ADVERTISEMENT

Coldest game your team ever played in?

ThsFans

Sep 30, 2014
Saw this topic on the 2A board and had to bring it over here. The coldest one I think I ever attended was Thomasville at Mount Airy 1987. COLD!!!!!! Second coldest was Thomasville at Robbinsville 1999. I'm sure our SMC friends have some cold one.

Thomasville played in Robbinsville back in 1999,a playoff game,it it was bone chilling cold,it was a different kind of cold it gets down into your bones it felt like…I laughed my butt off watching my friend try and smoke that cigarette with his hand shaking violently and trying to talk when he was shivering to death

At Ednyville in the early 80's ( 81 -83 ) Ednyville was coached by David Gentry . There was no grass on the field only brown ice sticking up. I think it was about 10 degrees at kickoff with a strong wind. They had a running back by the name " Fat Cat " Worthy and Coach Colvin had talked all week about not letting one man beat you ! He carried it about 15 times in the first half for about 35 yards and about 3 times in the second half for -5 . He had all he wanted. His tears froze to his face by then end of the third quarter. I may be putting it on a little thick but we did shut him down and went on the next week to win our 4th straight 1A State Title. I sort of got off topic a little, sorry. Did I mention it was cold that night.

Mitchell at Avery 2011 3rd round. 3 degrees and windy.
Mitchell at Avery 2014 14 degrees and a heavy fog rolled in around halftime. Iced everything over. My father in laws ass froze to those aluminum seats lol.
Also the 2010 Mitchell at Avery snow bowl was wicked cold.
Its cold in Avery county anytime. Our kids from East can't play in that weather

Every game Swain played at Murphy before they built the new visitor bleachers and before they changed how the schedule rotates.
1989 JV football game against Swain at Murphy. Actually had snow flurries and my toes were still blue when I got home. 1992 game was also very cold. I was a captain for that game. After coming down from halftime my teeth were chattering when we went out to midfield and I was wearing thermal underwear under my uniform. It did seem like every Murphy/Swain game between 1986 and 1992 was brutally cold.

Some of yall never went to Owen in late round games and it shows.

For real though, those old Kenny Ford teams would be playing late into November and the visitors would have their back the Swannanoa River and those lakes behind the old stadium. That cold air coming off the water was bitter.

Bears field is located about 200 yards from Lovills Creek-COLD on Friday nights beginning in late Oct…remember that T-ville game…space heaters on the sidelines….we’ve had a bunch like that over the years…’05 at Murphy=FROZE!!!

I remember going to Owen when Thomasville played them in the western final in 1991…Owens coach had shorts on,but the cold didn’t affect us flatlanders to much we won 14-0 shutting out that Norte Dame Box offense,we were just a bunch of lint haired factory workers as coach Allen Brown said after the game
Some of yall never went to Owen in late round games and it shows.

For real though, those old Kenny Ford teams would be playing late into November and the visitors would have their back the Swannanoa River and those lakes behind the old stadium. That cold air coming off the water was bitter.

Reactions: ThsFans
Mitchell at Avery 2011 3rd round. 3 degrees and windy.
Mitchell at Avery 2014 14 degrees and a heavy fog rolled in around halftime. Iced everything over. My father in laws ass froze to those aluminum seats lol.
Also the 2010 Mitchell at Avery snow bowl was wicked cold.
I honestly think the 2014 game at Avery was the coldest I have ever been other than the Cherokee 2nd rd game on 2018 with the freezing rain lol

2018 Mitchell Cherokee 2nd rd at Mitchell Freezing Rain and snowing, rain was froze on my kids helmet after the game lol
I guess that the game I was thinking of there was a photo in the news paper Facebook you could see me at the top by myself holding the only umbrella I could had with me one of my daughters a dark shade of pink which made it stand out more 😂. But rain hit the umbrella and turn immediately to ice. Give me snow anytime over that.

2 stand out to me...The State title game at Kannapolis and the State title game against Newton-Conover. The last Wallace-Rose Hill game was cold too. The last game that comes to mind was a game either late 80s or early 90s against Hertford County in Ahoskie...it snowed all around Ahoskie but not at the game but it was frigid. I guess thats 4, not 2...

2 stand out to me...The State title game at Kannapolis and the State title game against Newton-Conover. The last Wallace-Rose Hill game was cold too. The last game that comes to mind was a game either late 80s or early 90s against Hertford County in Ahoskie...it snowed all around Ahoskie but not at the game but it was frigid. I guess thats 4, not 2...
Kannapolis without question. I was in the marching band. That’s the only game I can remember my lips freezing to my mouthpiece while I was playing it. So glad Tarboro won that game. If we had traveled all that way, froze our asses off and lost, it would have awful. At least when we lost to Newton-Conover, it was only a 1:30 ride there and back.

Kannapolis without question. I was in the marching band. That’s the only game I can remember my lips freezing to my mouthpiece while I was playing it. So glad Tarboro won that game. If we had traveled all that way, froze our asses off and lost, it would have awful. At least when we lost to Newton-Conover, it was only a 1:30 ride there and back.
2017 state title game it was snowing lol. I've heard it was bitterly cold that night at kannapolis sounds like the ice bowl

Reactions: Swain97
We put the Wonders on ice. That’s a fact.
The cannon was silent. To this day in my honest opinion that is the greatest defensive performance ever in a state football championship game in NC history. To hold the number one ranked team in 3A and one of the top teams in the state to 0 first downs on their home field is truly incredible

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT