ADVERTISEMENT

2A Early 2A West and East Teams to Watch

1way2play

Dec 4, 2005
This list is based on returning players and returning points from information on Maxpreps. Some teams obviously did not put their stats online and you never know about transfers between schools.

In the West, I would put Forest Hills, Mountain Heritage, Hendersonville, and East Lincoln as the teams to beat.

What does everyone else think?

Interesting as I remember seeing this last season. However, this document might be skewed as some teams do not post all stats on maxpreps. Salisbury would be one I remember not posting all season scoring so that would be inaccurate etc.

If Coaches would post and do the best posting stats, the information would be spot on.

Reactions: flight1594
I've had numerous coaches say they don't put stats onto maxpreps for scouting purposes. They think it helps opposing coaches get too much information on their team and their players. I tend to disagree with them. I think posting stats for your team/players is the right thing to do and helps them get more recognition.

Also, if a coach does his/her job and scouts their opponents in person and/or on film, they will already know their opponents personnel and tendencies without necessarily knowing exact points, rebounds, FG%, etc. etc.

This list is based on returning players and returning points from information on Maxpreps. Some teams obviously did not put their stats online and you never know about transfers between schools.

In the West, I would put Forest Hills, Mountain Heritage, Hendersonville, and East Lincoln as the teams to beat.

What does everyone else think?

In addition to the four you have mentioned above, I would also think both Wheatmore and North Davidson have a chance to make some noise this upcoming season in 2a west. Both have dynamic players who can take over a game at almost any point. Wheatmore with their big kid inside and North Davidson with their guard. Both are also extremely well coached. Two more to look out for in my opinion.

With the new fall/football schedule and it getting moved back 1 week, what does that mean for these schools basketball teams. I’d guess it makes things tougher when a school has lots of football players who also are basketball players. Interesting to see others opinions of the trickle down affects for basketball

With the new fall/football schedule and it getting moved back 1 week, what does that mean for these schools basketball teams. I’d guess it makes things tougher when a school has lots of football players who also are basketball players. Interesting to see others opinions of the trickle down affects for basketball

Winter sports coaches are going to have to do some juggling to make things work out, for sure. Especially if they are at a strong football school with a lot of multiple sports athletes and football goes deep in the playoffs. I've heard of some coaches in basketball who just play on through their regular scheduled games and will move up JV kids, etc. to get the games in. And other coaches and schools who push back as many games as possible while football is still playing so they can have their football kids. Can be a bit of a tricky scenario for coaches.

Winter sports coaches are going to have to do some juggling to make things work out, for sure. Especially if they are at a strong football school with a lot of multiple sports athletes and football goes deep in the playoffs. I've heard of some coaches in basketball who just play on through their regular scheduled games and will move up JV kids, etc. to get the games in. And other coaches and schools who push back as many games as possible while football is still playing so they can have their football kids. Can be a bit of a tricky scenario for coaches.

Not sure why anyone would try to play V games with JV players. It messes with overall record, etc. that makes 0 sense.

Not sure why anyone would try to play V games with JV players. It messes with overall record, etc. that makes 0 sense.

1000% agree with you. Just saying that I know of coaches who have done that in the past. Some on their own doings, maybe it was easier to just play and not reschedule a lot of games. Some were basicaly forced to from pressure from AD or their administration. I would never want to be forced to play varsity games with mostly jv players. Not fair for the kids or the coaches and teams.

1000% agree with you. Just saying that I know of coaches who have done that in the past. Some on their own doings, maybe it was easier to just play and not reschedule a lot of games. Some were basicaly forced to from pressure from AD or their administration. I would never want to be forced to play varsity games with mostly jv players. Not fair for the kids or the coaches and teams.

Many admin. who lack athletic knowledge today and many AD's only in it for the stipend as sad as it is to say, it is true.

Reidsville has reloaded after graduating 9 seniors but a good group of players will surround sophomore Breon Pass who already holds offers from N.C. State and East Carolina..

Many admin. who lack athletic knowledge today and many AD's only in it for the stipend as sad as it is to say, it is true.
Have you seen the stipend for most AD’s versa the hours they put in? It is a full time job and most have teaching responsibility.

Have you seen the stipend for most AD’s versa the hours they put in? It is a full time job and most have teaching responsibility.

Yes, I am well aware. But if you enjoy sports, etc. then it should not matter. Most jobs in athletics involve way more work than being paid for all the hours. If you have that mindset, no wonder many schools never have improvements made to benefit student-athletes, facilities, etc. because of apathetic administration at the top or in the athletic director role.

I think Mtn. Heritage’s boys team has a chance to make some noise this season, if they can stay healthy, after going 23-2 last season. They return 54 pts per game from last year’s team (6 players) and they bring up 45 pts per game (4 players) from last year’s 17-1 JV team. They have a little bit of everything.
6’9 Justus Shelton - JR
6’5 Levi Higgins - JR
6’5 Logan Higgins - SO
6’5 Lucas Jenkins - JR
6’3 Cole Shehan - JR
6’2 Brandon Aumiller - SR
6’2 Nathaniel Ledford - JR
6’ Jalen Branton - SO
5’11 Callin Randolph - JR
5’10 Keaton Hall - SR

Reactions: Heritage 84
Definitely Mtn. Heritage should have a good team on the basketball court but for a few more weeks hopefully the basketball players on the football team will continue to have success while the others prepare for basketball.

How is that Heritage always seems to have at least one super tall kid on their team every year? Was Yancey County settled by Vikings? lol

Justus is the girls head coach Susie Sheltons son, so you know where he gets his height from. This year will probably be the tallest team ever at Heritage, if I were guessing.

On the girls side, keep an eye on Forbush. Looked pretty good last night against Glenn. And Glenn's no slouch....

The team I think gonna give people fits playoff time is Anson. Saw them against Rocky River . They gave them all they wanted and more... I think they have played a hard schedule. Played without their coach, and players for like three games.. But they have outstanding shooters and they are tall as heck. They have athletes. But they well coached and they shoot the three with the best of them.. being an Anson graduate, our record may not show it.. But I see #2 in conference behind Forest Hills. They are going to be a tough out for anyone in the playoffs and the conference..

Here is an updated list of teams to watch according to the latest Maxpreps ratings for West and East.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT