ADVERTISEMENT

East Surry @ MA

gdawg74

Nov 4, 2006
Reading the threads from Lawrence Kansas this morning ( not a place for a tarheel fan lol ). Caught the game last night on am radio and watched east on nfhs Thursday night as well. The cards were everything I thought they wouldn’t be. They were well coached and Boaz was throwing darts all over the field. Always impressed with how well coached they are. Blue collar indeed. Same ole Bears last night , stupid penalties galore in a cramp fest. With as much speed as the bears have and if a miracle was to happen and they actually clean up the penalties then they will be everything we think there are capable of being. Very frustrating. I know last nights game had the cards watching from the side line and cars lined up to cedar ridge with fans at the game. Big time atmosphere against a former coach that deff knew how to game plan offensively for the Bears. STILL THIS IS NO EXCUSE!! Hopefully the coaches get it in check this week. Time to move on to week two and the matchup we’ve been looking for. What’s everyone’s thoughts. I will show a little faith and take the bears by 3, in a barn burner. Liked the youth in the bears last night. That was a positive. Boaz will be Boaz but he don’t have a lynch to throw to. We will get his yards . Question is will the bears be good enough to not beat them selves and perform at a level they are capable of. Cards better get this one as they graduate ALOT and next year will be a very different look for them. But with this coaching staff who knows . They are that good. Good luck to both teams, a injury free game. Go Bears

I know it is deff a measuring stick for the two. Then throw in the rivalry aspect of it then I would say it is epic in proportion. Then to add the current head coaches arrived at each school at the same time along with the interview processes at the time and drama along with that. Good stuff for a storyline. I would think that there has to be a competition there in the back of there minds not to say what comes along in pressure from the community. The talent is there for the Bears since JK got there, just got to have that break out year. Caught some bad breaks along the way with Donovan class and the injuries that year , then the flag fest last year against Mitchell . The pipe line is loaded with talent and Un heard of numbers just got to put it together. The bears have the potential to put multiples together championship wise. Ain’t gonna happen till they clean it up and find some discipline and leave the emotions at the house. That’s the contrast in east. 2019 was loaded for them, D1 athletes at a number unheard of at the 1a level. Special. But you can’t say that last year. Hell of a job by the coaching staff maximizing the talent they had . Making the kids believe and a very disciplined run . Almost mistake free. Very blue collar approach. Gonna be a good one hopefully

Last edited:
I am going to do the unforgivable. Cardinals by 14. Or 21. Or more.

Mt Airy's problems are there. Line is not championship caliber, yet. They are young, relative small and not yet skilled enough to stop Mr. Boaz.

And I have not mentioned conditioning. Cramps all over the place. Why? And we are "having" to put the quarterback at linebacker. We are just asking for problems. Maybe we have to, but it will cost us at some point.

Next, and perhaps worse, or more serious: How do you get to "disciplined" from enjoying shooting yourself in the foot with stupid flags? As good a coaching staff as I think Mt Airy has, they somehow have not gotten this level of needed discipline instilled in a group of very fast, very skilled younger players.

They were able to overcome it with North. Not against East Surry and its 21 Seniors. Unfortunately.

I have to weigh in for you Mount airy folks. We have discipline but we Play on extremely different brand of football than Mount airy. Not to say that it's not better than Mount airy's obviously we've had better results. But we've also had some talent that Mount airy has not had. Namely the gosnells and the boazes. I've had to watch or gotten to watch Mount airy quite a bit because my nephew plays for the JV team. And I'm probably just as bad as buzz coach or anybody else that talks junk on here. Although I'm trying to tone that back. Mount airy plays an aggressive attacking style of football but no one around here plays but them. They do get a lot of penalties. And that's from emotion and lack of discipline. They're also extremely young with only seven seniors on the team. I'm pretty sure that Reid will play my nephew says he just has a slight cramping in his thigh region. Not a groin. But hey buzz coaches dialed in somehow. Although I don't know how anybody talks to him considering how much bitching he does. We have a great coach. In lowman. We have a great coaching staff. On the flip side I think JK does a great job. He's running an offense that hardly anybody else runs and no one knows how to do it to defend. But you're right they can't stop shooting themselves in the foot so they get what they get. But I feel like I need to defend them a little bit. I think we win by a touchdown. But I think it'll be a good game. It also is the first game of the year as far as the North Surry game goes. A huge rivalry that took a while to settle down in the better team won. On the contrary about the younger brother starting at quarterback he throws the ball well. But he's not a threat to run. His brother is. And his older brother as tough as nails. Plenty of schools have the quarterback playing linebacker. It looked to me like linebacker play was the biggest problem last night. These message boards are fun for second guessing but I think they're pretty good. They're super strong and super fast. Not a lot of teams have guys that are built like that. There's big guys. But they wear out. There's fast guys but they're not strong. Mount airy has both. And they scare the crap out of me.

Great Post all the way around. I think we cant call MA a young team. Yes they are young in Grade But extremely experienced in varsity game play. A lot of these kids have been starting since there freshman year. I hear some say the penalty's and mistakes carried over from the Mitchell game. But they were also saying the Bears got Robbed by the refs all the way up till the start of the season. I agree the discipline needs to improve. Another thing I think we fail to realize is that it was North Surry last night. A former Bear standout coaching the hounds in his first game and someone that is as familiar with the bears defensive schemes as anyone. The crowd and atmosphere was second to none and quite honestly with the cards in the stands and there performance the night before put an extreme amount of pressure on the Bears to not only perform but perform at a level that would leave us keyboard cowboys in awwww. I don't think the Bears would have let this game get to ugly anyway considering the young man across the way in his first game. it was not only a big moment for the hounds family but also for the bear family as well. That's not taking anything away from the hounds either as they were vastly improved. The cards are senior laden but how much game experience does these seniors have ? I Don't know That's why I ask? All I ever hear is Boaz. i Think we see a great game on Friday . I gonna stick with the 3 point prediction with the Bears winning. Remember , Starmount isn't to East Surry what the Hounds and coach smith are to Mt Airy so I wouldn't use last night as a measuring stick. for the Bears -- Just saying

I think it will be a shoot out. High scoring game. Took MA a while to settle down but they got burnt on that inside misdirection from NS. Lots of penalties were on kickoffs trying to place the kick. At least 6-7 penalties for out of bounds. Kid can kick the ball, let him. Question. Two years ago MA had like 20 sophomore on team, this year only 8 seniors, why are they not sticking around. We are young every year but luckily have lots of young talent. Was encouraged by the play of the freshman lineman last night. Great attitude. Got chop blocked in 4th qrtr and after a few minutes jumped up and jogged off the field with a few choice words for his opponents. Lot of fire in that young man.

I appreciate all of the excellent comments from each of you. We all see the game a little different and it is good to hear other points of view. I will say this, if Reed plays full strength and we can somehow reduce the number of stupid flags that call back plays to 3 or 4 or 5, then this coming game could be a really really good game.
But we can not give East the type of advantages that we gave North.

JD needs to keep saying all week during practice we don't want to give the game away doing what we did with Mitchell and be our own worst enemy ! ! Show the team some of the game against Mitchell to see how out of control they were, Last Qtr will do.....
Play smart and get us a win against East Surry ! ! ! GO BEARS 🐻🐻 🏈 🐻‍❄️ ! ! !

Last edited:
I am going to do the unforgivable. Cardinals by 14. Or 21. Or more.

Mt Airy's problems are there. Line is not championship caliber, yet. They are young, relative small and not yet skilled enough to stop Mr. Boaz.

And I have not mentioned conditioning. Cramps all over the place. Why? And we are "having" to put the quarterback at linebacker. We are just asking for problems. Maybe we have to, but it will cost us at some point.

Next, and perhaps worse, or more serious: How do you get to "disciplined" from enjoying shooting yourself in the foot with stupid flags? As good a coaching staff as I think Mt Airy has, they somehow have not gotten this level of needed discipline instilled in a group of very fast, very skilled younger players.

They were able to overcome it with North. Not against East Surry and its 21 Seniors. Unfortunately.
Mount Airy is known for cramps like Georgia Tech is known for chop blocks.

One question that I have not seen asked or addressed is: Was East that good? or was Starmount that Bad?
I would really like for anyone that actually saw that game to describe what you saw.

I was at Lenoir Rhyne's Annual Football Season kickoff dinner and New Stadium Ribbon Cutting.

One thing different is that neither team has a whole season of film to go over to game plan for each other. The opportunity to throw something unexpected out there. Usually this was the last game of the regular season for years. It'll be on MY48 for those that can't make it.

Go Big Red
#27Forever

The past couple of games have featured explosive athletes for both teams. The difference, to me, has been ES has been more physical on both lines and has won the "game in the trenches". Whichever team controls the line, will take this one.

If you'll go to a game this year and let me know when I'll come down with a pal or two and go with you let me know when
I sure will let you know if I go to one. I would love to go Friday night but I don't to fight that crowd. It will be standing room only, playing East Surry for the first time since 2020. MA has Starmount at home on 9/30/2022 I may try and make that game. I have a feeling Mount Airy & Mitchell will meet again this year. I may be wrong but if so I may come this time but a loss to East Surry could affect that happening.

Last edited:
Game's going to come down to who gets the advantage on the line pretty much.

Skill player wise it's about even. East is a little more experienced but MA has more athletes. East has had MA's number in the trenches the last few times they have played. Until that changes it will be the same. But even in the worst case I expect this one to be close. I do hate we couldn't have seen these two last year; with that defense MA woulda been a great foe for the Cards with all those seniors.

Both teams need the battle testing. MA got a good dose of it on Friday and will get some more. East meanwhile sleptwalked through Starmount. Lowman needs to do a good coaching job or he may be caught sleeping. He hasn't had that happen much since being in Pilot but he absolutely struggled at Bandys when he was there with surprise loses and overcoming it. If he ever does lose a game like this I'm curious to see how he handles it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT