ADVERTISEMENT

Decision About playoffs to be made Wed

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
4 minutes ago

Fall Season Update​

Good morning,

Our thoughts and prayers continue for our membership in Western North Carolina. We appreciate the consideration and compassion being shown to them.

During the past week, the NCHSAA Board of Directors and staff were busy collecting information relative to the impact of Hurricane Helene on the Fall Sports Season and the Playoffs. Using this gathered information, decisions will be made by the Board members and announced on Wednesday morning. Thank you for your patience.

If you have any questions, please contact Brad Alford, Rhonda Dreibelbis or Karen DeHart.

Sincerely,

Que Tucker
Commissioner

When does it look like Asheville and TC Rob will return to school on campus? Any word if they are trying to plan for potential practices or to play this season.

I feel for the players that are seniors like I did for the 2020 senior baseballers.

Reactions: beamer24
When does it look like Asheville and TC Rob will return to school on campus? Any word if they are trying to plan for potential practices or to play this season.

I feel for the players that are seniors like I did for the 2020 senior baseballers.
Just about every pocket of the Buncombe County Schools districts has a community or two that is severely affected, Enka district was probably the least.

One major issue facing Swananoa (Owen) and Asheville areas and the schools in that county stepping foot back on campus, is the 36” pipes at the main reservoir broke or are completely gone for very long portions so they are not anticipating water in parts of the city of Asheville or Swananoa and Black Mountain for several more weeks potentially. This maybe other areas in Buncombe County. Asheville is Asheville City Schools where all other schools in Buncombe County are part of Buncombe County Schools so they are two independent school systems, in case you didn’t, so they could independent decisions.

Roberson’s worst affected areas would be Biltmore, Cane Creek, Fairview (depending how that line is drawn between them and Reynolds).

No idea about sports but that’s some of what currently affects each in their districts.

From what I have seen, the Erwin district probably has the least damage. Unlike Enka, Asheville, Reynolds, and Owen which depend heavily on the severely damaged north fork and bee tree reservoirs - TC may be able to utilize a lot of the South Mills River plant and part of Erwin Hills utilizes Woodfin Water from Reems Creek. There is Woodfin water flowing to houses right up to Erwin High and I know there is water in south Asheville, so I could see those two starting before the others. With the extensive damage to the barnardsville area I’m not sure what North Buncombe’s situation would be.

I understand that Asheville High is bringing the kids back for practice starting this Friday and they will be looking to play somebody somewhere next Friday

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT