ADVERTISEMENT

East Carteret

East is playing in the Myrtle Beach Classic this week-end. They are the only 1-A school to get invited. They are by far the smallest team there. There's one team there from Las Vegas with six kids 6-9 and taller.
East opens against Spring Valley, a 4-A team from Columbia SC. They have a 6-6 kid who has signed with USC. It will be interesting to see how they stack up against these teams. They won't see this team size in 1-A this year.

Win or lose, these events are great for 1A teams like EC. It gives them a great chance to find out where they're really at and what they need to work on, opportunities they wouldn't normally get beating up on league and area teams.

Prep's boys and Bishop's girls are pretty legendary for their willingness to take their lumps in events like that.

Originally posted by Dave2kMA:
Win or lose, these events are great for 1A teams like EC. It gives them a great chance to find out where they're really at and what they need to work on, opportunities they wouldn't normally get beating up on league and area teams.

Prep's boys and Bishop's girls are pretty legendary for their willingness to take their lumps in events like that.
It did scar up another chance for an undefeated season, but I hope in the long run it will be worth the experience for the kids. I attended both games and really felt we should have won both games over the 4A powers from SC and Ohio . We let the team from Ohio (Northland) back in the game after we jumped out to a 13 point lead early in the first half. We had a 5 point lead on them with a little over a minute to go but their twin towers got back to back old fashioned three point plays to put us away. Against 4A Spring Creek ( Columbia SC ) we were down by 11 and clawed our way back into it , tied it up late only to lose by three. Great high school basketball action but in typical 1A fashion we were one big man short of victory.

Originally posted by kingbluedevil:

It should help when you guys face WS prep with all their 6' 7 and 6'8 guys. good luck
Well we've got 6'10 Bam Bam Adebayou coming up next Monday and we have to get by them a minimum of 3 times before we can worry about the WS Prep All Stars or anyone else for that matter . At least when playing Northside and other real
1 A teams you know the opponents are not a stacked up recruited basketball team.

WS Prep has one player who is 6'7", none who are 6'8"... Another factually incorrect post....how surprising

and 8 players 5-11 or shorter...by chance have you even seen them play this year....didn't think so.

My bad, two 6-3's two 6-4's one 6-6 one 6-7 on 16 player 1A roster. Thanks for the catch
That's a big roster for a 1A team. How does a high school with only 400 students field a team with two 6 ' 3 " players , two
6 '4" players and a 6 ' 6 " and a 6 ' 7 " player ? The only teams I've ever seen with that type of height are 3A and 4A teams and even those are few and far between .

Originally posted by PirateDad17:

My bad, two 6-3's two 6-4's one 6-6 one 6-7 on 16 player 1A roster. Thanks for the catch
That's a big roster for a 1A team. How does a high school with only 400 students field a team with two 6 ' 3 " players , two
6 '4" players and a 6 ' 6 " and a 6 ' 7 " player ? The only teams I've ever seen with that type of height are 3A and 4A teams and even those are few and far between .

I have seen plenty of true 1A teams that size.

Rosman's 05 team had an entire starting 5 of guys between 6-4 and 6-6. See the link for Hayesville's 04 state title roster. 2 6-3's, 2 6-4's, a 6-6 and a 6-7, just like this year's WSP team. And that Hayesville team wasn't even the Jackets' biggest team in the 2000's...their 07 team was bigger than that. I don't think anyone would argue that Hayesville or Rosman are not "true 1A" schools. Cherryville also has had a few teams with that kind of size, particularly their 04 team with 6-4 Kenny Harris playing point guard. Swain's 03 team started two 6-7 kids and a 6-4 kid, if I remember correctly. Murphy's 2010 team didn't have anybody 6-7, but they had 5 or 6 guys in the 6-4/6-5 range. Thomasville's 07 team had a 6-6 center with two 6-4 forwards and another 6-6 kid off the bench.

I don't like it when people say "they can't be 1A because they have so much size," of "they aren't a real 1A because they have Division I players," because that advances the preconception that 1A basketball is low quality, when it isn't. Before WSP came on the scene--and since--there have been tall teams and Division I prospects in 1A basketball. The real issue is that talent and height comes in waves for most 1A schools, but WSP, which is in an open enrollment district and takes in a lot of transfers, seems to have that kind of size and talent every year somehow.
This post was edited on 1/3 3:50 PM by ObserveAndReport

2 6-3's, 2 6-4's, a 6-6 and a 6-7

Originally posted by ObserveAndReport:

Rosman's 05 team had an entire starting 5 of guys between 6-4 and 6-6. See the link for Hayesville's 04 state title roster. 2 6-3's, 2 6-4's, a 6-6 and a 6-7, just like this year's WSP team. And that Hayesville team wasn't even the Jackets' biggest team in the 2000's...their 07 team was bigger than that. I don't think anyone would argue that Hayesville or Rosman are not "true 1A" schools. Cherryville also has had a few teams with that kind of size, particularly their 04 team with 6-4 Kenny Harris playing point guard. Swain's 03 team started two 6-7 kids and a 6-4 kid, if I remember correctly. Murphy's 2010 team didn't have anybody 6-7, but they had 5 or 6 guys in the 6-4/6-5 range. Thomasville's 07 team had a 6-6 center with two 6-4 forwards and another 6-6 kid off the bench.

I don't like it when people say "they can't be 1A because they have so much size," of "they aren't a real 1A because they have Division I players," because that advances the preconception that 1A basketball is low quality, when it isn't. Before WSP came on the scene--and since--there have been tall teams and Division I prospects in 1A basketball. The real issue is that talent and height comes in waves for most 1A schools, but WSP, which is in an open enrollment district and takes in a lot of transfers, seems to have that kind of size and talent every year somehow.

Awesome, teams from 10 to 11 years ago. My point exactly . Didn't say it was impossible, just said I never saw it from a traditional school in 1 A .

Awesome, teams from 10 to 11 years ago. My point exactly . Didn't say it was impossible, just said I never saw it from a traditional school in 1 A .
I went with those years because those were the years when I got to see the most teams, but for a newer reference of a traditional 1A with a huge roster check out last year's Plymouth roster. 10 players over 6 ft...two 6-3, a 6-4, a 6-5, and a 6-6.

Didn't mean to offend, I just always defend against the notion that a lot of people have that 1A is some sort of 6-0 and under league like you'd find at your local Y. I think players and teams from 1A ball don't get proper respect, and that the idea is one of the reasons why. Personally, though, I believe good guard play ultimately is a bigger factor in winning games than size. East Carteret is a testament to that, and I'm happy for them.

I do think we agree on the ultimate point that every year WSP seems to field a team with what would be once in a generation talent for traditional 1A schools, which is frustrating to schools that do have a zone, are in rural areas, and don't have division one prospects moving to town and enrolling over the summer fairly often.

2013-14 plymouth

I went with those years because those were the years when I got to see the most teams, but for a newer reference of a traditional 1A with a huge roster check out last year's Plymouth roster. 10 players over 6 ft...two 6-3, a 6-4, a 6-5, and a 6-6.

Didn't mean to offend, I just always defend against the notion that a lot of people have that 1A is some sort of 6-0 and under league like you'd find at your local Y. I think players and teams from 1A ball don't get proper respect, and that the idea is one of the reasons why. Personally, though, I believe good guard play ultimately is a bigger factor in winning games than size. East Carteret is a testament to that, and I'm happy for them.

I do think we agree on the ultimate point that every year WSP seems to field a team with what would be once in a generation talent for traditional 1A schools, which is frustrating to schools that do have a zone, are in rural areas, and don't have division one prospects moving to town and enrolling over the summer fairly often.
No offense taken, mine was a poor attempt at sarcasm and we do agree there . It seems supporters of the notion that it is fair to allow certain programs to compete in 1A while abiding by different residency rules prefer that the disparity not be recognized. It seems to fall on deaf ears at the rule making level . Talent at the 1A level does come in waves and that is what makes 1A so fun to watch. After our current roster graduates the majority of scoring this season we will be back in build and wait mode while programs that offer benefits that others in 1A can not , continue to microwave championships with an unfair advantage.

Guys there is not a fan anywhere that could agree with you more than I do. After years of hard work and struggles, that perfect storm did hit at Alleghany. And I can assure everyone that the storm hit the right way. We start 6'3 6'4 6'5 across the front line and have good guards. It is a very special time for our school because years of hard work has finally manifested itself into what I think is the best team the school ever had. Don't get me wrong, I do not think that it is impossible for us to beat the preps of the world when the time comes, but why should we have to. Why should a rural farming/retirement community with 10000 residents that consistently produces around 425 students at our high school, have to compete against these schools. I am not just talking about prep. Another poster on here one time used the term advantaged vs disadvantaged schools. If our kids lost to a school that got their kids the same way we do, I would never have a word to say other than congratulations. But I cannot appreciate a school that gets their kids by ANY other means being called a 1A school or a champion. I think it is a shame and absolutely wrong. I know there are the weak excuses that people use for why it is this way, but they are just that excuses, and do not change the fact that it is wrong. It just makes you sick for schools that get their kids from their community, to have their opportunities for a championship made more difficult, or even prevented by advantaged schools. I got to see real 1A basketball for what it really was in a regional semifinal game in Greensboro last year. Two small rural schools from the mountains, Alleghany and Avery literally brought enough fans from 2 and 3 hours away to fill the coliseum. That is what 1a athletics is about. It is about small communities having a team that is theirs that they can be proud of. Do you think all of Forsyth county felt the same way when prep played in the game after us and brought 100 fans to support them.

Sorry for the rant guys, but I feel your pain. It just gets really tiring to even think about it.

Originally posted by Alleghany84:

Guys there is not a fan anywhere that could agree with you more than I do. After years of hard work and struggles, that perfect storm did hit at Alleghany. And I can assure everyone that the storm hit the right way. We start 6'3 6'4 6'5 across the front line and have good guards. It is a very special time for our school because years of hard work has finally manifested itself into what I think is the best team the school ever had. Don't get me wrong, I do not think that it is impossible for us to beat the preps of the world when the time comes, but why should we have to. Why should a rural farming/retirement community with 10000 residents that consistently produces around 425 students at our high school, have to compete against these schools. I am not just talking about prep. Another poster on here one time used the term advantaged vs disadvantaged schools. If our kids lost to a school that got their kids the same way we do, I would never have a word to say other than congratulations. But I cannot appreciate a school that gets their kids by ANY other means being called a 1A school or a champion. I think it is a shame and absolutely wrong. I know there are the weak excuses that people use for why it is this way, but they are just that excuses, and do not change the fact that it is wrong. It just makes you sick for schools that get their kids from their community, to have their opportunities for a championship made more difficult, or even prevented by advantaged schools. I got to see real 1A basketball for what it really was in a regional semifinal game in Greensboro last year. Two small rural schools from the mountains, Alleghany and Avery literally brought enough fans from 2 and 3 hours away to fill the coliseum. That is what 1a athletics is about. It is about small communities having a team that is theirs that they can be proud of. Do you think all of Forsyth county felt the same way when prep played in the game after us and brought 100 fans to support them.

Sorry for the rant guys, but I feel your pain. It just gets really tiring to even think about it.
I agree 100 % Alleghany. We are at the end of a 4 year run with our guys who have progressively gotten better and deeper into the playoffs each year. We haven't had a true center in this run but have consistently won and beaten 3A and 4A schools out of conference who had some real oak trees , teams that laughed at us before tipoff and cried when they watched our bantamweight champs walk off with W's .
That loss last year against W.S. Prep hurt bad and was hard to swallow , knowing we were one point and one second away from bringing the Giant down, a Giant that was created under different rules than we and everyone else we played against and beat, including the 3A and 4A teams, had to abide by. We are coming back with our seniors this season and hope to get there again , but if we don't get the ring, I hope it is to a team like Alleghany or Avery or Pamlico or Pinetown , someone you know had to play by the same rules and got the championship legitimately.

Here is my thought a team like easr Carteret is beating 3a & 4a team's not complaining at all. To me it says alot about there program. Others can have the same success but ill end my comments on that. I feel that the teams in 1A this year are on even ground with teams like bishop and Winston Salem Prep.It boils down to who has been training hard and getting coached up and wants it more.I think any team can come out of the west this year.

Originally posted by Xman8balla:
Here is my thought a team like easr Carteret is beating 3a & 4a team's not complaining at all. To me it says alot about there program. Others can have the same success but ill end my comments on that. I feel that the teams in 1A this year are on even ground with teams like bishop and Winston Salem Prep.It boils down to who has been training hard and getting coached up and wants it more.I think any team can come out of the west this year.
Even ground? Really.

"It boils down to who has been training hard and getting coached up and wants it more" You can work a Shetland pony as hard as you want, but it will never win the Kentucky Derby.

Xman, you are suppose to be a ncpreps guy to stir interest in basketball, but with your comments it seems as if you are biased toward certain schools and as such have lost the respect of many.

No bias at all i call it how i see it there are good teams this year with experienced guys who can win on any given night. It seems some of you are bias and resentful towards certain schools. I actually feel that the west is up for grabs this year. Prep isnt as good as past year's. I like teams such as Alleghany & Albemarle chances to make a run at the state title. So call me what you want i support every team and i give credit to the ones who are getting it done on the court. I guess thats why coaches coach and players play and fans watch the game.When i say even ground i say that simply because there are teams who have been together a while and will make a run.

xman, if I interpret what u are saying correctly, you are indicating that the talent level is more even this year than it has been in years past, not that how the schools get those players is a level playing field. If I interpret u correctly then I agree with you. I think there are lots of schools that could make a legitimate run at a title and several of them ( East Carteret, Cherokee, Alleghany, and Albemarle and others) are traditional schools which I think is great. I believe that the 1A state playoffs could be the most competitive that they have been in many years. There are lots of good teams this year, and amongst the traditional schools, they have leveled that field by groups staying together and working hard. I always believed that hard work and persistence should be rewarded, and I am really hoping that a traditional school gets that reward this year.

Originally posted by Xman8balla:
No bias at all i call it how i see it there are good teams this year with experienced guys who can win on any given night. It seems some of you are bias and resentful towards certain schools. I actually feel that the west is up for grabs this year. Prep isnt as good as past year's. I like teams such as Alleghany & Albemarle chances to make a run at the state title. So call me what you want i support every team and i give credit to the ones who are getting it done on the court. I guess thats why coaches coach and players play and fans watch the game.When i say even ground i say that simply because there are teams who have been together a while and will make a run.
Yes, in your early posts you were very biased toward some schools and refused to recognize that all schools have various limitations due to size or location or other factors. You have tried to mask this bias and appear to be neutral. But a leopard does not change it's spots.

WS Prep Boys are very good but not as good as last year, and I really think E. Carteret will win the 1A boys this year. However, I do think WSP Girls will win the 1A girls this year.

As I stated you are titled to your own view this is a message board so think what you will. I do not have a dog in the fight. 1A basketball is a different world for me coming from coaching at 4A level. Ill get my first real taste when I go see Albemarle this Friday at there house against Queens Grant who I think Albemarle can beat and are favored since queens grant is without 6'8 junior Patrick Tape.

My last comment on this I hate to see people bash programs or kids its speaks very negative of your character. This is high school basketball. I know the system and rules may be unfair but don't take it out on the programs and players. I was always taught if you don't have nothing good to say then don't say anything at all. By now I fully understand that traditional 1A schools have a issue with non traditional schools boundary rules. Take your issue up with the state board of athletics. Direct your disapproval at them. As I have said I feel that a normal public school has a real good chance to bring home the crown this year.

BIG GAME tonight as East Carteret travels to Northside and takes on "Bam Bam" and what looks like an improved Northside team. EC did a good job on him last year "limiting" him to probably 24+/- pts and 15 or so rebounds.

He didn't seem to have a lot of help last year in the 2 games I saw at East. This is a big early season game for both teams. Hopefully the games in M Beach have prepared East for the challenge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT