ADVERTISEMENT

Dudley @ New Hanover

If you can't find 4 white boys to recruit to play DB out of the greater Charlotte area, I've got some land to sell you. Oh wait, all the snowbirds already bought up Wrightsville Beach.
We have requirements, no taller than 5'10" must run 5.0 or slower in 40. That's the kind we like....damn was hoping it was still available

Reactions: Jeff_spicolli
To be fair, open enrollment has helped NH greatly. From my count they have 8 starters that live outside NH lines. I don’t blame those kids, most of them are from Laney and there are big problems there.

Reactions: CatholicCougs14
We also have 800 less students then Laney and Ashley and about 500 more then Hoggard. It all evens out. If you can't find 11 ball players out of 800 boys, that's on them.

Port, I think you have pointed out this before. Yep, students are pouring in from other schools - so much so that NHHS has been realigned from 4-A to 3-A. The school board can’t stand the heat from the suburban voters to draw district lines that will fill the school. I graduated from NHHS in 1982 and was thrilled when my daughter chose to skip Hoggard and attend NHHS. According to her - one of the best decisions she ever made.

While I don’t have the current numbers, I suspect without the Lyceum program and open enrollment we would be small 3A.

For the record, open choice is available to all New Hanover schools. I could only find numbers from 2012 but Hoggard seems to benefit too as 34 out of district students were assigned to Hoggard in 2012.

Last edited:
Port - I have posted about this MANY times. NHHS IS NOT OPEN ENROLLMENT. PERIOD. PARAGRAPH. END OF DISCUSSION.

NHHS is JUST LIKE Laney, Ashley and your beloved Hoggard - OPEN CHOICE. NHHS went from open enrollment status to open choice status in 2012. Under open enrollment, any high school kid who lived in the county used to be able to enroll at NHHS. Those days have long been over. Now, students must apply to get in to NHHS JUST LIKE Hoggard, Ashley and Laney. The decline in enrollment at NHHS began when NHHS went from open enrollment to open choice. It is not a coincidence NHHS is now a 3A school. The central office now has complete control over who gets into ALL FOUR of the high schools from out of district. Nobody from out of district AUTOMATICALLY gets into NHHS.

I chuckle when I hear some in the Hoggard crowd who still cluelessly claim NHHS is open enrollment. By the way, I can give you a long list of out of district players who have had major impacts on many programs at Hoggard. MANY. A BUNCH. There are some athletes in various sports right now who live in the NHHS district and are enrolled at Hoggard that I wish had chosen to go to NHHS as they are districted.

Good luck to your Vikings in the playoffs.

To further elaborate:

There is a BIG difference between OPEN CHOICE and OPEN ENROLLMENT.

OPEN ENROLLMENT means any kid who lives in the county can enroll in that school. In other words, everyone who applies gets in. NO HIGH SCHOOL IN NEW HANOVER COUNTY IS OPEN ENROLLMENT. NHHS has not been OPEN ENROLLMENT in 5 years. That is a stone cold FACT.

OPEN CHOICE means any student who lives in the county can apply to be enrolled in the high school of their choice and enrollment for out of district students depends on criteria set out by the school board. That criteria is the EXACT SAME FOR NHHS, HOGGARD, ASHLEY AND LANEY. All four New Hanover County public high schools have the SAME EXACT IDENTICAL protocol for admitting out of district applicants. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE ADMISSION PRACTICES FOR OUT OF DISTRICT HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS AT THE FOUR NEW HANOVER COUNTY HIGH SCHOOLS.

The request to go from open ENROLLMENT to open CHOICE came from the then principal at NHHS and it has proven to be a very bad decision for a number of reasons. Hello Class 3A.

Guys, I'm not knocking it. I do not blame any kid or family who moves to a better situation as long as they do it right. I am not saying NH is doing anything wrong. Acually they must be doing a lot right to have players going over there every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT