ADVERTISEMENT

Cherokee @ Robbinsville

Thatoneguy...

Feb 20, 2014
The newly crowned state champions, Cherokee, come back into conference play tonight. This could be an epic year for Cherokee athletics. After many years at the bottom of the rung on the gridiron and compensating that athleticism onto the hardwood; they come into this year winners. They return to the basketball fold after a long, successful and historic football campaign. This of course is foreign to a program used to lacing up b-ball shoes at the end of October. They bring that same athleticism back to the court with enough swag left over to push them right into basketball. Cherokee dropped their open season game to perennial power and 2a rival Smoky. It was not a bad showing for Cherokee, keeping pace with Smoky most of the game. Football fatigue will still linger on for the coming weeks but nothing a few more games wont help fix.
They come to R'ville tonight who have grown accustomed to long football seasons but more recently fallen on hard times on the hardwood. R'ville lost their rock in Long, who played since Freshman year. However this year they bring back Wachacha from the mat to the court. His first game back @ Hayesville showed he isn't quite up to b-ball speed yet but drained several shots near the end of the game. R'ville isn't the most blessed shooting team and at this point will not run you out of the gym draining shots. They do however play with a lot of emotions and energy. They will scrap to the end, it is just getting to the end that is the issue. They cannot answer quickly to scoring runs and need to find some offensive explosion. Unlike football where we imposed our might on defense and held on with little offensive help, basketball is the opposite. Defense will not be the biggest factor in making a decent run in the conference. It will be their intensity, emotion and offensive execution that will benefit them the most.
Prediction: My prediction for tonight is a Cherokee win. At this point even after a long year of football, Cherokee still has better shooters and boys dedicated to b-ball. Those who dedicated themselves to b-ball can share some of that workload as their football talent readjust to the game. Lossiah runs XC so he should be in pretty good shape to run the offense. It also shouldn't take long for Strahaugn and Mintz to regain some of their scoring prowess. Cherokee could win by as little 7 or as much as 20+.
Questions/Concerns: R'ville needs keep it close early on and take advantage of their size with Adams, Crowe, Bradley and Orr all over 6 ft. Last week after 9-0 run from Hayesville, R'ville could not hit a shot and the lead continued to grow (as did the foul count). They can make it a game as many of our Snowbird Cherokee play harder against the Cherokee from Qualla. My question for Cherokee is Justus Day. Is he back? I scrolled through the photos the One Feather posted and he was not in any of them. He is not listed on Cheorkee's roster for Maxpreps but is listed on his roster for "Nishobi?". Is he being saved or did he transfer late and having to sit a few games? If he isn't playing it doesn't change my game predictions but does change my conference prediction.

Last edited:
I want to know how Cherokee did against Smky Mtn last night. I know Cherokee girls lost but I haven’t seen anything about the boys game ?

Easy win last night , almost toyed with Robbinsville and felt like it could of been 120 to whatever. Cherokee will be as deep and talented as any smc team I can remember .

Easy win last night , almost toyed with Robbinsville and felt like it could of been 120 to whatever. Cherokee will be as deep and talented as any smc team I can remember .
Yeah it was a really pathetic showing for R'ville. Cherokee was quicker and like always a pesky, scrappy little bunch. They are not always the biggest but they play open and free. Didn't see much offense for both teams but unlike us, Cherokee flows together. I understand it was a blowout and honestly Cherokee was trying to play a competitive game but R'ville just didn't match. There was too many selfish plays and one player trying to take on 5. It is scary to know this is a Cherokee team that does not even have (IMO) their best player. Hogner is a young coach and the kids seem to respect him but I noticed too much horseplay on the bench. At one point I seen Evans sitting behind the bench talking to Day. I understand the game was never close but you have players sitting on each others laps, granted Cherokee has a deep roster but some boys were dressed in street clothes sitting on the bench. I pretty sure i am reading into it a little much but much like Marshawn Lynch dancing on the sidelines during a game, it was hard to watch Cherokee's bench. Oh well, we should of played better and then maybe I'd have an argument. R'ville tried to match Cherokees "open gym" style of play. No plays called, no timeouts to try and stop a run. It honestly was like going to watch a pick up game. I was just waiting for players to start calling their own fouls. Cherokee was too good. And like I stated, if Robbinsville couldn't keep up, Cherokee would win by 20+.

I don’t know the final I left early in the 3rd when cherokee emptied the bench. Cherokee was up 25 or 30

Hate to hear that rosman!! As far as kids bein kids on tha sideline or bench!! I don't mind a LITTLE foolin around but to much is to much!! It's good to build a relation with your players but they have got to know tha difference between coach and friend!! Sucks we're on to another coach, if he's here after this year I'll be surprised!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT