ADVERTISEMENT

Elkin football 2024?

Doppleganger#

Jul 4, 2003
I just watch the interview HC Brad Baker on WRAL website. Elkin has 17 players returning and players with experience. Not saying Elkin will be world beaters in 2024. Looking at their schedule they might can win 4 or 5 games at the most this season. Any other thoughts?

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I would really like for Elkin to be good again the community is very unique and one of my favorites. I just don’t see them winning more than 2-3 games again. I don’t know that it’s a coaching problem but there doesn’t seem to be very much talent in the program currently.

In a relative small student body, tradition plays such an important part. Coach Grissom certain built that and there was a knowledge that all hands had to be on deck ready to play whatever role.
ELKIN is great community and I hope they get the there again.

Reactions: sbbbfan
I like how they still have grass unlike every school in the area now

I would really like for Elkin to be good again the community is very unique and one of my favorites. I just don’t see them winning more than 2-3 games again. I don’t know that it’s a coaching problem but there doesn’t seem to be very much talent in the program currently.
I am not an Elkin fan, but i think they will win again with in the next several years. If they can keep the coach around they will be fine.

In a relative small student body, tradition plays such an important part. Coach Grissom certain built that and there was a knowledge that all hands had to be on deck ready to play whatever role.
ELKIN is great community and I hope they get the there again.
The other thing with Coach Grissom is he got all the borderline kids between East and Elkin and then starmount and Elkin. I’m not saying they “recruited” but they had a good enough program that the kids that lived in the wilkes county part of west end Elkin and state road would pay and drive to Elkin instead of East. The kids in jonesville close to Elkin would go to Elkin instead of starmount. I think he was a strong enough leader that parents and the community didn’t question him like they did the coach after him. I’m glad there seems to be some excitement around their program though.

Elkin surely can only get better. I do have concerns for their athletic program as a whole with things happening within the system. Also how will the new coach balance the AD duties also with trying to turn around a football program?

Elkin surely can only get better. I do have concerns for their athletic program as a whole with things happening within the system. Also how will the new coach balance the AD duties also with trying to turn around a football program?
Not sure what’s happening in the system, but that second part is almost unthinkable. It’s not the old days when football coach was also AD. So much legal, illegibility and other requirements, he better have a dang good assistant.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
is he the AD as well ? Sheesh that’s a tough ask for him to come in year 1 and turn a football program around and run an athletic program. We all should keep that in mind if they have a terrible season that’s just unreal expectations.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Yes when Pardue left to go to Starmount the new guy was promoted to AD. They did create a middle school AD though to take that responsibility away. Pardue was handing both the high school and middle school I believe but did have an assistant I believe. They did also keep an assistant AD so that will at least help.

As far as the school system their seems to be some issues with the school board creating issues and getting too involved in day to day operations of the schools. I hope for their sake those issues do not trickle down into the athletic program.

I think Elkin could be okay if they stay healthy. That's the big if, as their numbers weren't great last year. Wood told us when we scrimmaged them last August that they had to play JV's vs varsity at practices to get them reps because they didn't have enough kids come out at that point and stay healthy. They eventually did by week 1 and ended up being not too bad for their recent standards but it was watch and go there for a little bit for them. That West Wilkes upset in week 2 on JV last year was huge for them, had that not happen they probably wouldn't have ended the season. They had reason to play after.

They don't have a lot of seniors but the ones they have back are very hard willed kids. They weren't many of them when we played them on JV in '22 and they got tired fast vs us but I respected that group quite a bit they played hard. QB was a Pardue (don't know if he's still there or not I didn't see his name on the Max Preps roster,) and they have a really good lineman by the last name of Spencer who plays both ends for them.

It'll mainly depend on how that senior group leads, it'll either be a hard year or they could surprise and go .500, either bust or boom. When your #'s aren't great leadership is everything. They gotta find ways to keep the turnout stable and make sure the younger teams stay afloat, if not it'll be a hard go for them. There were seasons a few years back that they couldn't field a middle school team, that's the worst thing for them.

I think Elkin could be okay if they stay healthy. That's the big if, as their numbers weren't great last year. Wood told us when we scrimmaged them last August that they had to play JV's vs varsity at practices to get them reps because they didn't have enough kids come out at that point and stay healthy. They eventually did by week 1 and ended up being not too bad for their recent standards but it was watch and go there for a little bit for them. That West Wilkes upset in week 2 on JV last year was huge for them, had that not happen they probably wouldn't have ended the season. They had reason to play after.

They don't have a lot of seniors but the ones they have back are very hard willed kids. They weren't many of them when we played them on JV in '22 and they got tired fast vs us but I respected that group quite a bit they played hard. QB was a Pardue (don't know if he's still there or not I didn't see his name on the Max Preps roster,) and they have a really good lineman by the last name of Spencer who plays both ends for them.

It'll mainly depend on how that senior group leads, it'll either be a hard year or they could surprise and go .500, either bust or boom. When your #'s aren't great leadership is everything. They gotta find ways to keep the turnout stable and make sure the younger teams stay afloat, if not it'll be a hard go for them. There were seasons a few years back that they couldn't field a middle school team, that's the worst thing for them.
Slasher, just my thought, mind you, but I have really missed your unique and valued input on all things high school football in our area.
Nice to see you back sharing your thoughts and observations.

They just picked up a big transfer from EW if I’m not being told wrong was one of EWs top three athletes from what I was told

Slasher, just my thought, mind you, but I have really missed your unique and valued input on all things high school football in our area.
Nice to see you back sharing your thoughts and observations.

Glad to be back sir, thank you so much for those kind words. Figured no one would notice. Glad to have been proven wrong.

Life's been hectic but I'm back. I'll have more stuff the next few weeks. Trying to figure my approach out for the season :).

They just picked up a big transfer from EW if I’m not being told wrong was one of EWs top three athletes from what I was told

Hmm.. interesting. First I've heard about it too.

I wouldn't be surprised if so. Elkin upset them last year and that was when Wood wasn't there, really opened a lot of eyes. EW's had Elkin's mojo for the past decade minus a year or two there, this is their shot to flip it back. It'll be a great series to watch the next few years for sure.

I'll let you know if it's true soon. We scrimmage Elkin down there on the 9th of August. Looking forward to it, love playing down there.

Hmm.. interesting. First I've heard about it too.

I wouldn't be surprised if so. Elkin upset them last year and that was when Wood wasn't there, really opened a lot of eyes. EW's had Elkin's mojo for the past decade minus a year or two there, this is their shot to flip it back. It'll be a great series to watch the next few years for sure.

I'll let you know if it's true soon. We scrimmage Elkin down there on the 9th of August. Looking forward to it, love playing down there.
I’m guessing it’s officially true I got sent a screen shot of a parents FB post where they said they were switching from East to Elkin but idk if it was the good athlete that everybody says because I’m not to familiar with the people down that way anymore. People like to make a bigger deal out of this stuff than it really is sometimes so it could all be a bunch of nothing.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
I’m guessing it’s officially true I got sent a screen shot of a parents FB post where they said they were switching from East to Elkin but idk if it was the good athlete that everybody says because I’m not to familiar with the people down that way anymore. People like to make a bigger deal out of this stuff than it really is sometimes so it could all be a bunch of nothing.
They had about one stud on that team last year and he graduated.

Not sure who the kid your thinking of but the one i know for sure transferred is a good athlete. Played qb on the middle school team few years ago. Probably be a good qb or rb. Definitely miss him at EW

Reactions: TheEyeInTheSky
Not sure who the kid your thinking of but the one i know for sure transferred is a good athlete. Played qb on the middle school team few years ago. Probably be a good qb or rb. Definitely miss him at EW
Yes that’s the one I think they meant I was told he was going to be the starter at East this year.

Not a starter for qb. He may of been in the discussion for one of the running backs but we already have two senior qb's who are both just as good as the other.

IK Elkin has lost a left handed QB to Surry Central. But he will just be playing baseball at SC.
Interesting that one transfers to Surry Central for baseball considering some of the programs in the area are certainly much better.

IIs this One of the two kids that was really good on JV football last year but quit to focus on baseball? How does that happen at Elkin. Just a prime example of how far that program has fallen.
Interesting that one transfers to Surry Central for baseball considering some of the programs in the area are certainly much better.

Not a starter for qb. He may of been in the discussion for one of the running backs but we already have two senior qb's who are both just as good as the other.
He was the JV QB last year tho. How did you have two QBs that didn’t play any QB last year or ever before? Not trying to be a jerk I’m genuinely asking because to me that doesn’t make much sense. In a system as hard as the Flexbone I’d assume your QB would need as much time as he can get. If I’m not mistaken MA had a similar situation in 21 where they had a really good Senior who could play QB and they went with the sophomore and let him grow it seems to have worked for them

He was the JV QB last year tho. How did you have two QBs that didn’t play any QB last year or ever before? Not trying to be a jerk I’m genuinely asking because to me that doesn’t make much sense. In a system as hard as the Flexbone I’d assume your QB would need as much time as he can get. If I’m not mistaken MA had a similar situation in 21 where they had a really good Senior who could play QB and they went with the sophomore and let him grow it seems to have worked for them
Not sure what you mean by how we had 2 qb that never played any last year. They are both seniors and played qb last year. One was the starter clearly and the other filled in from time to time. Lambert and Blackburn are the names. Both just as good as the other. Honestly not sure what you was getting at, clarify? As for the transfer, you are correct he did start on JV last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT