ADVERTISEMENT

Cherokee loses to Murphy

Mont1963

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2013
Tough loss. Led 6-0 at half. Blew another couple of opportunities in first half. Second half different story. Braves never got it together. No running game. Had good passing game. Probably should have passed more. Lost their focus after Murphy went up. Couldn't tackle.

Let's face it. With lots of freshmen and sophomores playing both ways, there's not much of a chance against a team like Murphy. They just keep running in fresh players.

Go Braves Go!!

Tough loss. Led 6-0 at half. Blew another couple of opportunities in first half. Second half different story. Braves never got it together. No running game. Had good passing game. Probably should have passed more. Lost their focus after Murphy went up. Couldn't tackle.

Let's face it. With lots of freshmen and sophomores playing both ways, there's not much of a chance against a team like Murphy. They just keep running in fresh players.

Go Braves Go!!
The radio guys said Cherokee dressed about 36 players. That's a lot for Cherokee. They said Murphy dressed about 46 tonight. Murphy has more players this year than they have had in a while but they still have a lot of players playing both ways. What hurts Cherokee the most is having their QB playing defense. He's good there too but you never like your QB playing both ways. The braves will be tough the next few years if they can keep their team together.

Wish we would have thrown more second half but Murphy did a great job of stopping the run ...

I think as far as our qb goes heck he is one of our best defensive players too.. Looked like he made 15 or more tackles tough to sit him ...

I think as far as our qb goes heck he is one of our best defensive players too.. Looked like he made 15 or more tackles tough to sit him ...

Agree! He has to be there on defense, but it wears on him. (Would wear on anybody!)

Wish we would have thrown more second half but Murphy did a great job of stopping the run ...
Well it's hard to pass the ball effectively in wet conditions. Cherokee might have been able to keep it much closer on a dry field. Good luck the rest of the season. Still plenty of time left for your braves to make some noise!

There is alot to be proud of in Cherokee good young football team . That qb is gonna be a nightmare to deal with until he graduates . Such poise for such a young kid , the future is very bright in Cherokee .

Have read where the Braves played the Bulldogs pretty tough last night, especially the first half....Just wondering about the crowd last night on the Reservation, and how the weather affected the attendance for both teams?..... Do folks over there seem to be pretty excited about this Braves' team?

Sounds as though the Mintz kid is a player on both sides of the ball, which makes it tough to sit him down, but it is a concern that we in Rosman know all too well about, having lost our starting QB and Safety in the Brevard game....Tough decision to make, but you can't be scared to play em' either?

As for the Bulldogs, when you've got a couple studs like Kent and McCrae, it's hard to bottle those two guys up for very long, and seems like that was the case once again last night?

Murphy is the favorite right now for sure, no doubt!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Murphy folks just don't get it. As you can tell with that comment. "Don't Play QB both ways". okay thanks for telling us. I will call the coach and tell him.

We all would love to be able to do that with our QB and many others, but in the end we don't have the numbers like Murphy does.

BK, zip it. nothing to do with you and you crying around about numbers. Braves played very solid last night. As was pointed out earlier, once Murphy went up the Braves seemed to fade. Murphy came out a different team in the 2nd half, which I am sure after a stern talking too from Gentry. One point that hasn't been made yet on this thread is just how young the Bulldogs are too. These two teams are gonna have some battles over the next few seasons.

Mintz was a stud and the receivers made some plays and the line man are very strong. I think a huge hole in The Braves team is the lack of a kicker. Several missed opportunities for redone points and always going for 2 will bite you in the butt in close games. Overall a solid game which saw things snowball in the 2nd half. Hopefully we will get another dose in the playoffs. Great effort from both teams.

Reactions: mbdfan
Agreed Cherokee has nothing to hang their heads about. That team will be a very tough out come playoff time.

Attendance was good but not great from either side looks like a lot people didn't want to chance the weather. But a well played game that I think was 14-6 with 6 or7 min left... The Murphy qb had one heck of an arm bet he was throwing it flatfooted 60 yards in warmups

Cherokee came out ready to play ! At halftime with Murphy down I told some friends we think we got a good team and the 2nd half will let us know if we were right. Dogs showed poise and got It going with 27 consecutive points. Dalton Kent stepped it up like a senior qb should and either passed or ran for all 4 tds the 2nd half. Braves are for real and will be a problem to deal with the next coupla seasons. Crowd was actually better than I expected with a complete deluge all day in Murphy.

From experience...

QB playing D is a matter of risk-reward. If that kid's defensive play outweighs the possible drawbacks, you play him over there.

Jesse Kirchner in 02, Cort McKeon in 05, Luke Charles in 06 all played full time D.

Reactions: mbdfan
The qb from rville was a beast defensive player... They kind of held him out of d the first two weeks but he hadn't come off the field and I don't know if he can .. Not real sure which is his better position qb or fs... 5 for us is gonna be really good .. There is some very good young talent on the field for both teams last night ..

Murphy folks just don't get it. As you can tell with that comment. "Don't Play QB both ways". okay thanks for telling us. I will call the coach and tell him.

We all would love to be able to do that with our QB and many others, but in the end we don't have the numbers like Murphy does.
If Murphy's numbers were anywhere near the big deal that you make them out to be then no way rville wins state or beats Murphy twice last year. Do we really have to hear this every year? Your team won state last year so why can't you just be happy and give it a rest?

Friday is just a stepping stone. The playoffs is all that matters.

Friday is just a stepping stone. The playoffs is all that matters.
That's right. But the winner Friday is in the driver's seat for home field advantage, and we both know the last place rville wants to play a playoff game is on the Hill.

Reactions: ncvol2381
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT