ADVERTISEMENT

East Burke & Draughn

averagejo_NC

Oct 2, 2010
Who's seat is hotter, Buffamoyer (East Burke) or Lambert (Draughn)? I know Coach Buff has only been the head coach for one year but his track record doesn't exactly lead you to believe EB is going to turn things around anytime soon. When you drop to the bottom of the conference and loose to Bunker Hill in the process, the future doesn't seem too bright. Since Draughn joined the scene they have had Coach Lambert at the helm for all but one season when he left the county to be an assistant principal. They have never been anything more than a middle of the road program and in recent years continue to loose athletes to each of the other three county schools. How many seasons of loosing do they get in a new conference after leaving the athletic death penalty of being in the same conference as Kings Mountain, Burns, Shelby, and Crest? I miss the days when Fat Friday meant something and was worth attending. I'm not sure what the rivalry between Patton and Draughn is called.

Reactions: patsfball
EB is notorious for opting for older "seasoned" coaches. Other than Biggerstaff that hasn't exactly worked out all that well. Are they willing to hand over the reigns to someone with no experience as a head coach? Maybe some from Butch Carter's coaching tree at Alexander or South Caldwell? Or someone like Hibriten's D-Coordinator Mackey?

Draughn on the other hand doesn't know anything outside of Lambert and the his core of coaches that have been with him from the beginning. The problem from what I've heard for them is that many in the district are choosing to transfer within the county even before they are in middle school. A buddy of mine said that Heritage is now the smallest middle school and Draughn has half the students of Freedom.

Any chance Buff or Lambert are on the way out after this season?

Do you think Mackey will ever venture into being a head coach? It won't be in Panther-town, as Lewis isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I'm a little surprised no one has anything to say about these two schools. Are they so far gone after getting smacked around in the SMAC that they will never recover? I just hate to see both being bottom feeders.

Reactions: FormerDog38
It's hard to win games when so many athletes can jump ship and go to Patton or Freedom. From what I understand all four schools are open and all parents have to do is pay the transfer fees. So a kid can live in George Hildebrand and go to school in Morganton and play ball. It's the same thing that always used to happen in Caldwell County between West and Hibriten battling it out for basketball and football players. If these two counties want community schools, then make kids go to the schools where they live. The problem I see for both EB and Draughn is that the good 'ol boy system has run its course. Both seem to desperately need a shake-up from the top down.

I prefer not to mention kids by name, but I will say that my previous post about transfers was directed towards students in general. It's not just sports or just a football thing. There is no denying that EB, Patton, and Freedom are growing and Draughn is shrinking.

Has anyone heard about another Draughn coach getting in trouble? Heard a parent talking about one of their assistant coaching doing something at practice recently and is in some trouble. Seems like the community may be turning on Lambert. Wouldn't be the first time.

Watched the finale in Valdese on Friday night and I have to say both of these teams looked weak and slow. It's hard to believe that these are the same kids that used to perform in the old NW4A. Neither team plays physically. At least in the old days when teams came to Icard they knew they were going home sore and beat up. It seems like the two offenses no longer compliment the kids. EB tries to be too cute offensively and I don't know what the heck Draughn is doing. I so badly want these teams to be relevant again. One because the communities deserve it and two, my kids will be at one of the schools soon. It's time for change.

Last edited:
Reactions: eb1977
Watched the finale in Valdese on Friday night and I have to say both of these teams looked weak and slow. It's hard to believe that these are the same kids that used to perform in the old NW4A. Neither team plays physically. At least in the old days when teams came to Icard they knew they were going home sore and beat up. It seems like the two offenses no longer compliment the kids. EB tries to be too cute offensively and I don't know what the heck Draughn is doing. I so badly want these teams to he relevant again. One because the communities deserve it and two, my kids will be at one of the schools soon. It's time for change.

I agree totally

Per Draughns Twitter account
Coach Scott Lambert has stepped down as head football coach - we appreciate the 9 years he dedicated to the program .

Reactions: averagejo_NC
IMO I don't think coach mackey has enough experience for this job, please do not consider making any offers.!!! #don'tleavecoach

Reactions: beamer24
Looks like the search begins in Valdese. Someone told me the job has officially been posted. Some guys on other message boards have floated a few names. Anyone here know of a guy that could direct this ship in the right direction?

A younger, on fire asst ready for a HC job. Problem is for someone like a Sam Mackey is that its hard to leave a top tier program for such a school as Draughn. Its hard to make a move that drastic.

Reactions: beamer24
New AD at Draughn has been around Burke County ball his entire life. He has some connections so this should be interesting.

New AD at Draughn has been around Burke County ball his entire life. He has some connections so this should be interesting.

Whatta relief lol. I’d say the night they beat Freedom they’ll tear the goalpost down. Like b-ball teams cut down neats. It may take til around 2030 or something lol

The day Draughn beats Freedom, more than goal post are coming down, lol. Freedom would even fire their janitor if that happened

Reactions: Burkeforreal
Draughn has hired Chris Powell as HC. Former Freedom grad who has been an assistant coach in SC for several years.

The rule is you got to move or sit out a year. I believe you can get a waiver if you went to the feeder middle school prior to your 9th grade year.

Why are there district lines? You live here you go to this school. You live here you go to this school. Don't have district lines if it's not going to be upheld. It's not fair. Coach the kids that live in your district. Any coach can be great if they have the best players. Good players make good coaches. All veteran coaches know this.
There was a kid that left west last year week 8. Played 7 games at west on jv. Next year we will see if the 365 rule is for real.

And the middle school item is not fair. If I was at william lenoir middle right near Hibriten high school and I just saw Hibriten win the state championship of course I'd love to go there. I do not agree with this waiver. It's bull crap. If you live in hibriten district you go to hibriten high school. If you live in west caldwell district you go to west caldwell. Every one coach their own kids up. Coach the kids who live in your district only. No transfers no waivers. Go to the school where you're districted to go. Get your kids in the weight room. X and o your kids up. Leave other schools kids alone.

Hibriten got beat by the same QB that played at 3 different schools (Saint Stephens, Hickory and Foard) and South Caldwells 2 best players of the last 20 years were transfers from Catawba (Pollard and Dickerson) both beat Hibriten each year.
You heard zero whining from anyone from Hibriten.

That's easy to say when you are on the side of advantage. Leave west alone for 4 years and things will change. The dumpster fire you say there is a reason for that

Call it whining. Whatever man. Just want equality. Just want rules upheld. If I was a Hibriten man I'd want things to stay just as they are too. Got some good advantages. Going to change though soon.

And just for the record. I respect the coaches at Hibriten. I'm happy for their success. This issue is solely about kids going to school in the district they live in only. If you want to play at another school move.

West Caldwell made some bad coaching hires 15 years ago and still hasn't recovered. English had them on the right track and it remains to be seen how Holeman will do. Gamewell middle hasn't won in 2 years. So unless a winning culture is established it will not change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT