ADVERTISEMENT

East Rowan @ South Point

Originally posted by seadog28:
Watched with pride and admiration the mighty Red Raider Thanksgiving day practice yesterday. Our Red Raiders are ready!! Today is about one thing, survive and advance. Time to focus in and strike. Go Raiders!!!
Truly the measure of a good high school program is to be practicing on Thanksgiving Day with a chance to advance. Go get'em Red Raiders!

I know SP fans are probably cheering for their county brothers. But SP and Crest would be epic. So good luck tonight, I hope we get the chance next week for an awesome showdown.

Originally posted by crest91:
I know SP fans are probably cheering for their county brothers. But SP and Crest would be epic. So good luck tonight, I hope we get the chance next week for an awesome showdown.
Actually both expecting and hoping for a Crest win, but would love the chance to play either of these teams. Crest is by far and away the best team that we have played this year and certainly outclassed us in the first game. I am interested to see how far we have come. First order of business is an ER team that can score points. We need to worry about this one first. Go Raiders!

Originally posted by raidertime:

Originally posted by crest91:
Actually both expecting and hoping for a Crest win, but would love the chance to play either of these teams. Crest is by far and away the best team that we have played this year and certainly outclassed us in the first game. I am interested to see how far we have come. First order of business is an ER team that can score points. We need to worry about this one first. Go Raiders!
+1

Game is underway. East Rowan won the toss and deferred to the 2nd half. On the kickoff, the Mustangs attempted an onside kick which was recovered by SP near midfield. SP drew first blood on a 3 yd run by Etherton. PAT good.

SP 7 - ER 0

The Mustangs made the most of their 1st possession, successfully passing to get to the SP 3. A 3rd run by Wall puts the first points on the board for ER. PAT good. Game tied at 7 each with just under 7 minutes to go in the 1st quarter.

Barely any time had run off the clock before the Red Raiders torched the Mustangs with a 72 yd run by Muse. PAT good.
At this rate, the offenses on both teams will be worn out by halftime.

SP 14 - ER 7 - with just over 5 min left in the 1st qtr.

ER unable to gain much gain on their next possession and forced to punt. SP started on their own 12 but on the first play Pearsall able to break a tackle and advance the ball to the ER 24. At the end of the 1st qtr, SP threatening at the ER 2.

SP 14 - ER 7

ER continuing to pass and advance down the field, scoring on a 22 yd pass from Sam Wyrick to Seth Wyrick. PAT blocked.

SP 21 - ER 13 just over 9 min left in the 1st half.

SP started at their own 30 but a false start backed them up an additional 5 yds - 1st and 15. However, the Raiders were unable to get out of the hole and forced to punt. ER got great position at their own 46 and then passed to the SP 35. Another pass to the SP 22, pass to the SP 4, then a 5 yd run by Wall for the TD. ER goes for 2 but not able to convert.

SP 21 - ER 19 with 5:25 left in the 1st half.

SP went 3 and out on their next possession. ER started from their own 32. Second play pass moves the Mustangs to the SP 28. SP able to deflect a pass to bring up 3rd down. QB Wyrick forced out of bounds at the SP 25 to bring up 4th down. Mustangs opt to go for it but pass incomplete. Raiders get the ball on downs at the SP 25 with about 2 min to go in the half. A 2nd down pass to Washam incomplete brings up 3rd and 6. Brooks on the QB keeper takes it deep into ER territory. Penalty on ER puts the ball on the ER 9 - 1st and goal. SP then makes it 2nd and 6 but penalty on the Raiders moves it back 2nd and goal from the 11. Brooks to Wilson for the 11 yd TD pass. PAT good.

SP 28 - ER 19 with a minute to go in the 1st half.

ER started at their own 22, then to the ER 40. Several plays later ER gets to the SP 45 but a roughing the passer call on SP moves the ball to the SP 30. On 2nd and 10, QB Wyrick scrambled to the SP 11 before ER takes a timeout with 17 seconds remaining. Wyrick to Soles for 11 yd TD pass. ER again tried for 2 pt but failed to convert.

SP 28 - ER 25 with 11 seconds to go.

SP gets ball at their own 31. Brooks moves ball to the 46 before the half ends.

SP 28 - ER 25 HALF

2nd half begins with the Mustangs on their own 27 but a completed pass moves them to the ER 42. An incomplete pass, then a rush for loss brought up 3rd and 14. A short pass to the SP 47 for the 1st down. An incomplete pass on 2nd and 6 made it 3rd and 6. Pass complete but short by a yard. ER went for it on 4th down and got it on a QB keeper. False start on ER backs the ball up - 1st and 15. Short pass brings up 2nd and 11. Wyrick sacked by Loucks for the 1st time in the game brought up 3rd down. Pass incomplete made it 4th and 14. Mustangs decide to go for it but the Raiders got the stop and even moved the Mustangs back. Raiders took over on down at the SP 42.

Run by QB Brooks on 2nd down moved the Raiders to the ER 39 for the 1st down. On 2nd and 10 Brooks connected with Muse to the ER 15. Penalty on next play (holding) moved the ball back to the ER 25 - 1st and 20. Pass to Washam incomplete - 2nd and 20. Pitch to Pearsall results in a 25 yd TD run. PAT good.

SP 35 - ER 25 - 6+ min left in the 3rd.

ER started at their own 30. Pass complete but only for 2 yds. Next pass to the ER 44. Only able to get short plays but a 3rd and 5 but Mustangs able to get the 1st down to the SP 38. Penalty (illegal forward pass) on ER for loss of down - 3rd and 8, then on 4th and 2, the Mustangs go for it for the 1st down at the SP 26. Handoff to Wall who got to the SP 1 before going out of bounds. QB keeper 1 yd TD run. PAT good. First XPs for ER this game.

SP 35 - ER 32 - just under 3 min left in 3rd qtr

SP started their next possession on the SP 21 but forced to punt. ER fumbled the ball out of bounds; ball on the SP 48. ER struggled on this possession and brought up 4th and 5. Penalty on Mustangs on the punt backed them up another 5. However, the next attempt put the Raiders at their own 1. Etherton rushed to the SP 9 to end the qtr.

SP 35 - ER 32 end of 3rd qtr

Etherton converted on 3rd down to move the ball to the SP 15. Pitch to Muse to the ER 48. Brooks gain for 4 yds and then another 6 yds from Etherton for the 1st down at the ER 38. A nice pick up of 7 yds by Etherton to the ER 31. Etherton carried again but just short of the 1st down to bring up 3rd down. Mustangs hold to bring up 4th. Pitch to Muse for the 1st down but fumble recovered by ER at the ER 27. SP not allowing ER much; injury TO for SP player. On 3rd and 8th for the Mustangs, Starr intercepts the ball for the Raiders at the ER 32. Raiders ground it out to the ER 21 with just under 6 min left in the house. Muse to the ER 12 - 2nd and 1 but false start on Raiders backs it up to the ER 17 - 2nd and 6. Pitch to Washam for the 18 yd TD. PAT good. Fourth quarter has been a dog fight as both sides have struggled to score.

SP 42 - ER 32 with 4:38 left in the game

Ball kicked into the endzone, Mustangs starting from the ER 20. Still fighting, ER pass to the SP 37, Seth Wyrick runs out of bounds. However, the Raiders defense makes it 3rd and 10. Pass complete but short. ER goes for it on 4th and 2 and gets to the SP 15. Another 3rd and 10 after two incomplete passes. Another incomplete pass brought up 4th and 10 - ER timeout witn just over 3 min to play. ER going for it. However, Sam Wyrick sacked for 2nd time, this time by Hayes.

Raiders took over on downs at the SP 31. Etherton to midfield. Washam to the ER 44 - 2 min to go. Etherton for the 1st down at the ER 40. ER took its last time out and SP trying to put this game away, grinding it out on the field. SP to the ER 22 on run by Washam. Brooks take a knee on 3rd and 2 play with 30 seconds to play. Game is over

SP 42 - ER 32

Excellent game! East had their opportunities to take this one but that is football. It was beneficial to SP that the refs obviously had no clue what pass interference, defensive holding or an illegal chop block looks like. One East player with a blown out knee and not a flag in site on an obvious CHOP BLOCK! 3 pass interference calls and not a flag in site! Defensive holding too many times to count and not a flag in site! Home field means a great deal! And there was only 1 D1 QB on that field tonight and he does not play for SP!

good game. That was a good block. Sorry for the kid getting hurt but nothing was wrong with that block

You are an idiot for even defending that block as clean! On the back side of the play and totally uncalled for. I suppose their parents can send you or 52s parents the bill! It hey should be totally outlawed and the coaching staff should be ashamed for teaching it!

This post was edited on 11/29 12:32 AM by Mustanglifer

It was a good high school game. News flash, there were no, nada, not any...... D1 QB's on the field tonight and the only legit D1 talent was 33 for South Point. I am not sure either QB could play D2, just saying.

Originally posted by Mustanglifer:
You are an idiot as well and 33 will not make it at Clemson!
Sore loser. Enjoy basketball season
roll.r191677.gif

Mustang maybe the player shouldn't play ball. It's a risk every time you step on the field no matter the position. Nobody wants to see anyone get hurt. But the block is legal and it doesn't matter weather it was on the back side or not. If they didn't teach them to block the back side and to take the play off then that would be a problem. But I wouldn't expect a candy@ss such as your self to understand a cut block anyways. Your the type to blame your @ss whipping on "he hit me too hard".

Lets leave the ideas that refs decided the game out of the conversation. Anyone who knows football knows that a team that ran 74 plays and had two 5 yard offensive penalties was not targeted by the refs. Talk about ER. That was truly as good a 15 seed team that I have seen in years of watching HS football. Their inconsistency this season is likely the result of the break neck speed that they play at (Larry Fedora style or faster). On days when the QB is on, they will be very tough. If he is slightly off, then they could be in trouble. Quickest release that I have seen in a long time and his accuracy and zip on the ball was difficult to defend. SP made adjustments at half time that made him have to move in the pocket and the precision went down significantly. The ER defense was unable to stop the Raiders running game, but they played hard and never quit or hung their heads. Overall, ER appeared to be a very well-coached, disciplined team and have a lot to be proud of.

+1 Raidertime. SP found just enough defense at the most critical times to pull this game out. ER has a great team and showed far more than any #15 seed. They are nearly impossible to defend (especially with our style of defense), but in the end, one interception and one QB sack was the difference in the game. That was a real high school playoff shootout. If you didn't get your $7 worth, you are not a football fan.

On another note, I wish that the Gaston Gazette would get serious about covering HS football. My best information on this game before and after came from the Salisbury Post. The Wyrick kid threw 53 times for 34 completions and 376 yards. He was 21-26 for 241 in the first half. SP ran for 544 yards with 3 kids over 100 yards and TD's from 5 different players. Nice article on the Wyrick twins as the QB set the all time county passing record for a season and the receiver set the all time single season receiving record. Not sure what the college plans are, but these boys will be playing football somewhere next year.

What a football game, 2 great teams going at it right to the end, about 3 plays were the difference. The refs let them play, were they perfect, NO, but they were non calls that went in both teams favor, so the refs were not a factor. Love it or hate it cut blocks are part of football and are 100% legal between the tackles. Good luck to SP next week and fellow Mustang fans please dont make us look like bad sports by whining

Originally posted by Frinitehero:
What a football game, 2 great teams going at it right to the end, about 3 plays were the difference. The refs let them play, were they perfect, NO, but they were non calls that went in both teams favor, so the refs were not a factor. Love it or hate it cut blocks are part of football and are 100% legal between the tackles. Good luck to SP next week and fellow Mustang fans please dont make us look like bad sports by whining
Impressive kids...offense was very fun to watch.

Originally posted by raidertime:
Lets leave the ideas that refs decided the game out of the conversation. Anyone who knows football knows that a team that ran 74 plays and had two 5 yard offensive penalties was not targeted by the refs. Talk about ER. That was truly as good a 15 seed team that I have seen in years of watching HS football. Their inconsistency this season is likely the result of the break neck speed that they play at (Larry Fedora style or faster). On days when the QB is on, they will be very tough. If he is slightly off, then they could be in trouble. Quickest release that I have seen in a long time and his accuracy and zip on the ball was difficult to defend. SP made adjustments at half time that made him have to move in the pocket and the precision went down significantly. The ER defense was unable to stop the Raiders running game, but they played hard and never quit or hung their heads. Overall, ER appeared to be a very well-coached, disciplined team and have a lot to be proud of.
Any time that the Red Raiders can go up against a team that passes that well and come out with the win is BIG. It is one thing to defeat a team whose offense plays to our strengths but totally different to win over a team whose offense can exploit our weakness. If ER had had a strong run defense combined with that offense, the results last night would have been quite different.

Mustang, I was not there and did not see the block. If the blocker was a lineman within the tackle box and it was one continuous movement from stance to block it was legal. If it was a two part block (in other words the blocker steps out and then dips into the second part of the block) it is an illegal block.

Originally posted by No.1RamsFan:
Mustang, I was not there and did not see the block. If the blocker was a lineman within the tackle box and it was one continuous movement from stance to block it was legal. If it was a two part block (in other words the blocker steps out and then dips into the second part of the block) it is an illegal block.
He wouldn't know even if it was dirty it was on the opposite side of the field from the ER fans. He is just reacting to the coach who acted like an idiot who most likely didn't see it either considering he's at field level and it was opposite from him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT