ADVERTISEMENT

Early surprises...

Sleehrat84

Nov 8, 2001
After the first month...what are your top three surprises? I would list Cherokee as a positive surprise. They seem to be much improved. Second would be East Montgomery. This could be their breakthrough year. My last one might not be what you expect. ( It isn't Albemarle.). My third surprise is Williams at North Stanly. With an offer to Wisconsin, some guys would be happy to coast through the senior year free of injury. He seems set to break our rushing records before he goes off to college. Your thoughts?

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
1). For me, it's East Wilkes...A team that won 3 games last year, and is 4-0 and unbeaten this year with a better than average chance of finishing in the top 3 of the conference for the first time in quite some time...

2).Thomas Jefferson who basically replaced the whole team from last year, and is unbeaten and 5-0, this year....Just reveals what kind of Coach Jerry Cash is... He's a Program builder for sure....

3).Cherokee, East Montgomery and East Carteret have all had great starts to the season....Cherokee has already won as many games as they did all last year....East Mongomery has already beaten Albemarle, and looks to finish in the Top 3 of the YVC for the first time in a while...And then there's East Carteret who has one of the most imposing signal callers in the state in Lewis, and likely will challenge Southside for the CPC title this year, and could be a nightmare for eastern 1AA teams when the playoffs begin?....

It's still early, and there are other teams that are surprising as well...I think everyone thought that Mitchell County would have a decent team coming back, but I don't think anyone would have guessed that the Mountaineers would of had the kind of start that they have where they have mashed smaller 1A teams, and have dominated the last 2 bigger class opponent by scoring 60+ against both 4A McDowell and 3A North Buncombe...Mitchell County is a downright threat to win it all this year IMO....

And then there's a little old 1A school called Pine Lake Prep that has been cruising along under the radar, while the Pride roll along with a defensive unit that has shutout their last 3 opponents....How good is this year's Pride team?....Only time will tell....

There's just not as many surprises in the East as of yet, but there are still several candidates in South Creek, Riverside-Martin and Lakewood....

Don't think anyone is surprised by James Kenan, Tarboro or WRH, but I do think that Union is starting to turn some heads, especially after traveling to Princeton and shutting-out the Bulldogs last friday....Spartans could make some noise in the 1A East this year?

I'm sure there are others that have yet to be noticed due to difficult early season schedules....ie Walkertown, WS-Prep and Community School of Davidson.....

The story hasn't been written on all the surprises just yet, and more may be revealed as we start conference play this week around the state...

Roar Tigers Roar!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT