ADVERTISEMENT

East don't matter?

You don’t ever see me make predictions, but I will go ahead and say whether Cardinal Gibbons or Hoggard make it to the championship game, either will be legitimate contenders. As this thread is entitled, there are some posters here that want to believe the western regional final is the state championship. If I’m not mistaken, Portcity posted the results from the last 10 -12 years. The results are not one-sided.

• Haha
Reactions: New3ra
We never heard who had the best offense in the state. Neither Grimsley or Rolesville remain. So who’s got the best offense in the state?
For the course of the season, both have been very strong. Dudley has been pretty prolific as has Clinton and Mr. Airy if you want to rate by class.

Who is your nominee(s)?

For the course of the season, both have been very strong. Dudley has been pretty prolific as has Clinton and Mr. Airy if you want to rate by class.

Who is your nominee(s)?
All good nominees. Grimsley & Rolesville are very talented as well. You seemed to have a specific team in mind when you made the post. I’ve just been waiting to hear who had the best offense in the state.

All good nominees. Grimsley & Rolesville are very talented as well. You seemed to have a specific team in mind when you made the post. I’ve just been waiting to hear who had the best offense in the state.
I thought it was Grimsley until last night. Rolesville was prolific and was making the claim. My comment was based upon Grimsley 63-34 victory in week 2.

Reactions: FB fan 92
I believe that the East does matters. I see a change in schemes and in the past you would see more run teams from the east vs the west however the difference is in the match ups. I always say styles make fights. I also believe this late in the year you can not throw your way into a state title. I have not seen on QB yet just completely just break defenses down but the QB from Weddington and Dudley but even to that being said they have a strong enough run game to keep it balanced. Cardinal Gibbons is private which means that will be almost a carbon copy of Weddington. I have not seen Hoggard so I can not comment on them. I will say if CG make it to the title game, they will pull the upset. As far as the 1A I got Tarboro beating Mount Airy in a rematch. Dudley whoever they play good luck! I think we will get 2 champions from the East. No one thought Reidsville was going to lose last year...LOL! I did.

The real issue is how kids are able to move around to schools. Charlotte has built some powerhouses over the years and we have seen kids from all over the country move into the area to play for certain programs. Once Meck Co implemented stricter policies things began to even out there. There is still tons of talent in Charlotte but we just haven’t seen the powerhouses like before. From what I have read we are seeing easy acces to a couple of great programs in The Greensboro area and just like in Charlotte you start getting all star teams. It appears Raleigh has not allowed that over the years. WF had a nice run but thats about it. CG is good every year and they are private and it is not the same as public schools. I know there will be some posters disagree about that but CG has over 100 state championships since 2000. I would like to know what public school has the most since then. NH Co has been very strict about kids transferring except to NH. NH is the smallest of the 4 Wilmington schools and they have allowed anyone to go there. NH won it all in 3AA in 2017 and had at least 6 starters that lived in Laney district. I know dozens of parents who tried to get their kids in at Hoggard and were denied. NH Co has not let you transfer to Hoggard if they think it is for athletics.
My point is, the West has talent, the East has talent. All star teams will usually beat regular teams.

Cardinal ain't beating the mean green
They match up! They scheme as good as anyone.
The real issue is how kids are able to move around to schools. Charlotte has built some powerhouses over the years and we have seen kids from all over the country move into the area to play for certain programs. Once Meck Co implemented stricter policies things began to even out there. There is still tons of talent in Charlotte but we just haven’t seen the powerhouses like before. From what I have read we are seeing easy acces to a couple of great programs in The Greensboro area and just like in Charlotte you start getting all star teams. It appears Raleigh has not allowed that over the years. WF had a nice run but thats about it. CG is good every year and they are private and it is not the same as public schools. I know there will be some posters disagree about that but CG has over 100 state championships since 2000. I would like to know what public school has the most since then. NH Co has been very strict about kids transferring except to NH. NH is the smallest of the 4 Wilmington schools and they have allowed anyone to go there. NH won it all in 3AA in 2017 and had at least 6 starters that lived in Laney district. I know dozens of parents who tried to get their kids in at Hoggard and were denied. NH Co has not let you transfer to Hoggard if they think it is for athletics.
My point is, the West has talent, the East has talent. All star teams will usually beat regular teams.
You made some interesting facts and just to piggy bank off of that. first of all football has evolved so much and when you look at the different programs I believe that the pay of coaches and teachers also has a lot to do with it too. Wake County actually pays the most for teacher's but the difference in the school systems is the equality that they have invested in for education. when you look at the West and best programs there has a lot of demographic clashes that no one talks about. I commend wake Co. for what they do for the student's. Football could be good but it just takes someone who is willing to beat the bushes and stick it out. Millbrook has always had great teams but could never get over hump. Garner also but then they built South Garner that took a lot from them as well. Enloe has almost 3 thousand students but once again when we talk about the appeal and the right person for these jobs, they can't just hire anyone off the streets. I think of the east as the AFC but they have never had a lot schematically that makes me say that they side will be the best side. So, I said all of this to say that the west is really putting their schemes together better than the East. New Bern's team from last year comes around once every 5 years. I will say that the districts are at fault for the stack teams we see from the west but I am also a firm believer that the football Gods won't let you win it even if you have everyone eases players too. Ask Grimsley...

Then there’s Forsyth county who has open enrollment so it’s hard to get bothered by transfers elsewhere

Reactions: btango
Then there’s Forsyth county who has open enrollment so it’s hard to get bothered by transfers elsewhere
Even with talent the window of opportunity will always close and open for someone else. East Forsyth had its time and so did Grimsley. Kids will then flock somewhere else.

Reactions: mrhonda
Even with talent the window of opportunity will always close and open for someone else. East Forsyth had its time and so did Grimsley. Kids will then flock somewhere else.
This is a national situation. It happens all over, kids moving for the best opportunity. For these kids, it's not about education. Heck for most school boards it's not about education anymore. Then this transfers up into the college ranks. Just take a look at the transfer portal and NIL money.

I will say for this season, it would be better for Hoggard or Cardinal Gibbons if Independence is the west representative rather than Weddington.

This is a national situation. It happens all over, kids moving for the best opportunity. For these kids, it's not about education. Heck for most school boards it's not about education anymore. Then this transfers up into the college ranks. Just take a look at the transfer portal and NIL money.
Funny, I coach at a D2 school and NIL money is not what you think where as their is a school in my area that every player is getting 25k and D2 is having to work with financial aid grants and give player's their housing but if we recruit a kid that same D1 school is able to take that kid and they will leave to be a back-up player their and be fine. In the South especially in NC this NIL is a big scam to keep smaller schools from really being good and even when you coach up a kid they are still able to take them away. As far as school boards they are getting some kind of kick back from turning their heads. Allow the transfers to do what they want and in return they are getting votes and sponsorships. That is why I love the small schools in high school because the game is pure and you don't have to worry about copying what some else is doing on Saturday's to get attention. Just good old fashion my scheme against yours.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogs79 and mrhonda
OK name another team in the East, ready go. Ok Ok maybe Cardinal Gibbons The west has
Grimsley
Indy
Butler
Hough
Weddington
All who could win the east. As good as Rolesville is who really else is out here?????
Look at it like this SK they have to knock each other out. When MT beat Cleveland, I thought Cleveland had the better team but they lost the best RB...LOL! I always stay healthy and anything can happen. For me, The East don't get a chance to load up like the West but with that being said if you look at Clinton and their amazing season the coaching staff did a great job updating their offense now is it great we won't know but I will say this about the West, if you can run at them you have a chance. The East just don't but enough in the other phases of the passing game and the West does.

There aren’t many things in life that has has not been corrupted by money. I think thats why I love HS sports so much. Kids playing for the love of the game. HS coaches coaching for the love of the game. College FB is on the road to no where. It may find a place but it will never be life it was. It will eventually make its way deeper into HS sports and then it will be ruined. I guess I will have to pick up middle school sports at that point.

Reactions: dogs79
Portcity best of luck against the private school Friday.... I might make the trip. Ive never been to Hoggard before. Best place to eat around there?

Portcity best of luck against the private school Friday.... I might make the trip. Ive never been to Hoggard before. Best place to eat around there?
Thanks, we will need it. We are expecting a sell out so go ahead and get your tickets. We have done a lot to enhance the pre game and in game hype. Let me know what you think!

Reactions: FootballThanos2023
A sellout? Has games ever sold out
New County AD has come in and putting his stamp on athletics. Big safety concern with huge crowds and making sure appearances are kept up. Last home playoff game against in town Laney patrons were turned around at the gate if they had not previously purchased a ticket online. County AD stood at the gate and basically drawing a line. Can’t believe it today’s world that safety and crowds are such a concern that school administrators are turning down money at playoff prices. Tickets are only available online so they are a first come first serve.

Reactions: KW23
Bummer...id bet that AD would hate some of these crowded 1a games lol

New County AD has come in and putting his stamp on athletics. Big safety concern with huge crowds and making sure appearances are kept up. Last home playoff game against in town Laney patrons were turned around at the gate if they had not previously purchased a ticket online. County AD stood at the gate and basically drawing a line. Can’t believe it today’s world that safety and crowds are such a concern that school administrators are turning down money at playoff prices. Tickets are only available online so they are a first come first serve.
That is correct. they are also restricting media passes. The attendance for the Laney game was a 1000 less than when Hoggard played NH in 2017 and both teams were undefeated. I am all for safety but not sure 5000 people cause much more trouble than 4000 people. If you bring in law enforcement and they move around it is fine.

4-0. I still wished they did away with the East- West format. Western Teams are just better. Not an opinion just FACTS
Most eastern teams still run their offenses like it’s 2003. I have no idea why that’s the case, but they just haven’t evolved to modern football like the west. Cities like Fayetteville have tons of talent, but the way their teams are run leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
Scottie Braswell is the DC. He is Scott Braswells son.
Knotts’ previous DC is the HC at White Knoll. Dutch Fork gave WK their only loss of the season in the state title game Ave ging the three point regular season loss. Expect DF to be very strong next season.

That is correct. they are also restricting media passes. The attendance for the Laney game was a 1000 less than when Hoggard played NH in 2017 and both teams were undefeated. I am all for safety but not sure 5000 people cause much more trouble than 4000 people. If you bring in law enforcement and they move around it is fine.
Did the county turn away people that had purchased a ticket on line? If so, did they reimburse them the purchase price? Regardless, someone totally screwed up.

Most eastern teams still run their offenses like it’s 2003. I have no idea why that’s the case, but they just haven’t evolved to modern football like the west. Cities like Fayetteville have tons of talent, but the way their teams are run leaves a lot to be desired.
I think Tom Knotts had a lot to do with opening up the passing game, and adding more deception in the offense. Before Knotts there had been a lot of 2 runs in the middle, an incomplete pass, and a punt; and some of that still goes on today. One other person who comes to mind is somebody most of the people on this site have never heard of, and that's Gus Purcell from Myers Park from the 1960's. He produced some serious offenses and several hot college QB's, and he was brought up in Scotland County, but I don't know if he ever coached there. I guess New Bern proved you can have a strong running offense last year, but we still don't know if it can be done with legal players. (Not a shot at anybody, just what seems to be the truth).

Here is what my friend Mike Propst said when I moved to Raleigh. A lot of places in the East still stuck in 1985. The reason is not too many people will move to a lot of places between Raleigh and wilmington . I have coached in both the East and the west and you see A lot more wing t and triple option out here than back west. Raleigh your biggest country out here really could care less about high school athletics. Where Charlotte Winston and Greensboro does .. Lastly the Sandhills conference is not what it once was so there is no dominant team there anymore when back in the 1990’s you had several.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT