ADVERTISEMENT

Cox Mill @ Asheville

CabCoFootball

Aug 11, 2014
Any Asheville faithful around here? I think this game is closer than the records may indicate. CM has a dangerous offense, and improving defense. Both teams ran over Central Cabarrus. Asheville came out sluggish and rolled, while Cox Mill rolled and they scored some points at the end to make it respectable.

Any input from the mountain folk?

Last week the temperature was -130 with wind blowing constantly in our stadium and we got caught looking ahead. This week the weather is supposed to be better and I promise you our guys will take the game more seriously. Don't know anything about Cox Mill. What type of O do ya'll run?

Any questions you have I'll be glad to answer, and have a safe trip up the mountain.
wink.r191677.gif

We're a pistol triple option team, but we have some very good receivers so we like to throw it around and get the ball on the perimeter. How is your secondary?

Defensively, we are a 3-4. I hope we do some different things to stop that physical run game. We put some more bodies down on the line vs. Carson who is a Wishbone offense and we had success. Y'all are probably the best team we've seen this year besides Charlotte Latin. It's gonna take a lot for us to make this a 48 minute game.

Our secondary is pretty good. We'll get burned once per game if our corners are asleep. Our safeties are nasty with multiple interceptions this season. We bring a lot of different blitz packages depending on your formation. We're set up in what looks like a 3-5 but it's hard for opponents to tell what's going on because our backers pretty much roam everywhere.....think TCU defense and you'll get a good idea of us.

If you have a really smart QB who can read us, he may be able to catch us blitzing and hit some dump passes in the flats, but like I said, we have some nasty safeties that are waiting for that.

Our run game is great being a combination of excellent blockers up front to 3 rotating backs, not to mention a fullback that likes to decapitate linebackers. If you stack the box on us and have enough athletes to spread out and take away the outside you can slow us down. We like to pound between the tackles and lull you to sleep picking up 4 yards here and there.

I remember the last triple option team, we faced, it was Hibriten, they got burned in the 1st half, we couldn't recover from it. Defending the triple can be very tricky that's why our defense can't afford to come out sloppy like last week, or we might not be able to recover this time. I think It will be a shootout seeing how cox mill gives up 33 a game. Cougars by 20

This post was edited on 11/16 7:59 PM by Fadeca

Fadeca, correct me if I'm wrong, cause I have been before.....but when we played Hibriten we were still a base 4-4 defense. The change we made in our base D a couple three years ago was to counter all the spread offenses we're seeing in the MAC now, so it should fit pretty good against a pistol trip O.

Originally posted by CabCoFootball:
Any Asheville faithful around here? I think this game is closer than the records may indicate. CM has a dangerous offense, and improving defense. Both teams ran over Central Cabarrus. Asheville came out sluggish and rolled, while Cox Mill rolled and they scored some points at the end to make it respectable.

Any input from the mountain folk?
Asheville runs a 46 defense with mostly 5 and sometimes 6 down lineman. The secondary is ok, but they play out of position sometimes and rarely seem to come down with an interception. I worry about our linebackers, they don't move too well and cant bring down guys in traffic. As for the offense, we aren't that much of a run team as people act, we will probably end up back in our 5 receiver set this week with our sophomore qb who has come along nicely. Last week we were only in the power I because we tried to get pressure off our young qb. It wouldn't surprise me though to see us throw it 20-30 times this week especially if the qb can complete a couple. Enjoy your trip up to North Carolina's best high school stadium.

He was being funny. The only thing we've changed since 1933 is our defense. We are a run team, period.

Here are some excuses for the Asheville defense's unemotional start. One, coming off a highly emotional conference title win against an undefeated team. Two, a #1 seed vs a #16 seed mentality. Three, the big game was being played across town.

Looks to be a game of speed vs speed.

Yep all of those are good excuses. But according to one of the cougar coaching staff, Central Cabarrus came in with a really good offensive game plan that took Asheville a while to figure out how to stop. In the end it was a blowout but according to them the slow start was more about the way CC played and less about coming out flat, emotionally worn or the fact that the big game was across town.

Asheville people, some folks are wondering so I thought I'd ask y'all... is there any radio station that broadcasts the games or puts a live stream on the internet?

1310 am radio only
570 am Game of the Week, might be Owen game, checkout website, podcast put up later
Cougarsportsnet.com might do the live feed

Onewhoknows, you're right about that. Can't take anything away from CC. They came in with the intentions of putting up a lot of point quickly and riding out the storm.

We also had a corner that got picked on pretty bad in that game. I'm assuming the CC coaches saw something on film that made them think they could exploit that one.

Your're right, that was the last season we ran that base defense, I think we ran some nickle packages midway through the '10 season because our secondary was getting burned so badly.

I believe cougarsportsnet.com will be streaming the game live online. Also, ESPN radio 1310 Asheville will be carrying the game.

Originally posted by COUGAR-90:

http://www.cougarsportsnet.com/csn-is-back-for-2014/

Try not to throw anything at your computer screen when a 30 sec commercial pops up right in the middle of a big play. lol
Those commercials pop up at the wrong time, don't they. It is the small price of getting the game broadcast online. We deal with the same issue on ktcbroadcasting.com. We will cover Shelby/Carver, Crest/West Rowan and 2 other games this week via internet stream. Due to NCHSAA regulations all playoff games must be audio only. No live video allowed.

No live video stream tonight-wish we could! We asked for permission but were told there were no rule changes about streaming this season so still off limits. You will have to catch the replay on cable.

Those ads are bad and I wish they didn't insert those. We kicked around the idea of payperview streaming but as a school operation that seemed unfair, but there is no budget for paid streaming with no ads without more local sponsors. Glad that you guys are/were watching this season!

This post was edited on 11/21 7:29 PM by Tarheel Cougar

Asheville up 35-0 at halftime. Had a 20 yard td called back to prevent the first half running clock.

55-7 Final. Much better effort on defense than last week, glad to see the passing game clicking in the playoffs. I just came across the ACR-Wedd score, its 45-18 Weddington final, wow didn't expect ACR to lose by that much, I heard their a very physical football team. I wonder if their MLB from last year returned.

much better effort this week by the defense than last week. I don't think Cox Mill got into Asheville territory until the 4th quarter.

Probably as solid a four quarters as I've seen the Cougars play all year. Decent refs as well. A few bad calls but they let the kids play football. The subs let Cox Mill score with a minute and change left in the 4th quarter.

We're rollin' now. Welcome back to our house Weddington. We have some unfinished business with you boys.

From everything I have seen in the past 15 years of Asheville high football... the level of competition goes up exponentially in the 3rd round of the playoffs. Once you get into the 3rd round, the teams you are playing are state championship contenders and Weddington is definitely that.

I agree Cougar1. Nothing but respect for Weddington. They are physical and very, very well coached. We have plenty of kids on our side of the ball that remember what happened the last time Weddington rolled into town. It's not going to be a cake walk by any means.

That being said, I was impressed by what I saw at practice this week. We knew we were going to be facing a triple option team that was fast up to the line. We had two squads on show team running plays as fast as they could and forcing our 1st D to get set and ready as soon as the ball was spotted.

I'm only looking one week ahead, period. And what I've seen out of this team is that if they want it bad enough they can beat Weddington. Not taking anything for granted. Right now we're looking pretty good. We just need to continue to stay humble, work hard, and prepare for whoever is next in line.

I agree with you cougar90 we are playing well right now. We did anything we wanted and completely took cox mill out of the game by the first quarter. HOWEVER, I hope our guys realize the team coming up the mountain next week is no cox mill.

Boy what a joke of a game. Our first round opponent was way better than this team tonight. I thought each round was supposed to get tougher not easier. The team last week scored on us easy early. This group tonight was not close. I am afraid tonight's game hurt us as far as getting ready for Weddington.

Well the team we beat last night beat the team we played last week 53-35! Asheville just played better last night!

That defense last night is the real deal. Weddington has one to. Low score next week, like last year?

Low score yes.

We'll need our QB and receivers to play their best game of the year next Friday.....cause we will NOT get yards between the tackles like we usually do. If we play ground & pound against Weddington all night we could end up with some seriously banged up running backs. We do NOT need that if we're going to keep advancing.

If anything, I wish we HADN'T aired the ball out so much last night. That's something Weddington doesn't need to see in game film. Right now I'm just hoping for a win and to come out with everyone healthy.

ps: Dear God, please take the naked bootleg and QB draw out of our playbook for this game. We need to keep Salters alive and healthy.

Originally posted by warbonnet:
Boy what a joke of a game. Our first round opponent was way better than this team tonight. I thought each round was supposed to get tougher not easier. The team last week scored on us easy early. This group tonight was not close. I am afraid tonight's game hurt us as far as getting ready for Weddington.
I guess the Denver Broncos was a joke also in the Super Bowl? Give Asheville the credit of having a great team. And it is not easy being a road team that must determine how to make a two and half hour trip and play in the mountains. The guy at Central Davidson use to coach at Tuscola. He have faced Asheville a few times and have beaten them once I believe. So, he definitely knew how to attack and what some of the weakness of their defense were.

Cougar90, you can't worry about players getting hurt. Crezdon and Rahkeem ran a lot as QB's. I'm glad we aired it out, that gives Weddington something to think about if they try to stack 8 and 9 in the box like they did last year. We are much more explosive in the running and passing game than we were a year ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT