ADVERTISEMENT

Does Swain Co. ever win another State championship in 1AA?

Does Swain Co. ever win another State Championship in 1AA?

• Yes

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 30 56.6%

• Total voters

Gwytoli

Jan 2, 2017
With Tarboro, East Surry....is Swain done making it to state and winning it ?

I’d say no as long as tarboro is 1aa and Swain is 1aa. East isn’t relevant enough “yet” to decide that outcome. Plus Murphy teetering on than line doesn’t help.

I’d say no as long as tarboro is 1aa and Swain is 1aa. East isn’t relevant enough “yet” to decide that outcome. Plus Murphy teetering on than line doesn’t help.

East Surry will fall back to earth eventually. I think their run will be short lived. They'll be back to normal. The next realignment could be change some things but who knows.

Please folks, we are 8-2 with tough losses to two quality teams. Tarboro won’t be loaded forever and the same for East. Swain will always be looking to be in the hunt. Sometimes that’s the best you can do. But we do have one AA title with two trips to the finals. Better that the other 1AA school did before they dropped down from the SMC! And who know how long Swain will stay up in 1AA. Economics for the county are hurting with Con Met shouting down. I say with in five yrs we’ll be barely at the five hundred mark. And with new schools being added to the system and talk of realignment to 5A who can honestly guess what tomorrow may bring. Right now I’d be laughing my tail off if folks take this yrs bunch to lightly.

Last decade there was a lot of talk up here about the West dominating 1AA. Times have changed. The western champion hasn't even been real close to winning in a while.

I have a 6-year-old daughter that loves the drama of words like never and ever. Please. Today has more than enough to say grace over.

Swain should open a early college so they can drop down. Its helped others win titles.
It always comes back to this, doesn't it?
shutterstock-302075804-tiredwoman-lolostock-main-1486055427.jpg

You know what else is a big advantage? Being the only school in a tiny county that only has bear hunting and high school football as things going on. Everybody has inherent advantages, just some are more obvious than others.

Who knows who drops down to 1A. Thomasville, Northeastern, East Bladen, Kinston, Mountain Heritage are some of the teams possible.

You know what else is a big advantage? Being the only school in a tiny county that only has bear hunting and high school football as things going on. Everybody has inherent advantages, just some are more obvious than others.
How is that an advantage?

Are you saying that school districts are intentionally creating these schools in order to create 1A football dynasties?

No.
Im saying its a huge advantage.
Alot of murphy fans agree.
Anytime your enrollment goes way down without affecting your number of athletes its an advantage.

Reactions: Mbulld
I dont think anyone is accusing anybody of anything. With that said, if there was not a Tricounty Early College with approx 150 students or an Oaks Academy with around 50, thats 200 more kids would potentially be at Murphy High School. That could drastically change their ADM and their classification as 1A. All of the other school districts numbers in the conference more accurately depict the number of people that actually live in their areas. Not saying its wrong or illegal, it just is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
I dont think anyone is accusing anybody of anything. With that said, if there was not a Tricounty Early College with approx 150 students or an Oaks Academy with around 50, thats 200 more kids would potentially be at Murphy High School. That could drastically change their ADM and their classification as 1A. All of the other school districts numbers in the conference more accurately depict the number of people that actually live in their areas. Not saying its wrong or illegal, it just is what it is.
It really seems based on the numbers that a lot of small schools are getting smaller. It's just the nature of how schooling goes today.

It really seems based on the numbers that a lot of small schools are getting smaller. It's just the nature of how schooling goes today.
Nope it's a loop hole in the rules that most schools above little 1a take advantage of, all the way to the 4AA level.

thats 200 more kids would potentially be at Murphy High School. .
lol no it isnt. Hiwassee Dam, Andrews and Hayesville all feed Tri County. Andrews and Hiwassee Dam also feed Oaks. Let's say 40% of all those kids are originally from Murphy's district, they'd still have less students than Swain.

If you think Oaks is some kind of advantage for Murphy over those kids actually being at Murphy High you're wrong. Year to year some of the best athletes in the county are at Oaks. I'm quite sure Murphy's coaches would much rather have them at Murphy High and eligible to play, than not, even if it means being 1AA.

If you factored in all the early college kids from Murphy district, I'm willing to bet they would still have around 80 less kids at the high school than they did 15 years ago. So for BK to say Murphy's enrollment has changed, but the athlete pool hasn't is patently false. 80 kids, that's roughly 40 males. You exclude freshman that's 30. Let's be somewhat conservative and say only 15% of those 30 are legitimate athletes, that's still 4-5 more potential starters for Murphy's varsity than they have now. Odds are good 1 or 2 of them are difference makers. That certainly sounds to me like the athlete pool is different than it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncgrad1998

So what about Alleghany, Ashe, Madison, and Hayesville? Being the lone wolf doesn't seem to work for them.

Reactions: KW23
lol no it isnt. Hiwassee Dam, Andrews and Hayesville all feed Tri County. Andrews and Hiwassee Dam also feed Oaks. Let's be generous and say 40% of all those kids are in Murphy's district, they'd still have less students than Swain.

If you think Oaks is some kind of advantage for Murphy over those kids actually being at Murphy High you're wrong. Year to year some of the best athletes in the county are at Oaks. I'm quite sure Murphy's coaches would much rather have them at Murphy High and eligible to play, than not, even if it means being 1AA.

Bottomline is that even if you factored in all the early college kids from Murphy district, they would still have around 80 less kids at the high school than they did 15 years ago. So for BK to say Murphy's enrollment has changed, but the athlete pool hasn't is patently false. 80 kids, that's roughly 40 males. You exclude freshman that's 30. Let's be conservative and say only 15% of those are legitimiate athletes, that's around 5 potential starters for Murphy's varsity. Odds are 1-2 of them are true difference maker level talents. Certainly sounds to me like the athlete pool is different than it was.

I think you just sort of proved his point. If you took those 80 ( which is probably fairly accurate) kids and added them to the 466, that would put Murphy at 546. Murphy still might still be smaller than Swain, but would much larger than the smallest school in the 1AA. If it were not for TCEC and the Oaks, Murphy would not be in the 1A bracket for playoffs. Not saying its wrong, but again, it is what it is. Its not a matter of how many athletes you have, we all have athletes, its not about males and females, we all have them. Its not about freshman, we all count them. Its not about ineligible players, we all have those too. Its strictly about an accurate depiction of enrollment

On a side note, 1-2 big play makers can make a huge difference in 1A football.....

Last edited:
How many students from the Tarboro district attend the charter school?

Its strictly about an accurate depiction of enrollment.
He said Murphy's enrollment has changed but the athlete pool hasn't, i'm saying thats not true and provided numbers based evidence. I don't care about the other parts of it because it's already been hashed over 100 times before on here.

Last edited:
Stanly County now allows community college EC students and alternative school students to play at their home school. AHS went from 380 on campus to 435 with their off campus students added.

I'm glad counties are allowing these kids to play sports at their home school. We have to remember in education we have to do what's best for the kids and a kid shouldn't be told they can't play a sport just because they choose to take advantage of an awesome opportunity and program with an early college.

I think you just sort of proved his point. If you took those 80 ( which is probably fairly accurate) kids and added them to the 466, that would put Murphy at 546. Murphy still might still be smaller than Swain, but would much larger than the smallest school in the 1AA. If it were not for TCEC and the Oaks, Murphy would not be in the 1A bracket for playoffs. Not saying its wrong, but again, it is what it is. Its not a matter of how many athletes you have, we all have athletes, its not about males and females, we all have them. Its not about freshman, we all count them. Its not about ineligible players, we all have those too. Its strictly about an accurate depiction of enrollment.
And even if Swain was in the 1a bracket and Murphy was in the 1aa, they have already lost to Murphy and Robbinsville. Kind of a moot point till Swain wins the conference. Robbinsville is going small 1a, that’s a given. Murphy teeters.

He said Murphy's enrollment has changed but the athlete pool hasn't, i'm saying thats not true and provided facts. I don't care about the other parts of it because it's already been hashed over 100 times before.
Im kinda new so Ive not hashed anything hundreds of times, but again on a side note, 1-2 playmakers as you say can make a huge difference in 1A football. I would hate for someone to take out two of our best players and think we would be the same team....

So even if Swain goes 1a they have to win their conference to win 1a or at least give robbinsville a close game. And how many EC kids would Swain have to have to drop to 1a?

I'm glad counties are allowing these kids to play sports at their home school. We have to remember in education we have to do what's best for the kids and a kid shouldn't be told they can't play a sport just because they choose to take advantage of an awesome opportunity and program with an early college.
Tri County Early College has it's own sport program. Those kids "home school" is Tri County Early College, as the school itself is located on the campus of the community college.

Stanly County now allows community college EC students and alternative school students to play at their home school. AHS went from 380 on campus to 435 with their off campus students added.
That still keeps them well below the threshold. It would not be the case in Murphy. Again Im not complaining, but it is what it is.

That still keeps them well below the threshold. It would not be the case in Murphy. Again Im not complaining, but it is what it is.
Why is this on “will Swain win a 1aa championship again post”? This should be a “ will Robbinsville win a 1a state championship while Murphy is in 1a as long as Murphy has EC kids?” I personally think they do this year.

Why is this on “will Swain win a 1aa championship again post”? This should be a “ will Robbinsville win a 1a state championship while Murphy is in 1a as long as Murphy has EC kids?” I personally think they do this year.
Not sure! But I did vote Yes! I wish Swain could win the 1AA every year!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT