ADVERTISEMENT

Elkin at Mt Airy—net Broadcast

Should be a good game between two old county rivals. The only two city High Schools in Surry County. The series began in 1925 with the Bears winning 20-0 under Head Coach Ross Ricker. Ricker (1924-1926) was the 3rd coach to lead the Bears. 1925 was the first of many winning seasons for the Bears. The 1925 team went 6-2-1. Elkin got their first win in the series in 1926 by a score of 26-0.

Mount Airy leads the series with a 39-13-2 record against their neighbors.

The Bears are on a 6 game winning streak against the Buckin Elks. The last 6 games have not been close with the Bears averaging 54 points to Elkin's 8.

Reactions: gdawg74
At 3-0-4, it's definitely not a losing record, but what is it?

If you have more wins than losses, that's a winning record. If you have more losses than wins, it's a losing record. But what if your ties outnumber wins and losses? A "tied" record? Guess it's about how one looks at it. Never seen or heard of anything like that when ties outnumber both wins and losses combined.

In the NFL, ties are counted as 1/2 wins. I guess it is the same at all levels???

So, 3 wins + 2 wins for the 4 ties = 5 win /7 games = 71.4%

Good question: It may raise our school and other schools (like Elkin's) win percentage if ties are counted this way.

That is the way I have being doing it. However, the NFL way makes more sense. In the 1926 Elkin case, they had an undefeated season with a losing winning percentage.

Remarkable and it depends on how it's counted at a certain point in history. If counted as ties back then, and then in 1970s as one half wins, and then in present day as ties, it makes the school winning percentages all the more complex. I've never heard of an undefeated season, but what could be also called a "non winning season" even though undefeated. I think of it as a winning season for sure, but one could argue it's a "tied season." That term isn't used or really heard of because I cant think of a situation in history where ties outnumber both wins and losses. Just weird all around.

That's just how Fball was back in that era. There was little to no passing; you had to beat your opponent to death by running the ball down their throat In the words of Mick Foley it was "Kill the guy with the ball," well that was 1899 era football lol. Anyways If you couldn't get the run going then you were screwed unless you had a QB who could throw somewhat of a pass. I've found high school film from 1940 on YT; glorious stuff. This gamefilm's in color but it's very old film:

Definitely how Football was in 1940.

Nice to see both teams went back that far; only found Elkin records back to the 1946 season in an old yearbook; they were HUGE for a 40's squad. Played more rural mountain teams then.with just enough to do varsity (no JV's then.) The smaller Surry/Yadkin schools played 8 man ball until late 40's. First local league had Dobson, Boonville, Yadkinville, West Yadkin, and Franklin in it if I remember right.

The game was very interesting in those early days before tons of consolidated schools popped up. Funny story I found in my historian work but for NS to win our very first game in the opening 1959 season instead of kicking the ball we had to run a conversion in the end zone to beat Boonville 7-6 and not get a tie. It was no 2 pointer either; that run was for 1. Either Boonville had no crossbars or the game musta been wacky.

Just wondering these kids can get injured in practice but I will say defensive line was much improved tonight with penetration up front and hill had a pretty dang good game

Reactions: buzzcoach
Score could have been a hundred to nothing, Bears looked good , gonna be interesting game next week, morehead played reidsville tight tonight. In this offense, schedule, and if he isn’t benched after halftime cause of leads this qb could see 3000 yds plus in passing before years end. This offense is gonna be crazy good by the time November rolls around, crazy amount of weapons

Reactions: Bearfan71
Eden Morehead is a 3A school Reildsville 2A the Rams have some talent if you go back in history Mt Airy had some great rivalrys against Reildsvlle back in the day and we are also members of the big 3 most wins with shelby and Reildsville if I'm not mistaken

Coach Adkins told me after that game that Johnathon Smith was banged up and that Jaedon Hill had gotten the reps in practice this week. Said that Smith was feeling better today but that the decision was still made to hold him out.

I've never heard of any way of computing winning percentages than a tie being a half-game won and a half-game lost. A team that goes 3-0-4 would be at .714, as weird as it sounds for a team that failed to win more than half its games.

Back in the early days of the internet, you could still find Michigan football fans joking sardonically about their "undefeated dream season of 1992." Michigan went 9-0-3, intentionally tying its last two regular-season games to ensure it would go to the Rose Bowl. This is how they "celebrated" their undefeated regular season:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT