ADVERTISEMENT

Area Picks Week 2

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
East Surry at MA

Game of the year already for most people around here.. Not much more to say. MA has the athleticism but their line is young. East meanwhile has the experience but isn’t as athletic as MA is. Something is going to have to give here. East’s experience is going to be hard for MA to overcome when it comes to shove. MA”s backfield will be East’s best pre-season test; if they manage to shut MA down running it then East is for real. If MA hangs around and it stays close going into the 2nd half then it’ll show East has faults. Question is can Lowman manage to inspire the boys to play up and from behind if it happens? It hasn’t happened very much in recent years and it’s hard to say how they will respond to it.

MA is looking to be the force moving forward again the next few years taking East’s mantle away. Question is can the Cards rise for the bell and prevent it for at least a year. If they don’t an era will be coming to an end in a lot of ways.

I think East’s experience and line size will be enough to win out; but very hard to top that speed MA has. Very few teams around the west will be able to in 1A. East is probably sighing a breathe of belief at the fact they don’t have to worry about it in November.

West Wilkes at Elkin

In a game that was killed by covid last year; this is one that is going to be truly interesting to see fold out. The Blackhawks went down last week but put up a hell of a fight vs East Wilkes at home. It was a new generation debut for the blackhawks: new Cleveland Brown looking uniforms (pretty nice by the way!) and a midfield logo for the first time in ages. East Wilkes didn’t have an easy win but they pulled it out. However West has reasons for optimism moving forward. Elkin meanwhile flat out had omlet on their faces after an embarrassing loss in Hays to the new look Vikings. NW put the game away super early with a 29 point barrage and never looked back as their RB ran all over Elkin with ease. It never got any better in the Scott Wood tribute game for the Elks who desperately need a break.

This is Elkin’s first home game and only one of three for a solid month; couldn’t have picked a worse opener. This one will be an interesting test to see how far West has grown in terms of mental consistency and strength as they are back in the Wing T again. Last year on JV Elkin got the ball ran down their throat constantly to a solid loss despite having chances to make it close. I don’t expect a close one here due to Elkin’s lack of a run defense but I’ve seen stranger situations occur between these two.

Surry Central at East Wilkes

The Ronda Cards pulled out a W despite a rather ineffective offensive performance last week. West held the Cards to just 2 TD’s and a field goal despite East having it for more plays and getting more first downs. Hard to tell if it’s due to West being much improved or East just being that sluggish on offense. Regardless it shows the rivalry is still strong there between those two teams. SC meanwhile epically collapsed upon theirselves really hard last week letting Alleghany come back from the dead multiple times very, very to a last second win. SC’s lax defense struck again in a very hard way late.

This week it’s East’s return home for their home opener in another edition of these two’s rivalry dating back decades in what I call in this case the Jonathan Wilmoth Tribute Game. On paper this doesn’t look close as East has the talent and the experience edge; however they can’t find consistency to save their lives. This isn’t the week to let go because SC’s offense isn’t one to sleep on. East needs to find a way to stay consistent or an upset is always possible here.

Starmount at CSD

In what started out as a beautiful debut turned into a nightmare super fast as the Rams got big headed then destroyed by East Surry. The Rams just wasn’t ready to handle that onslaught and it showed. However it’s a new week and one they are super ready im sure to move on to. They face the long trek to the top of Mecklenburg county to play CSD. Last year when these two teams met Starmount surprised everyone to a solid win despite CSD looking much better beforehand. This year CSD looks like the favorite again however it would be foolish to overrun the Rams. CSD played an awful Bessemer City squad; looks can be deceiving. CSD’s always struggled versus physical teams (I know that from experience lol.)

CSD’s weakness has always been physicality granted they have gotten better over time. Starmount just has too many big dudes for the Spartans to handle. CSD will give the Rams a chance to shut down a wide open offense fully. Question is can they finally rise to the occasion to do it or not?

Forbush at Trinity

The opener proved to be a fun night for anyone who isn’t a fan of Forbush. The big bullies of the block who have had a lot of people’s numbers the past 3 years got a taste of their own medicine from North Forsyth, who upset the Falcons in a lot of people’s minds. However when push came to shove the game showed a lot of the Falcons flaws quite early. Offensively they had no dominant player instead it was all spread along several kids. The QB showed out early but the rushing numbers just wasn’t that dominant for what Forbush has been the past few years. Time will tell if it’s a omen for challenges ahead or just due to North Forsyth playing well.

Up this week is a much improved Trinity squad who makes the long haul up from Randolph county. Last year the Falcons flat out humiliated the Bulldogs down their way to a 50+ landslide as the Bulldogs youth just couldn’t hang. This year the Bulldogs have improved quite a bit; they destroyed Chatham Central who they barely beat by 10 last year. I seen them in person at South Stokes 2 weeks back and they looked much more impressive last year. I felt they were rather soft on the line last year; but they took it to Starmount well. In fact they caught them sleeping with some deep balls they weren’t expecting. They had some speed in the secondary they didn’t have last year.

This game might be way more interesting than we all are expecting. Forbush has struggled a lot versus speed and the pass in the past; and if a team has both then it puts them at a disadvantage. Much like the main event this game will come down to the trenches and I think Forbush is better there. However if this one is close then I won’t be surprised.

Bishop at South Stokes

In what has been a fun and even filtered rivalry between these two; another edition will take off in Sauratown Friday.

Last week South came to King and overperformed from what many (including me,) expected. They managed to have the ball for way longer than South did and ran more plays which is something they never came close to managing last year. However they just couldn’t make the most of their opportunities like West did and they fell despite it. Bishop meanwhile got epically humiliated and beat by what looks to be an 8 Man Football program just making a transition upward.. Yeah.

This shouldn’t be much of a contest. South should win by as much as they want to here.

North Stokes at North Moore

The Danbury Vikings have the unpleasant drive of having to drive for hours down to Moore county to play one of the best 1A programs in the state. All I can say is.. ykes.

Wilkes Central at Avery County

Needless to say the Eagles laid an egg last week up on the mountain. They started off decently well but post halftime was embarrassing for them. The third quarter in particular was awful as they gave up 22 points; they made a comeback in the 4th but it was too little, too late. WC struggled badly on defense as their tackling was awful all night especially in the 2nd half; that 80 yard TD run by Ashe’s RB in the 2nd half was brutal for WC. The obsessive arm tackling was embarrassing; he just spun them off and kept running. Just bad coaching all around on defense from top to bottom.

Avery meanwhile is much like WC. They have talent at the school but they just can’t seem to put it together. They did play a decrepitly good game last week as they took a scoreless first half vs Cherryville but fell off in the 4th to let it slip. This game will show a lot for both teams but on paper it shouldn’t be close. WC has way more athletes and should shine here. But ultimately it will come down to if WC’s line can handle Avery’s or not. That was their weakpoint last year.

If not then it will be a rough year for the Eagles as the Foothills have several squads with big lines.

Ashe County at North Wilkes

The Huskies are sitting pretty after a surprise week one dominating win over WC, while North Wilkes won with ease last week in Hays over Elkin. Both teams got revenge for last year’s close losses; now both look to discover some momentum moving forward. Last year’s game was a last minute single point affair in which Ashe escaped with a win, their one W of the covid short season. Both teams want a win here badly.

This one was a hard one to pick for sure. NW has a lot of momentum and has possibly one of the best running backs in the area, but their defense hasn’t been fully proven yet. Ashe meanwhile has to prove themselves even more going forward due to many labeling them bad. Their defense didn't look that impressive after that first game but then again it was against WC who is always fast and hard to handle. I’d easily rate them as more of a challenge over Elkin.

Honestly this one can go either way. NW is at home and that’s an advantage. Neither has the QB edge. RB wise NW’s is better but Ashe’s isn’t a slouch. Line wise that’s hard to judge overall. Defensive wise the same. In close games it can certainly come to coaching and I think Hampton’s the better HC of the two. NW’s coach takes a lot of risks and gimmicks and it bites him in the butt a lot. They’ve lost games due to his choices before, and eventually that will come back to bite an HC hard.

I wouldn’t be surprised for a NW win though. NW’s won on JV in the dying MVAC days vs Ashe, a win here wouldn’t be unexpected by me.

Alleghany at Grayson Co, VA

Time for another edition of this annual rivalry. Alleghany won a thriller at home last year over a very similar Grayson team. This year I expect another close one these two always bring the best out of each other. That being said I still see Alleghany the favorite here. Don't know much about Grayson besides their #'s not being great most years. The Trojans are much improved and play solid physical ball. This one very may well come down to the last whistle but Alleghany showed last week they aren't scared of that.

Last edited:
Forsyth/Rockingham Games:

Mount Tabor at North Forsyth

Carver at Atkins

In what has grown to be a solid short area rivalry these two are playing for a lot more than a W. They are competing for talent. These two plus WS Prep and Walkertown are all very close. It’s honestly a shame WSP can’t play Atkins as well; it would be one very fun 4 way rivalry. Whoever wins each year would have the edge for the talent. On field wise it’s hard to judge both teams because the two scores was exactly the same 27-0 shutout losses. Atkins played a young and not at the level Walkertown team, while Carver played North Moore one of the best 1A teams in the east. Big difference.

I do think this one will be quite close because both have a lot to prove; Carver just has more program momentum right now.

Walkertown at Lexington

Walkertown struggled last week vs Atkins which I low key expected but was still surprised with. Needless to say the Wolfpack’s in a rebuilding period after the McKoy folly. They don’t have the easiest schedule this year so they must make the most out of what they have now. Lexington’s landscape is still nuked and in rebuild mode. Walkertown should have a better go this week.

WS Prep at Lake Norman Charter
Bartlett Yancy at McMichael
Morehead at Rockingham County
Reidsville
at Page

Forsyth/Rockingham Games:

Mount Tabor at North Forsyth

Carver at Atkins

In what has grown to be a solid short area rivalry these two are playing for a lot more than a W. They are competing for talent. These two plus WS Prep and Walkertown are all very close. It’s honestly a shame WSP can’t play Atkins as well; it would be one very fun 4 way rivalry. Whoever wins each year would have the edge for the talent. On field wise it’s hard to judge both teams because the two scores was exactly the same 27-0 shutout losses. Atkins played a young and not at the level Walkertown team, while Carver played North Moore one of the best 1A teams in the east. Big difference.

I do think this one will be quite close because both have a lot to prove; Carver just has more program momentum right now.

Walkertown at Lexington

Walkertown struggled last week vs Atkins which I low key expected but was still surprised with. Needless to say the Wolfpack’s in a rebuilding period after the McKoy folly. They don’t have the easiest schedule this year so they must make the most out of what they have now. Lexington’s landscape is still nuked and in rebuild mode. Walkertown should have a better go this week.

WS Prep at Lake Norman Charter
Bartlett Yancy at McMichael
Morehead at Rockingham County
Reidsville
at Page
Mt. Tabor by as many as they want.

Thanks for doing this Slash. On my way to Surry County back from the coast to watch this one tonight. Agree with most of your picks. Think ES handles business tonight.

I think North will beat Ashe. They are on the up and up and Ashe won’t have the success they had against central.

I actually think Avery beats WC. The eagles are just not a good team. They are not very well coached and have gotten worse every year for a while. How you give up 600 yards and 48 points to a team that went 1-9 last year and replaced its QB is mind boggling. No excuse that school should be that bad with the athletes they have in their halls.

Good luck to your hounds tonight!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT