ADVERTISEMENT

CVAC 2022 - Week 9

Valdese Tigers wore black and yellow/gold colors.
Cheerduck, thank you, my friend, I knew you’d know.
BFR said he had family who went there and I believe he said Valdese was one of the schools which merged into East Burke.
Recalling the first time going to Valdese, I was a child. I remembered it smelling good. My Mother said it was Waldensian Bakery.

Lol when u come over to maiden Friday night u gonna have the mouth dropped open and confused look 🤣🤣
Hey you ! One other thing. The mouth drooped open and the confused look is called defensive driving (for seniors).
The only time I’ll be doing that in Maiden is if the police gets after me or driving through your town or trying to park at your stadium, because everybody there drives large trucks or big SUV’s and they can’t resist blowing the horn and cussing when they see a car like mine. They think the Lord wants them to do that.

Hey you ! One other thing. The mouth drooped open and the confused look is called defensive driving (for seniors).
The only time I’ll be doing that in Maiden is if the police gets after me or driving through your town or trying to park at your stadium, because everybody there drives large trucks or big SUV’s and they can’t resist blowing the horn and cussing when they see a car like mine. They think the Lord wants them to do that.
When you're at the game look for the big blue helmet the players come out of I'll be the big guy down there with it with a big beard in a big dog hoodie 🤣🤣

Cheerduck, thank you, my friend, I knew you’d know.
BFR said he had family who went there and I believe he said Valdese was one of the schools which merged into East Burke.
Recalling the first time going to Valdese, I was a child. I remembered it smelling good. My Mother said it was Waldensian Bakery.
Always will remember Valdese fondly. My uncle was city manager there in the ‘60’s. Went from there to Roanoke Rapids, then to Sanford, which is where I was born. My parents moved back to Thomasville when I was nine months old. Also have a lot of family in Morganton, Marion and Lake Nebo.
Attended the funeral last week of my last remaining uncle, Bucky Reep. He was the first scholarship baseball player in ECU history and coached baseball and football in Marion. Coach David Riggs gave the eulogy and there were lots of old coaches in the sanctuary. Brought back a lot of pleasant memories.

OC, that's really interesting. I assumed your people were in the Triad area even though I recall you saying you had a close relative living near the Burke-Avery line. Valdese is a pretty town.
You being related to the Reeps is also interesting. The Battle of Ramsour's Mill was fought here in 1780, around where our stadium is now. One of the key figures was Adam Reep. The Reeps, here, lived in Lincolnton and the near West Lincoln area. I'll have to tell you about that sometime.
Oh, and say, I too had an uncle who lived in the Roanoke Rapids-Halifax County area. He too was in public service but somewhat different from what your uncle was in. Mine was in farming so to speak.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
OC, that's really interesting. I assumed your people were in the Triad area even though I recall you saying you had a close relative living near the Burke-Avery line. Valdese is a pretty town.
You being related to the Reeps is also interesting. The Battle of Ramsour's Mill was fought here in 1780, around where our stadium is now. One of the key figures was Adam Reep. The Reeps, here, lived in Lincolnton and the near West Lincoln area. I'll have to tell you about that sometime.
Oh, and say, I too had an uncle who lived in the Roanoke Rapids-Halifax County area. He too was in public service but somewhat different from what your uncle was in. Mine was in farming so to speak.
I get your drift.😊
Thomasville, Lexington and Forsyth County mostly. But my grandfather left Thomasville Furniture in the early ‘50’s to head up manufacturing for Drexel. Lived in Morganton and left some progeny in the area. Several still around those parts.

I get your drift.😊
Thomasville, Lexington and Forsyth County mostly. But my grandfather left Thomasville Furniture in the early ‘50’s to head up manufacturing for Drexel. Lived in Morganton and left some progeny in the area. Several still around those parts.
Furniture, I see the connection between Burke County and Thomasville... Also, congrats on the Bulldogs win over Montgomery Central earlier in the week. Hope to see T'ville deep in the playoffs.

I was told that newton's quarterback Friday night got a pretty bad concussion. From What they told me he didn't even know where he was

• Sad
Also, Cheerduck, congratulations on the Red Tornadoes win, last night. They should have a decent first round pick and a home game come playoff time.
Our team is still young and making some foolish mistakes, but they're winning. The Statesville game will be a good challenge as they are much like us. That game should be for the 2nd seed out of our conference. We need a home playoff game.

Always will remember Valdese fondly. My uncle was city manager there in the ‘60’s. Went from there to Roanoke Rapids, then to Sanford, which is where I was born. My parents moved back to Thomasville when I was nine months old. Also have a lot of family in Morganton, Marion and Lake Nebo.
Attended the funeral last week of my last remaining uncle, Bucky Reep. He was the first scholarship baseball player in ECU history and coached baseball and football in Marion. Coach David Riggs gave the eulogy and there were lots of old coaches in the sanctuary. Brought back a lot of pleasant memories.
Amazing to learn that Bucky Reep was your uncle. He made quite an impact in that area. David Riggs is another one of those iconic men who grew up in Morganton and made an impact coaching at McDowell and across the state.

Amazing to learn that Bucky Reep was your uncle. He made quite an impact in that area. David Riggs is another one of those iconic men who grew up in Morganton and made an impact coaching at McDowell and across the state.
Bucky married my father’s sister, Jane. They were high school sweethearts. She died way too young, at 50, in 1986. He remarried but stayed very close to our family. Special guy.
Riggs played at UNC when my brother was a football manager. He lived with my Uncle Bucky for a while when he returned to the area.
Cheerduck, you would have recognized a lot of faces in that service. Lot of western NC high school coaches.

OC, you might already know this but Cheerduck is an avid researcher and records keeper of Catawba Valley sports, particularly football, and has been doing this for years. He knows many of the old coaches and players in that area.

I was told that newton's quarterback Friday night got a pretty bad concussion. From What they told me he didn't even know where he was
I hate to hear that. My prayers and best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery...Saw Newton-Conover play at West Lincoln a week ago this past Friday. The field at West is one where you have a really good view from the sidelines. Was really impressed with how hard he (N-C quarterback Luangkhot) played, and with his calmness, too, even after some hard hits. He is obviously a leader. Hope he goes to one of the service academies.

Last edited:
I have this image in my head if I see you you're going to look like Ray Stevens from his music video The streak. 🤣🤣
You know, I been gone all day. Had lunch at my cousins and got some shopping done. What a fine day it's been. Went over to Walmart, didn't see/hear a single slider, and everyone seemed to be in such good spirits. I come home, log onto the internet, open the CVAC thread and there you are, AMD, with a big thick pencil rapping me across the knuckles, and calling me a bare old man. If you could only imagine what that would look like, me running down the road with nothing between me and heaven but air. It would look worse than the Great San Francisco Earthquake of 1906. Hope you'll behave and try to be a kind young man, especially to your elders, like me, You evil blue specter that wakes others from a deep wholesome sleep.

You know, I been gone all day. Had lunch at my cousins and got some shopping done. What a fine day it's been. Went over to Walmart, didn't see/hear a single slider, and everyone seemed to be in such good spirits. I come home, log onto the internet, open the CVAC thread and there you are, AMD, with a big thick pencil rapping me across the knuckles, and calling me a bare old man. If you could only imagine what that would look like, me running down the road with nothing between me and heaven but air. It would look worse than the Great San Francisco Earthquake of 1906. Hope you'll behave and try to be a kind young man, especially to your elders, like me, You evil blue specter that wakes others from a deep wholesome sleep.
Actually I was talking more about the ray Stevens character they keep interviewing in video 🤣

OC, you might already know this but Cheerduck is an avid researcher and records keeper of Catawba Valley sports, particularly football, and has been doing this for years. He knows many of the old coaches and players in that area.
I suspected that our friend Cheerduck would have a better handle on the history of coaching in the area than I would. Wish I could call the names of the faces in the church. I feel sure Cheerduck would have picked them out pretty quickly, including some that I wouldn’t know.

I would look more like a some fleeting X-Ray. If I did that my posterior would be hustled off to the rest home oh so quickly LOL

• Haha
Cheerduck, here is a coaching history question for you! My Dad was the head baseball coach, boys and girls basketball coach, and football coach at Statesville High School from 1947-1953. And I am the oldest head high school football coach in NC now! Who am I???

You know the great thing about playing Lincolnton at maiden 🤔 we don't have to hear an old sick wounded dog yelping the whole game 🤣🤣🤣 shots fired 🤣🤣
Lol I was at the East Lincoln game and the score was 27-0 and they were still playing that darn Wolf sound. It's pretty cool if you're a Lincolnton fan but as a visitor it's annoying as hell 🤣🤣 Good luck to both teams the rest of the year.

Bucky married my father’s sister, Jane. They were high school sweethearts. She died way too young, at 50, in 1986. He remarried but stayed very close to our family. Special guy.
Riggs played at UNC when my brother was a football manager. He lived with my Uncle Bucky for a while when he returned to the area.
Cheerduck, you would have recognized a lot of faces in that service. Lot of western NC high school coaches.
ocdavis31, I even knew his dad "Bub" Reep. I never saw Bub that he didn't have a big chew of baccky in his jaw. He loved his baseball and slow pitch softball. My brother played for a very good team here in Hickory that was invited to play in a season opening tournament in Drexel one year by none other that Bub himself. Once my brother's team got there to play the first game they found that they were playing a Burke County All Star team. It was a tense match up but my brother's team prevailed and ended up winning the tournament. Bub was always full of surprises. I have an audio recording of him talking about Jug Wilson and their relationship from around the 1978 or 79 time frame. I need to copy it and send you a copy. Bub was a pioneer and helped the sports in Burke County more than he'll ever get credit for.

ocdavis31, I even knew his dad "Bub" Reep. I never saw Bub that he didn't have a big chew of baccky in his jaw. He loved his baseball and slow pitch softball. My brother played for a very good team here in Hickory that was invited to play in a season opening tournament in Drexel one year by none other that Bub himself. Once my brother's team got there to play the first game they found that they were playing a Burke County All Star team. It was a tense match up but my brother's team prevailed and ended up winning the tournament. Bub was always full of surprises. I have an audio recording of him talking about Jug Wilson and their relationship from around the 1978 or 79 time frame. I need to copy it and send you a copy. Bub was a pioneer and helped the sports in Burke County more than he'll ever get credit for.
I’d appreciate that, Cheerduck. Only met Bub a couple times, but heard lots of stories, and my dad spoke often of Jug Wilson. My brother and I were talking about that on the way to the service. George Cushwa used to talk about Jug fondly. My brother coached for George.
There was a real fraternity of coaches in North Carolina for sixty of seventy years. May still be that way, but not sure it is. Lots of colorful stories among that bunch, some of them even true.
My dad spent some time at LR late forties. And some at Catawba. He enjoyed both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT