Post From MA Bears Historian.....

MA Bears Historian
https://twitter.com/MABearHistorian
@MABearHistorian
·
3h

Tonight, is the 58th meeting between
@GraniteBears

. lead series 37-20 with each team splitting the last 6. East Surry currently on 3 game win streak.
FbGRpazXgAAqklV

Last edited:
Reactions: Maiden Creek
Mt Airy line getting killed. East got that line coach that was at west stokes when they won championship

Enjoyed this game. Deff a tale of two half’s. Extra point blocked by east ended up winning the ball game. East was big and physical up front. Very physical game up front. Looked like the Bears actually wore the cards down a bit late in the second half. Bears are gonna be real good for several years to come. Deff don’t have anything to hang there heads about after tonight. These games only make you better. Not having Caleb Reid tonight hurt the Bears. 5 going out late in the 4th hurt as well. No excuses great win for the cards and good luck the rest of the way. East will do well and I expect to see another Mitchell / Mt Airy matchup late in the playoffs.

Defence really stepped up for Mt Airy tonight if it hadn't this could have got ugly offense did not perform tonight like we thought they would
Both team’s defenses played very well. Lots of credit to the Bears, especially in the 2nd half - they outplayed the ES offense, especially along the line. The ES D played well throughout the game, barring a few penalties. If you told me before the game that our D would give up only 12 points tonight, I (along with most every other Cardinal fan) would have gladly taken it.

Great high school football game. Not disappointed at all. MA showed they were not a pushover. After all the hype of Boaz I really was not impressed. Yes he made some beautiful passes but also some that were ugly. Of course he was under pressure all night.

Reactions: BigRedFan27
First of all what a great ball game. We are much better than I thought. I really thought Mount airy was going to get us. Couple of things come to mind. So know who buzz coach is. I think everyone knows it. Sitting there tonight watching these teams play they were questionable decisions by both coaching staffs. And honestly if we were stealing their signs shame on us. But it sure looked like we were. Since they went into the huddle in the second half. I am fairly amazed. At that game. It was a great ball game. They really shut down Boaz which is amazing. I really like that. Not. Looks like Mount airy just had athletes in the secondary and they couldn't do much. Well we couldn't do much. One great back shoulder throw that the Mount airy cornerback was all over but it was just a perfect throw. And then a busted coverage it looked like on the other touchdown. But other than that pretty awesome coverage against us. We were a lot more physical up front than they were in the first half. In the second half they beat us up. Our defense played great. Kudos. I do agree though not having a two-point conversion play was a problem. Although both of their starting running backs were out. Anyway one of the best ball games in the series that I've ever seen. Although I missed quite a bit in the 2010 to 2018 range. Great win for the cards. And a great showing by the bears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not? Elkin won 4 state titles with QBs that went both ways and kicked or returned kicks. That's just an excuse.
This kid has a huge heart and great football player. Just saying hard to play middle linebacker and QB in style offense we run. He has taken a lot of hard hits on both sides of the ball. I will say though he is probably best player to play MLB for MA. He is tuff as nails just don't want to see him wore down half way through season. #15 is a beast so hopefully it will be ok.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
It is Saturday morning, therefore a night to think about the game. And what a game it was!

Congratulations to East Surry. They are experienced, big, strong and disciplined, talented and very well coached. The surprise for me is that they were much faster than I had heard, and thought they would be.

Any one that says Mt Airy is overrated is just plain stupid, void of any rational thought or knowledge of football.
With 3 starters out due to injury, I would have been happy if the Bears were down only 20 at the half. They were down 14. Then shut down East in the 2nd half.

Yes, maybe both coaches staff made a few questionable calls. But what I saw was the Mt Airy coaching staff made a bunch of great and absolutely necessary calls when they needed to be called given that Mt Airy was playing without a full complement of players, due to rain and injuries less than a full week of practice getting 2nd team players ready, and playing a "lights out defense" by the Cardinals.

This game was one play away from being tied up; a two point conversion attempt without either of our starting running backs or our number one receiver. Yes the Coach had to call a second Time Out because he saw the team was not recognizing the line up that East put out there during their side of the time out.

Criticize the Bear Coach. Heck NO. He did what he should have done! He reset again to give his team the best chance to be successful.

The Cardinals are for REAL. I hope, and believe, they will go undefeated the rest of the way. But any body that was at that game should be convinced that the Bears will be playing late in November. They have the players and the Coaching Staff to do it.

Considering ES big line MA was in backfield all night long. Only a couple of times was Boaz comfortable. That was impressive. Just think how good last years game could have been

Watching game again on TV MA needs to get better at pass blocking #15 Gallimore had no time to throw most plays. They did good job run blocking. Coaches will get it straight. Defense whole lot better from last week and that's with few starters missing.

This game was played 9 weeks earlier than it normally is the last regular game of the season. Both of these teams will be scary for their competition. Best of luck to both teams to go deep into the playoffs. With all the Mount Airy team being Jr. heavy and the way the JVs have started with big wins over North & East Surry. I think Mount Airy could be playing in a state championship in 2023 next year, or that's my hope for what looks to be a great team. There is also the possibility of some of the JV team moving up this year with the JV team having around 12 plus players more than the varsity. Again good luck to both Mount Airy & East Surry to go deep in the playoffs !

This game was played 9 weeks earlier than it normally is the last regular game of the season. Both of these teams will be scary for their competition. Best of luck to both teams to go deep into the playoffs. With all the Mount Airy team being Jr. heavy and the way the JVs have started with big wins over North & East Surry. I think Mount Airy could be playing in a state championship in 2023 next year, or that's my hope for what looks to be a great team. There is also the possibility of some of the JV team moving up this year with the JV team having around 12 plus players more than the varsity. Again good luck to both Mount Airy & East Surry to go deep in the playoffs !
Scary thing MA JV best running back didn't play In the JV game as he had to play both ways in the V game for #25 Reid who had injury last week. But #22 JV looked very good in JV game runni g ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT