ADVERTISEMENT

Discussion to tear down Memorial stadium

MLS isn't that soccer??? Soccer that is what we got for winning the cold war

The plan is to renovate and modify Memorial Stadium to accommodate an MLS team. If it is decided to level the stadium there will be a lot of support for the land to go to CPCC.

The plan is to renovate and modify Memorial Stadium to accommodate an MLS team. If it is decided to level the stadium there will be a lot of support for the land to go to CPCC.

If it's for renovation will it be a temporary stadium for MLS? I can't see them using it as a permanent/long term facility for MLS team.

If it's for renovation will it be a temporary stadium for MLS? I can't see them using it as a permanent/long term facility for MLS team.

The current minor league team was looking for renovation of the current stadium at government cost of $20 million. Bruton Smith, owner of Charlotte Motor Speedway, got involved stating he wanted an MLS franchise which would require a tear down and complete new stadium that would cost the city/county $100 million. Many locals are skeptical of Mr Smith and have seen his fights with Cabarrus / Concord. Money would come from the hotel tax and property taxes. The succesful minor league team in Cary is interested in moving to the MLS while the Charlotte minor league team has not been invited into the conversations on the Charlotte entry to major league soccer. We will see where it goes. The few I have talked to that are soccer folks think Cary is the better location for the team but do not know about the infrastructure of the options. $100 million for a billionaire will get a lot of negative press as will the tearing down of a historic site.

Reactions: Chopper747
The current minor league team was looking for renovation of the current stadium at government cost of $20 million. Bruton Smith, owner of Charlotte Motor Speedway, got involved stating he wanted an MLS franchise which would require a tear down and complete new stadium that would cost the city/county $100 million. Many locals are skeptical of Mr Smith and have seen his fights with Cabarrus / Concord. Money would come from the hotel tax and property taxes. The succesful minor league team in Cary is interested in moving to the MLS while the Charlotte minor league team has not been invited into the conversations on the Charlotte entry to major league soccer. We will see where it goes. The few I have talked to that are soccer folks think Cary is the better location for the team but do not know about the infrastructure of the options. $100 million for a billionaire will get a lot of negative press as will the tearing down of a historic site.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT