ADVERTISEMENT

East Surry @ East Wilkes

EWCards#1

Aug 19, 2004
Ronda NC
Battle of the Cardinals is here again. I miss when these two schools were both in the same conference together. Man, those were the good old days! Whats everyones thoughts on this game as ES is definitely playing better ball and have improved tremendously since week 1. As for EW things started looking different at the Ashe County game, a week later they completely fell of the map on defense and was missing a few players to injuries. Will Reid make a difference with his return to the lineup? How will EW defense perform after having a week off for adjustments? Whats everyones thoughts on this game?

EW will come out on fire..refocused..with defensive personnel moved around and may be too much for East Surry again at home in Ronda. If the East Wilkes team shows up with the focus and intensity as they did against Starmount..N.Wilkes..W.Wilkes..then East Surry will have their hands Completely full. However, if the Cards that blew a 25 pt lead to the Elks and got man handled at the hands of conference champ Wilkes Central shows up..then it could be a long night for the Ronda Redbirds!!

Big second round game not sure what to think of East Wilkes now . I’m saying east will win lol

East Wilkes is going to be fine. I don't think East Surry presents the matchup issues Elkin and Wilkes Central did. I don't think East Surry will present those matchup issues to East Wilkes.

Game our guys wanted. We're not the same team that played the first game of the season. EW will get the best shot we have all night long. No quit in our men. Looking forward to Friday night already.

Go Big Red!!!

I'm sure to be honest EW would have rather played Starmount. Simply put EW really and truly had their way in every facet of that game. East Surry provided more resistance. EW has improved as well. I know with the two losses ending the regular season..everyone thinks EW has went backwards. Coach JK is a phenomenal coach. If E.W is clicking..I look for them to run all over East Surry and to let them know to be careful as to what you wish for.

So y'all wouldn't want another shot at Elkin or WC? I can't speak for everyone in Pilot Mtn but personally I would love to see us play everyone that beat us again this season. Not gonna happen with a couple teams but we're lucky enough to get another shot at y'all. Y'all may whip our tails but we will never give up or back down. Come on Friday!!

Yeah. We would want another shot fully staffed. You're right. I'm sure ES is eager for the rematch. Probably more so than EW is. Everyone knows how hard it is to beat a team twice in one season. You guys have already accomplished it by beating the Rams. EW needs to be hungry, confident, and perform up to their capabilities. If they do that, they will be fine.

I believe we're going be just fine too, see ya Friday pal!!

I honestly wouldn't be shocked at all if the game went either way. I just feel that EW is the better team if both bring their A+ games. Add to the fact that EW is playing at home as well. Hopefully that will be a big advantage. ES offense and defense, Im sure has really improved since Mid August. Kind of seemed we were really able to wear ES down in the second half. Definitely saw ES had Mt.Airy on the ropes. Also, saw them struggle to beat Starmount. Styles, always make fights, though.

Last edited:
We'll throw em out there together and may the best Cardinal win. Let me know where I can meet you over there, I'd love to say hello in person.

Ok my man. Sounds awesome. Good luck to yall. Tough tough match up for both Cards. Definitely nervous bout it!! LoL!!

As I mentioned above East Surry does not present the matchup problems Elkin and Wilkes Central did imo. Wilkes Central was a bad matchup for anyone in the MVAC. No one had the athletes on both sides of the ball they did added with the strength of both of their lines. They would be a matchup issue for anyone in the NWC, and yes would present issues for Mount Airy. I didn't see the game, but I think when looking at East Wilkes people are looking at the Wilkes Central game and using it against East Wilkes to pass too much of a negative light. Had East not of lost to Elkin the week before, I still don't think it would have impacted the Central game, but we wouldn't be having this conversation I don't think.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
I will say it again. The best Team East Surry fielded this season was the one at Ragsdale. That lineup has not been back on the field since that game. Im sure coach has his reasons , its not my place to second guess as i dont see what he sees from the sidelines or practice. So deff no disrespect intended. But if the east surry team i seen at ragsdale shows up they can play with anybody in the bracket. Trust me , you didnt see the best East Surry team the first game of the season and you deff didnt see them friday night against the rams. If Trevor Hauser lines up at qb friday night I see East Surry winning this game by two touchdowns , possibly more. If what i saw friday night shows up it will be basketball season in pilot mtn. Thats just my honest opinion

You didnt see the best Ew team that night in Pilot Mtn but it was good enough to win by more than 2tds. It seems everyone wants to say the same thing to justify losses" we aren't the same team then as we are now." All teams mature and make decisions that make them better as the season goes on. All of them. Even losses can make you better.

Some seem to think that EW beating ES in the beginning of the season was a fluke, when it absolutely was not. EW dominated ES all over the stat sheet and scoreboard. Not saying that it will happen this time, but it wasn't a fluke at all the first time. Anybody that watched the game knows it as well.

Reactions: ESOD
I seriously doubt #8 will play qb but I have been wrong before. I have enough confidence in the coaches that they'll put in whomever gives us the best chance to compete. I'm not going to be like a local grape farmer who voices his displeasure on every single play call made by coach. They know what is going on with the players better than any armchair qb/coach in the stands ever could. We'll see come Friday.

Go Big Red!!

How bout this blueprint, I will take the cards from pilot for a coca cola and moonpie , maybe a little crow to boot. What cha thank. Esod , no arm chair qb -- ing here, is what it is All i know there has been an awful lot of talent in pilot mtn in previous years and this year as well, a feeder program that is second to none. Will leave it at that. Just my opinion, not that it means alot and that anybody cares about it.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
Diamont does not like to pass the ball, but the pass is what hurts East Wilkes the most. If East Surry can keep Ronda honest on Defense they can win this game. East Wilkes has the advantage with their speed. I think East Surry may be more physical. I think this game is a toss up and expect a great crowd of Friday night. I hope for safety for both teams and a hard fought game. Much respect for the program in Pilot.

Tough matchup for both teams this early in the playoffs, but it will be tough sledding each week here on out.

have not seen EW so no comment...but ES will move people all over the field....EW will have to stay awake on that aspect

Hope it is a tight game. East Wilkes prevails in my opinion, by 2 TDs again. ES has a back that can break it open, but he can't do it if the D is sitting on run. I just hope the stars align and we can see an East Wilkes Mt Airy matchup in Rd 4. I don't want this class to be saying "we could have beaten Mt Airy" down the road. Until otherwise proven, the top of the NW1A is just better. Mt Airy is the best team around and I want to see east Wilkes get a shot at da bears.... and I have to agree with earlier posts, MA is much better than Wilkes Central...

Bears may be better coached than Wilkes Central, but talent wise they are not better.

Does anyone know if EW's running back will play Friday night?

Bears may be better coached than Wilkes Central, but talent wise they are not better.

Does anyone know if EW's running back will play Friday night?
Bears are better Coached and Talent then WC but we will never know because WC lost in 1st round ! :confused: Wake up that is like water under the bridge ! You have nothing to compare them to except the Bears are #1 in the west.....

Last edited:
Bears are better Coached and Talent then WC but we will never know because WC lost in 1st round ! :confused: Wake up that is like water under the bridge ! You have nothing to compare them to except the Bears are #1 in the west.....

They play in 2 different classifications. But you’re right we will never know. WC is as talented team as there is around here. Always loaded with size and speed. Once they build the culture back up there under Turner, watch out. Why don’t Mount Airy and Wilkes Central ever play? That would draw a lot of local interest.

They play in 2 different classifications. But you’re right we will never know. WC is as talented team as there is around here. Always loaded with size and speed. Once they build the culture back up there under Turner, watch out. Why don’t Mount Airy and Wilkes Central ever play? That would draw a lot of local interest.
That should be a game of the future. Mount Airy has one more year with 2A Morehead then they can play another team . Maybe 2AA Wilkes Central ?

Talent wise..Pure Raw talent....Doesn't always equal a win however, WC is more athletic top to bottom.

I don’t know. I’ve seen WC play for several seasons now and this is the least athletic WC team I’ve seen, still very athletic. Donovan Greene is the best athlete in the area.

they need to play; use to back in 70’s/80’s then could never get each other on their schedules

Last edited:
He has schools looking at him. His dad was also an All American Highschool wrestler and is now an MMA fighter..so he has the genes to be as athletic as anyone around.

Two diffrent positions , unfair to both of them to make comparisons, just sayin

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT