about 55 or more years since I got to Mount Airy Junior High and got to be on the sidelines for 10 years taking pictures for the Mount Airy News but I had to also cover North Surry, East Surry, and Surry Central at times but covered more of the MA games. I really miss that but at 73 I may not be able to get out of the way as fast as I could back then when a play came my way. lol That was the good ole days and the best years of my life. Again Congratulations to Elkin and their new Coach ! ! !
Bears for life I'm no spring chicken myself Td at 52 I remember the day of Ronald Johnson calling the games on Radio plus my time there

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT