ADVERTISEMENT

Clinton coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coaching is at least 80% of the high school game. It’s painful to lose a quality coach but you can’t blame the guy if he leaves. A higher salary not only allows a higher standard of living but also allows a larger contribution to retirement not to mention planning for his kids education.

Back some 25 years ago we (NHHS) had an opening and many applicants. We picked the wrong one when we had the opportunity for one that turned out to be one of the best. Decision set the program back for years.

I agree that coaches are underpaid as well as the teachers. We can do better, maybe not SC level, but better.

I am a NC high school sports fan. I love football in SE NC. It’s a lot more fun, from a fan’s perspective, when WRH, Clinton, East Duplin, James Kenan, and SWO are playing well. If Coach Johnson does leave, I hope you find a good one.
All true some up here will relish in it and make it negative get ready for that. But I’ll honestly be happy for him and his family he’s worked hard he deserves it. Wether it’s this year next year or whenever I don’t think anyone expect him to stay in lil ole Clinton the next 20 years but definitely have appreciated what he has done not only on the football field but off it. Awesome Coach better person,mentor,and friend.

Reactions: CatScratchFever23
I’m no fan of seeing high school coaches get big pay while teachers continue to be under paid. My wife went to college 4 years to teach school and I made over twice what she did at retirement after 30 years. You can blame democrats and you can blame republicans. None of them have lifted a hand to really improve it. So we lose coaches to neighboring states.

I’m no fan of seeing high school coaches get big pay while teachers continue to be under paid. My wife went to college 4 years to teach school and I made over twice what she did at retirement after 30 years. You can blame democrats and you can blame republicans. None of them have lifted a hand to really improve it. So we lose coaches to neighboring states.
I didn’t address the teacher pay Otis. I am with you. Teachers deserve more now than ever. Argument against would be there are fewer coaches but I wouldn’t agree with that position.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio tarheels
Judging by a video posted earlier Coach seems fully engaged in track workouts/practice doesn’t look like someone packing up and leaving town anytime soon.

Judging by a video posted earlier Coach seems fully engaged in track workouts/practice doesn’t look like someone packing up and leaving town anytime soon
Well he interviewed Wednesday ..assistant coaches contacted that he wants to hire..why interview if you ain’t going anywhere. New super and principal running the show since Bailey interviews. He’s gone. ..hate it for Clinton but a great hire for mc

Reactions: daagoob
Smart man. Bailey was hired there until he wasn’t.
He’s going to look even better in that mc black and gold …new super and the new principal use to be AD at scotland..they have history …so if he’s talking another job he’s going to stop doing the job he’s presently being paid to do?

Judging by a video posted earlier Coach seems fully engaged in track workouts/practice doesn’t look like someone packing up and leaving town anytime soon.
Same thing the Mount Airy people said on 1A boards about their coach. Why would a coach stop doing his duties just because he is looking for another job/has been approved by the other system for the job. When you start looking for another job, do you just pack up your desk and leave or do you make sure all your ducks are in a row first? Plus, if he has a good relationship with everyone at the school, why would he want to burn those bridges?

Let me ask a question?
Was the Clinton Coach interviewed for a new job Wednesday?
Do you know where he was interviewed?

Same thing the Mount Airy people said on 1A boards about their coach. Why would a coach stop doing his duties just because he is looking for another job/has been approved by the other system for the job. When you start looking for another job, do you just pack up your desk and leave or do you make sure all your ducks are in a row first? Plus, if he has a good relationship with everyone at the school, why would he want to burn those bridges?
Read some comments above they were saying it’s a done deal and he was gonna be gone by the 20th this was suppose to be his last week. Just pointing out looks like business as usual here.

And with spring around the corner think you want to get down there and get started…….and for Clinton you would want to get started on finding a replacement.

Read some comments above they were saying it’s a done deal and he was gonna be gone by the 20th this was suppose to be his last week. Just pointing out looks like business as usual here.
I never said this week. He WAS down there this week. But to interview…School
Board won’t meet til next week at the earliest …he’s already contacted some Dillon coaches ..at least 2 are coming..this isn’t like a McDonalds hiring process..they have steps they have to take ..and as far as business as usual ..he’s still employed there why wouldn’t he continue doing his job ? I mean until a contract is signed nothings official

Reactions: footballstar_17
I never said this week. He WAS down there this week. But to interview…School
Board won’t meet til next week at the earliest …he’s already contacted some Dillon coaches ..at least 2 are coming..this isn’t like a McDonalds hiring process..they have steps they have to take ..and as far as business as usual ..he’s still employed there why wouldn’t he continue doing his job ? I mean until a contract is signed nothings official
Not talking about you read some of the other comments. And excuse me for being skeptical but majority of information off preps about Clinton staff/dealings this past year hasn’t been the most reliable majority of the times just half assed attempts at trolling.

Not talking about you read some of the other comments. And excuse me for being skeptical but majority of information off preps about Clinton staff/dealings this past year hasn’t been the most reliable majority of the times just half assed attempts at trolling.
Oh I understand …we were hearing Johnson’s name mentioned before the previous coach was let go…you hear rumors after the fact but seldom before..the new principal at MC was at one time the AD at Scotland and so him and coach Johnson had at least a working history. MC at one time was one hell of a football program .. 2 undefeated state championships ..numberous lower state appearances and too many region championships to list. The last 2 hires were “who you know not what you know hires “. Two years ago Bailey from Scotland was “hired” but the night of the school board meeting the school board did some back stabbing and hired a “local” who wasn’t even in the final 3 interviewed..so here we are after another 4 win season with 3 games having a running clock on us…the new powers that be want to try to rebuild what they once had…and I think we would lucky if we are able to get coach Johnson..

All those kids he brought in and never won a state championship. Good luck. Hopefully clinton gets back to winning state championships the way they used to. With local homegrown talent.

Reactions: olddog77 and dogs79
I don't have a dog in this fight but seems like someone told me in the past that there's a rule that if a Coach moves to another school they can't take any of their players with them am I wrong or did somebody tell me wrong ??

I know of some instances where an assistant in SC makes more than a head coach in NC. Not surprised to see another good coach head south if this is the case

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Yeah, ask people in the community if they love him lol. Great recruiter, bad game day coach.
The interactions I’ve had with some fans from Clinton is they love the man ..great coach even better man..sure seems like he loves those kids ..not many would take the time and effort to try and get those kids scholarships like he does… look at his social media..” great coach ,mentor. Counselor, teacher and father figure. So seems like they love the man
Yeah, ask people in the community if they love him lol. Great recruiter, bad game day coach.

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
I know of some instances where an assistant in SC makes more than a head coach in NC. Not surprised to see another good coach head south if this is the case
Not sure what he makes at Clinton ..but he will make around 100000 at MC
Hearing all the stories from former players about how they had to basically do all the work when it came to recruiting and getting looks it’s nice to see a coach go the extra mile.

And as far as kids leaving I heard a name of a coach who Clinton was supposedly interested in bringing in if Johnson had left for Richmond and I don’t blame a single kid if they bolt. Cause nothing about the coach besides his last name was impressive. Definitely not his record.
was hearing coach hunt would get a look

Yeah definitely hard to say no to that. Saw Coach Quinn McCollum made like 109,000 in 2022 not sure if his AD duties had anything to do with that aswell.

Yeah definitely hard to say no to that. Saw Coach Quinn McCollum made like 109,000 in 2022 not sure if his AD duties had anything to do with that aswell.
Yes the ad salary was included …the first thing I heard weeks ago was 100 just coaching and 110 if ad and coach. But the word is they may separated the 2 jobs now…Quinn actually still is AD until his contract runs out in July ..then they will make a decision

And I have no problem admitting I was wrong….dead wrong I caught a crack back block today and they definitely got me good. I’ll have more to speak on once it’s official but all I can do is shake my head at the things I learned. If you genuinely care about Clinton football you should be concerned. And at the end of the day the real losers and people that’s gonna suffer is the kids……smh that’s all I can do.
If any of the families need a fresh start...they are building a 300 house development here in Maiden 🤣🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT