ADVERTISEMENT

Does Swain Co. ever win another State championship in 1AA?

Does Swain Co. ever win another State Championship in 1AA?

• Yes

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 30 56.6%

• Total voters
Go Jaguars!!!!
When they get their new building I fully expect them to start adding to their enrollment and in turn adding more sports. There may come a time years from now when TCEC is the preeminent athletic program in the area.

When they get their new building I fully expect them to start adding to their enrollment and in turn adding more sports. There may come a time years from now when TCEC is the preeminent athletic program in the area.
And years from now everybody will be able to complain about them like they do the charter schools recruiting from multiple counties!!! LOL!!!

Reactions: BK13T-$
That still keeps them well below the threshold. It would not be the case in Murphy. Again Im not complaining, but it is what it is.

Among the four Stanly County schools Albemarle has the highest percentage of students at the two non traditional programs. Nearly 15%. AHS also is in the first year of having an on campus EC. Those students can play sports at AHS. 42 total and I think 12 are non AHS district students.

Reactions: Emmasdaddy1
Lol, I don’t cause Mitchell is a Murphy. Don’t know yr to yr where we’ll be.
No knocks against Mitchell. Top notch program! Didnt go to the game in 2017 when they beat Robbinsville, but listened to it on the radio. Great commentators on the local radio station up there too! Very unbiased and even requested prayer for one of the Robbinsville players that got hurt! Sent them message complimenting their broadcast!

Reactions: WHChoops
No knocks against Mitchell. Top notch program! Didnt go to the game in 2017 when they beat Robbinsville, but listened to it on the radio. Great commentators on the local radio station up there too! Very unbiased and even requested prayer for one of the Robbinsville players that got hurt! Sent them message complimenting their broadcast!

the one year we went to the state championship we were 1aa

Reactions: Emmasdaddy1
Robbinsville held their own that year with some young talent. That’s why I thought this would be their year. Mitchell’s been great for my kids and my family. Couldn’t ask for more.

Why would Swain never win it again? They've won it in 1aa before, don't see why they couldn't again. As far as I know, they're the only SMC team to win it in 1aa. Others have gotten "stuck" there and never won the big one. Much respect for one of the most consistent programs in all of WNC.

How many students from the Tarboro district attend the charter school?
Tarboro's ADMs went from 557 in 2018 to 514 in 2019. That charter school pulls from across Edgecombe County though. SW Edgecombe's ADM's went down 24 from 2018, putting them in 2A playoffs rather than 2AA and no one is crying about that (2A is tougher than 2AA, perhaps). North Edgecombe lost 23 from 2018 and no one cares that they had a much better football season than last. It only becomes a big deal to people when its a football powerhouse that loses students. At some point, you have to step outside of the prism of how it affects football in order to grasp what is really happening, but some people have no life outside of discussing football.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Why would Swain never win it again? They've won it in 1aa before, don't see why they couldn't again. As far as I know, they're the only SMC team to win it in 1aa. Others have gotten "stuck" there and never won the big one. Much respect for one of the most consistent programs in all of WNC.
murphy has two 1aa state championships i believe.

murphy has two 1aa state championships i believe.
No 1AA titles, Murphy has two 2A titles and four 1A titles before the 1AA/1A split.

People talk about Murphy's lack of success in 1AA but of the ten years Murphy has been in 1AA half that time coincided with the weakest five year period in Gentry's tenure ('03-'07), 'Dogs only had one conference championship during that period and only one of those five teams were better than a .500 team. The lack of much playoff success during that period had a lot more to do with the overall program being down than Murphy being in 1AA. 'Dogs still managed to make it to the 3rd round in '03 and the regional finals in '05.

The true test of how Murphy would have done in 1AA with their best has never really happened, because the three most talented Murphy teams in the last decade ('10, '16, '18) were all 1A.

Last edited:
No 1AA titles, Murphy has two 2A titles and four 1A titles before the 1AA/1A split.

People talk about Murphy's lack of success in 1AA but of the ten years Murphy has been in 1AA half that time coincided with the weakest five year period in Gentry's tenure ('03-'07), 'Dogs only had one conference championship during that period and only one of those five teams were better than a .500 team. The lack of much playoff success during that period had a lot more to do with the overall program being down than Murphy being in 1AA. 'Dogs still managed to make it to the 3rd round in '03 and the regional finals in '05.

The true test of how Murphy would have done in 1AA with their best has never really happened, because the three most talented Murphy teams in the last decade ('10, '16, '18) were all 1A.

Would have really liked to have seen how Murphy's 2010 team would have done in the 1AA bracket, I think that probably would have been their best shot. Strange thing is, out of the three teams you mentioned, that was the only one that didn't win the small 1A title. Just bad luck that W-RH was 1A that year.

Just about the only thing going on in Robbinsville is high school football. One of the biggest battles in this sport is recruiting your halls, and that's loads easier at Robbinsville than most other places.
???? So whats other schools in 1A recruiting against?

Im kinda new so Ive not hashed anything hundreds of times, but again on a side note, 1-2 playmakers as you say can make a huge difference in 1A football. I would hate for someone to take out two of our best players and think we would be the same team....

Even 1 will make a huge difference in 1A or 1AA ball.....

Would have really liked to have seen how Murphy's 2010 team would have done in the 1AA bracket, I think that probably would have been their best shot. Strange thing is, out of the three teams you mentioned, that was the only one that didn't win the small 1A title. Just bad luck that W-RH was 1A that year.
I feel strongly the 2010 team wins the 1AA title, Albemarle would disagree but I saw both title games that year and Murphy/WRH were the two best teams in 1A/1AA that season. Shame it started raining that day at Kenan against WRH. Murphy was in control up until halftime, then the rain came which neutralized the Murphy passing game and the rest as they say is history.

The 2014 Murphy team would definitely have been up there with the aforementioned Murphy squads had they stayed healthy. They would've had a good shot in 1AA that year as well.

I feel strongly the 2010 team wins the 1AA title, Albemarle would disagree but I saw both title games that year and Murphy/WRH were the two best teams in 1A/1AA that season. Shame it started raining that day at Kenan against WRH. Murphy was in control up until halftime, then the rain came which neutralized the Murphy passing game and the rest as they say is history.

The 2014 Murphy team would definitely have been up there with the aforementioned Murphy squads had they stayed healthy. They would've had a good shot in 1AA that year as well.
I watched both as well. I'm pretty confident Murphy would have beat Albemarle by 14. Wasn't that the year WRH won on like a 55 yard field goal?

Until tarboro is out of 1aa it’ll be hard for any west team to win. East has best chance in a long time

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT