ADVERTISEMENT

Clinton coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be a good option cause it’s about to get mid as mid can get in Clinton…….that attrition gonna be something else.
Lol western NC is nicer anyways and maiden is a nice small community that will do anything for its football team. One of the few places where tradition still means something. 🤣🤣 Nicest and newest school building in area nice stadium only thing we are missing is turf but I'm sure it will come soon just need county to finally ok it.

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
Lol western NC is nicer anyways and maiden is a nice small community that will do anything for its football team. One of the few places where tradition still means something. 🤣🤣 Nicest and newest school building in area nice stadium only thing we are missing is turf but I'm sure it will come soon just need county to finally ok it.
Must be nice we are a soccer school now

Yep doesn’t make a bit of sense and most places you go if the coach is doing well and building the program up admin does whatever to make coaches life easier not the opposite.

Think about it. Changing demographics typical soccer families have higher incomes and bring up values in the area. Unfortunately football families tend to have a lower income base. So basically you're looking at the big picture of not high school sports but area gentrifying

Reactions: dogs79
What do you think the administration should do. Corey has been testing the waters the last couple of years trying to see what's out there. He was never going to be here long term. He wants to move on to bigger programs so good for him. Football was here before he got here and it will be here after he is gone. Is what it is.
It’s a lot this petty ass administration should have done but I’m not going to get into it up here. I have heard it all now and definitely makes you look at some folks differently. They getting exactly what they want im just happy Cory gets to leave on his own terms and get what he and his family deserve. Clinton didn’t value him or his staff hopefully Marlboro County and anywhere else he goes will.

Reactions: drawplay000
Been reading this thread with interest since its beginning, but I have to ask, what examples do you have of "running off" this coach?

I am going to assume its heresay or things you have heard or been told if you are still away from the area but a comment like that only leads to more questions.

Its been well documented and everyone knows the pay differences between SC and NC in regards to coaching pay and supplements. Seems to me that and him moving back to that particular area was enough of a draw, or is that not the case?

Reactions: PackHorses
Well, it has definitely livened up these boards during what is usually a slow time.

Something to remember, this is still speculation as to the best of my knowledge, as nothing officially has been announced.

I also find Darkhorse34 comments pertaining to the next coach should Johnson leave, interesting. Based on the hints he provided, seems replacement shouldnt have to call a moving van but that is purely speculation on my part.

In any event, as has been the case since Johnson arrived, never a dull moment on these boards when it comes to Dark Horse Football.

Y'all really thought Cory Johnson was going to stay in Clinton after this year? I told the Clinton folks he didn't give a dang about Clinton. He recruited, still lost the state championship... so his saving face and running away. Marlboro County will think they have a gem until the Scotland county coach retires.

Y'all really thought Cory Johnson was going to stay in Clinton after this year? I told the Clinton folks he didn't give a dang about Clinton. He recruited, still lost the state championship... so his saving face and running away. Marlboro County will think they have a gem until the Scotland county coach retires.
Think it’s pretty well known about Scotland……no face to save no shame in losing to a team as good as that Reidsville team was(which also featured transfers) seems no one ever talks about that. He leaves Clinton with a solid resume.

Think it’s pretty well known about Scotland……no face to save no shame in losing to a team as good as that Reidsville team was(which also featured transfers) seems no one ever talks about that. He leaves Clinton with a solid resume.
And the fact is. If you going to win you got to “recruit”..and it’s a known fact or maybe just rumors that coach Johnson loves scotland ..marlboro
And scotland play every year ..and if one day the scotland job comes open he will leave because that’s where he wants to be not because the moneys better

Scotland is the big loser here. Bailey has Been looking to leave for several years. The Shrine Bowl has Kept him around another year, opening the door for Marlboro to Step In for Johnson. Scots will have a hard time paying him now to come back.

If this thread has shown anything it’s that DH34 speaks out of his ass! “Johnson’s not leaving, he’s at Track practice…oh it’s good for his family. The Clinton Administration is racist, they don’t want a black coach and only want soccer to thrive…oh the principals two white son’s have played for Johnson. The job has already been given to a candidate that will devastate DH football send your son’s elsewhere …oh, never mind it’s going to be a legit search now. The tennis coach makes more than the football coach at Clinton!” Bahahaha! Bro has some bad intel and no credibility. Stay in Florida and join FLPreps and tell everyone how good Johnson would be recruiting for Apopka HS

Well one thing bout me I own what I say I'm not hiding behind a screen name I have no problem answering for anything I say or post. I admitted being wrong earlier in the thread after the Richmond County thing fell thru and a conversation with Coach I felt confident we would atleast have him one more year when this thread popped up I thought it was BS just someone bored trying to stir the pot. Asked Coach about the rumors obviously a private conversation I’m not going to talk about everything that was said but his answer led me to believe what I previously thought he would remain in Clinton at least one more season. Seeing him at track practice and working on his upcoming camps at Clinton made me feel like he’s locked in here business as usual, then we talked again Saturday, once again won’t disclosed what we talked about but it was a lot you can read between the lines. So yes once again I was wrong not sure how many times I have to say that. Credibility? “Lol wow I was incorrect and spoke on a rumor to soon no one in the history of sports or life has made that mistake awww geez. Guess no one will ever believe a single thing I post on NC Preps anymore or take me seriously what will life be like now LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

And I stand on everything I said about the administration. Like someone posted above. Where there’s smoke there’s fire. I’m not the only one saying this.

Well one thing bout me I own what I say I'm not hiding behind a screen name I have no problem answering for anything I say or post. I admitted being wrong earlier in the thread after the Richmond County thing fell thru and a conversation with Coach I felt confident we would atleast have him one more year when this thread popped up I thought it was BS just someone bored trying to stir the pot. Asked Coach about the rumors obviously a private conversation I’m not going to talk about everything that was said but his answer led me to believe what I previously thought he would remain in Clinton at least one more season. Seeing him at track practice and working on his upcoming camps at Clinton made me feel like he’s locked in here business as usual, then we talked again Saturday, once again won’t disclosed what we talked about but it was a lot you can read between the lines. So yes once again I was wrong not sure how many times I have to say that. Credibility? “Lol wow I was incorrect and spoke on a rumor to soon no one in the history of sports or life has made that mistake awww geez. Guess no one will ever believe a single thing I post on NC Preps anymore or take me seriously what will life be like now LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

And I stand on everything I said about the administration. Like someone posted above. Where there’s smoke there’s fire. I’m not the only one saying this.
Well when I started this thread it was because of a rumor I heard from a very reliable source ..with very specific details.. was just trying to see if any Clinton fans had heard anything…we hear rumors all the time and some are true and some aren’t..Darkhorse#34 I appreciate your candor and your passion for your program ..never thought you lacked credibility ..you just commented on what you believed and your personal opionions…and like you with rumors..I dont believe it until I see it..born and raised in Marlboro county but live in Richmond now and I know there were people here that thought highly of coach Johnson and still do…not to sure richmond made the right choice but time will tell..but Darkhorse#34 I have enjoyed reading your comments and I can tell you are a die hard clinton fan

If this thread has shown anything it’s that DH34 speaks out of his ass! “Johnson’s not leaving, he’s at Track practice…oh it’s good for his family. The Clinton Administration is racist, they don’t want a black coach and only want soccer to thrive…oh the principals two white son’s have played for Johnson. The job has already been given to a candidate that will devastate DH football send your son’s elsewhere …oh, never mind it’s going to be a legit search now. The tennis coach makes more than the football coach at Clinton!” Bahahaha! Bro has some bad intel and no credibility. Stay in Florida and join FLPreps and tell everyone how good Johnson would be recruiting for Apopka HS
Exactly

• Haha
Well when I started this thread it was because of a rumor I heard from a very reliable source ..with very specific details.. was just trying to see if any Clinton fans had heard anything…we hear rumors all the time and some are true and some aren’t..Darkhorse#34 I appreciate your candor and your passion for your program ..never thought you lacked credibility ..you just commented on what you believed and your personal opionions…and like you with rumors..I dont believe it until I see it..born and raised in Marlboro county but live in Richmond now and I know there were people here that thought highly of coach Johnson and still do…not to sure richmond made the right choice but time will tell..but Darkhorse#34 I have enjoyed reading your comments and I can tell you are a die hard clinton fan
My comment wasn’t directed at you or ment to be negative it was for the one saying I'm up here talking out my ass just explaining my thought process thru this whole thing…..But I appreciate the post and sharing what you know/heard if anything like others have mention it fires up the boards some. At the end of the day it’s all speculation till a announcement is made.

And yes I’m a fan always will be despite how some try and spin it.

Last edited:

I don’t believe I’d stand on your earlier posts about knowing the last name a the DH future coach you said it so anyone could read between the lines. And DH football is doomed. (We’ve had successful football here for over 75 years) First of all it was completely wrong and non factual and secondly disrespectful.
As for Coach Johnson, he done a remarkable job in his 6 seasons here in Clinton, a very young man’s (still is) following a legend.
The Clinton administration did then what you say they should do now, they went out and hired a top defensive coordinator from one of the top 4A schools in the state. Coach Johnson has higher aspirations in coaching football than high school football , but he knows he’s got to work through the progressions and he’s built a firm establishment in working through those progressions. He’s getting what he’s got because he earned it his own self. My prediction for his future is by the time he’s still a young 45, we’ll all be saying, I remember when he coached high school football. I wish him the best as he goes through the progressions

Last edited:
Reactions: dogs79
No disrespect to anyone

This reminds me of what my granddad use to tell me when we went fishing years ago.

He would say son, No matter how flat you make a pancake it always has 2 sides.

One side may have strawberries, whipped cream and syrup. It looks super tasty and you gobble it all up but minutes later you head straight to the toilet. All that sweet stuff that looked good and tasty left you with an upset stomach. All you needed was just a little butter which represented the other side. Still good but more wholesome and pure and better for you. Don't get pulled in by the looks or what you assume. That's actually what the pancake you don't need tries to do but in tbe end upset stomach and weight gain.

I think you need a little butter seems like you love your sweets.

Ok like anyone one one us he is ultimately leaving cause another job offers more money and the some of professional growth.

Everything is peaches and cream admin is the best in the state they are all in school right now holding hands singing kumbaya my lord. End of story. Good night.

At the end of the day it’s all rumor and speculation till an announcement gets made think I read a story about something weird happening a couple years ago with them hiring. So I’ll leave it at that.

Interesting discussion and I'll throw in my $.02 about high school fb coaching in general in rural NC based on my years of follwing it:
-Rural high school coaching in NC is in fact in many ways a "good old boy" system. But also understand that those "good old boys" are just like the majority of teachers, administrators, staff, etc. at these schools. They often grew up there, maybe never left, or have been gone for years and want to come home. High school coaching in NC and in particular the rural areas is never going to be about the $$. And yes that means a tennis coach may make more than the football coach, in particular if he/she has been in the system more years and especially if they teach a STEM subject. -But "good old boys" does not necesarily equate to "not qualified" or "not the best fit for the job". Look around at the coaches in your area: how many of them, and lets focus on football and boy's basketball, either went to that school or another school in the immediate region? And to take it a step further, notice how many current Black head fb and bb coaches are native sons of their current program, and the pride they show in being "back home"? Familiarity and affinity with the community and for the program can go a long way in establishing a longterm, successful relationship.Point being, just b/c a coach has a prior relationship with the school or comunity does not mean that they were "given" the job, but perhaps that's the reason they are so passionate about wanting to be a part of it.
-Back to the money thing: many years ago I was a very small part of a prominent local high school's football coach search, and based on reputation we received applicants from a number of states. But as soon as they were told the salary, and that, oh by the way it would be real nice if you could teach 4 periods of freshman math, they declined to take it any further. They also were dissapointed to learn that while we had very strong fan support and a very active booster club, football was treated jsut like all other sports in terms of who got new uniforms, which coaches got sent to clinics, etc. Some applicants were used to having a separate booster club just for football with its own fundraising and "perks" for coaches and players, which would never fly where I was involved at the time.
So what you see with NC coaches who have higher, longterm aspirations in the coaching profrssion, many go to places like South Carolina where the money is in some cases much higher, and you many not even have to be on the faculty to be a coach (which I think is allowed for in NC now in some situations). Or, if you want a "better" quality of life, maybe you take coaching job in the NC mountains or at the coast (had a coach who took a job near the beach tell me some years ago that the good high school athletes in the coastal communities were all playing golf or tennis or out surfing, but at least he could smell the salt air from the practice field).
-In summary and making it Clinton-specific, sounds like the Dark Horses gave a very young 1st-time coach a tremendous opportunity, and he did a fantastic job with it. Small town, rural NC coaching has its charms but also its limitations, and you either accept that for the long haul, or in Coach Johnson's case you tweak the system, leave the product and the players you coached better for it (whether he leaves this year or 20 years from now), and everyone graciously moves forward and wishes all involved nothing but the best. And that's what I'll pass along as my wish for the good folk of Dark Horse nation and a fine, up-and-coming name in the biz, Coach Johnson.

Ok like anyone one one us he is ultimately leaving cause another job offers more money and the some of professional growth.

Everything is peaches and cream admin is the best in the state they are all in school right now holding hands singing kumbaya my lord. End of story. Good night.

At the end of the day it’s all rumor and speculation till an announcement gets made think I read a story about something weird happening a couple years ago with them hiring. So I’ll leave it at that.
Lol don’t remind me of that fiasco

@Darkhorse04 well said and thank you. At the end it’s no losers everyone seems to be getting what they want. Anything else it’s whatever I’m not speaking on it anymore. Sun will rise tomorrow and come August at 340 Indian Town Road football will be played we good Go Horses!!!!!

Interesting discussion and I'll throw in my $.02 about high school fb coaching in general in rural NC based on my years of follwing it:
-Rural high school coaching in NC is in fact in many ways a "good old boy" system. But also understand that those "good old boys" are just like the majority of teachers, administrators, staff, etc. at these schools. They often grew up there, maybe never left, or have been gone for years and want to come home. High school coaching in NC and in particular the rural areas is never going to be about the $$. And yes that means a tennis coach may make more than the football coach, in particular if he/she has been in the system more years and especially if they teach a STEM subject. -But "good old boys" does not necesarily equate to "not qualified" or "not the best fit for the job". Look around at the coaches in your area: how many of them, and lets focus on football and boy's basketball, either went to that school or another school in the immediate region? And to take it a step further, notice how many current Black head fb and bb coaches are native sons of their current program, and the pride they show in being "back home"? Familiarity and affinity with the community and for the program can go a long way in establishing a longterm, successful relationship.Point being, just b/c a coach has a prior relationship with the school or comunity does not mean that they were "given" the job, but perhaps that's the reason they are so passionate about wanting to be a part of it.
-Back to the money thing: many years ago I was a very small part of a prominent local high school's football coach search, and based on reputation we received applicants from a number of states. But as soon as they were told the salary, and that, oh by the way it would be real nice if you could teach 4 periods of freshman math, they declined to take it any further. They also were dissapointed to learn that while we had very strong fan support and a very active booster club, football was treated jsut like all other sports in terms of who got new uniforms, which coaches got sent to clinics, etc. Some applicants were used to having a separate booster club just for football with its own fundraising and "perks" for coaches and players, which would never fly where I was involved at the time.
So what you see with NC coaches who have higher, longterm aspirations in the coaching profrssion, many go to places like South Carolina where the money is in some cases much higher, and you many not even have to be on the faculty to be a coach (which I think is allowed for in NC now in some situations). Or, if you want a "better" quality of life, maybe you take coaching job in the NC mountains or at the coast (had a coach who took a job near the beach tell me some years ago that the good high school athletes in the coastal communities were all playing golf or tennis or out surfing, but at least he could smell the salt air from the practice field).
-In summary and making it Clinton-specific, sounds like the Dark Horses gave a very young 1st-time coach a tremendous opportunity, and he did a fantastic job with it. Small town, rural NC coaching has its charms but also its limitations, and you either accept that for the long haul, or in Coach Johnson's case you tweak the system, leave the product and the players you coached better for it (whether he leaves this year or 20 years from now), and everyone graciously moves forward and wishes all involved nothing but the best. And that's what I'll pass along as my wish for the good folk of Dark Horse nation and a fine, up-and-coming name in the biz, Coach Johnson.
Very good post, one other factor many do not realize administratively Clinton is one of the last of the city school systems. Unlike many schools it’s not part of a county school system. It is a very small system (5 schools) in a small city (8,320 population)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT