ADVERTISEMENT

Bishop McGuinness girls repeat doubtful

All-out_34

Feb 5, 2012
Salisbury, NC
For the last 8 years Bishop McGuinness has been atop the 1A girls come playoff time. Looking and watching these girls this year, and the pressure on them to repeat for a 9th time, I can't see it happening. Brian Robinson, a good a coach and leader as he is, has his worst record in over 5 years right now, at 10-6. His girls are 3-3 in conference, and looks like they will get a very low seed in the playoffs this year. Three of the five starters average double figures, but this doesn't look like an Bishop team I've seen in years! Will the Villains run at the top end this year?

I'd be wary of going down this road right now, as this is not the first time that folks have counted them out. Mount Airy fans & players from 2012-13 are still having nightmares about their would-be championship season ending at home in round two in one of the more jaw dropping upsets I've ever seen.

That said, given the depth and talent of the 1A this year, I'd call it 'unlikely' that they'll claim the title this year. They're talented enough to be competitive with just about everybody in the state, which makes them exceedingly dangerous in a one game playoff, but they've been unable to get over the hump in in just about all of their big games thus far and there's been little to suggest that will change.

In short, there's just enough glimpses to know not to count them out, but your eyes tell you there's also enough holes to where someone will finally put them down.

Not to nitpick all-out but they're going for 10 not 9th. Again the bishop girls have only won their conference once since 2009 but they are mentally very strong come playoff time and combine mental toughness with a brutal conference and a brutal non-conference schedule they will still be a very tough out.

I would have to agree. In fact I have been watching their record this year and really not even thinking twice about it. Nobody in 9 yrs has been able to beat them when it counts. I would live for my albemarle bulldogs to be the ones to finally beat them in the playoffs but coach Robinson will have them ready no doubt. That team will not beat themselves most definitely.

Until somebody beats them when it counts they are still the favorite in my eyes. No disrespect to anybody else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT