ADVERTISEMENT

Best NCISAA Football Players you have seen in person 8-man or 11-man

Bandit_9

Dec 7, 2001
To steal some thunder from some of the other boards (2A Football) I thought it might be nice to get some opinions on players from our leagues on here:

In no particular order (just numbered for convenience
1. Kid from Halifax in the early nineties that played running back I think his name was Bobby - can't recall the last name, but will update when it comes to me.

2. Cody Hale RB from Hobgood - One of the fastest kids I've seen

3. Greg Bunch - QB and LB from Enfield - nearly knocked me out in a game in 1994

4. Curtis Carr - RB and LB from Harrells - played both sides of the ball as good as just about anyone.

5. Jeff Hobbs - RB from Harrells - played on the 1993 championship team fast and was tough to bring down, also very elusive running style.

6. Nick Kukulinski - RB and LB from Harrells - played on two 11-man championship teams and was a bull.

7. Brick Crowder - QB and LB from Parrott - one of the toughest defenders I've ever seen. Racked up a ton of tackles in a losing cause during 2005 championship. No matter where we ran, he found a way to be there for the tackle.

8. Wesley Wilson - RB from Harrells - one of the most talented athletes I'ver ever seen with very fast wheels.

9. Maurice Marley - RB from Trinity - only saw him play jv ball, but had a ton of talent. No telling what this kid would have done, the sky was the limit.

10. Kid from Hobgood in 1993 played running back. I think his first name was Eddie. He was tough and fast. Gave us our only loss during our championship campaign in the first game of the year. Certainly would have been tough to beat them in the championship had they defeated N.E.W. Academy in the semifinals.

These are all the players I could think of off the top of my head. While I have left some schools out that had very good players, and some that I know of, but didn't see play, this list was compiled to get some conversation on the board.

1. Kid from Halifax was Bobby Martin. He is now a deputy sheriff for Halifax County.

3. Greg Bunch got married this past November and lives about a mile from me. He was a super athlete in football. basketball and baseball.

5. Don't remember Jeff Hobbs that well but do remember a running back from Southampton named Brian Hobbs (1996-1998)as the best running back I have seen in 8-man.

Kukulinki, Crowder, Perry Cotton form Wake Christian ( 1993-1995), Bunch and Brent Hamill among the best defensive players that come to mind.

Kid in 1993 from Hobgood may have been Todd Scott( #39) Another great all around player.

Best QB in my opinion was Will Rumbold from Harrells. Hobbs (Southampton), Kevin Taylor (Lawrence 1992), Todd Scott, Tony Hill from Parrott, Tony Robinson (Halifax) were among the best ar RB.

I forgot about Tony Hill from Parrott. He was definitely one of the top backs I faced during my playing days. You may be right about Todd Scott - it was the first game of my junior year and I don't remember his name, but he was good. That number sounds familiar.

the reason bandit doesn't remember a lot of those names is because he probably had several concussions in his day. i mean dude would go home pop a bunch of advil, sleep til 1-2 in the pm and then pop more advil.
poster that said the dumbo, er rumbo kid was the best qb should note his passing stats were sabatoged. the stat man back then only gave him "credit" for passing yards from the "los" to point of reception. all "yac" were credited as rushing yardage.

I never popped Advil, but I can admit to waking up 2:00-3:00 p.m. in the afternoon on Saturdays. The worst I ever felt was after playing Enfield Academy after suffering a slight concussion thanks to Greg Bunch. The day after the Parrott games were usually tough too. And Cool_J we can't forget the night at your place after the game at Wilson Christian. That was a rough night as well...having to get your teeth wired back to where they are supposed to be is not fun. I am a huge advocate for the boxing style "double" mouthpiece.

The Waters kid that played on the 2003 team at Lawrence was a heck of an athlete as well.

Bob Hardison, Brandon Lanier, and Bryan Everett from Hobgood early to mid 90's. Bunch was good at Enfield as well.

Originally posted by eastern:

Best QB in my opinion was Will Rumbold from Harrells. Hobbs (Southampton), Kevin Taylor (Lawrence 1992), Todd Scott, Tony Hill from Parrott, Tony Robinson (Halifax) were among the best ar RB.

Thanks for the compliment, Eastern. I had much help though in the backfield my sophomore and junior years.

Originally posted by GOLF66:
Bob Hardison, Brandon Lanier, and Bryan Everett from Hobgood early to mid 90's. Bunch was good at Enfield as well.

That was the era that I played in 92-94 and don't remember names, but I do know that Hobgood had a very good team in 1993 and probably should have won it all that year. I can't even remember the guys from Hobgood that I played with in the NC/SC All-Star game in 1994. Everett does sound familiar. I guess Cool_J is right in that I had too many concussions...

see there knucklehead you should have learned (much earlier) that "big bro" is usually (not gonna say always) right. BTW, thought you'd of weighed in on some the rasslin/entertainment discussions in the other forum.

Re: Best NCISAA Football Players you have seen in person 8-man or 11-m

Matthew Bristow from HCA class of 2000.
Great player on some not so good teams. One of the few 8-man players to get a Division-One football scholly.(Air-Force) Fastest player I've seen play at Harrells, and I've seen many. Had baseball offers from most Southern Conference schools among others.

Originally posted by Cool_J:
see there knucklehead you should have learned (much earlier) that "big bro" is usually (not gonna say always) right. BTW, thought you'd of weighed in on some the rasslin/entertainment discussions in the other forum.

Never denied having a concussion...you may be right - some of the time, but it's time to grow up and quit watching wrestling. I am wise beyond my years. You always said I might be bigger and faster, but never smarter..who's the one still watching wrestling???

Don't forget that Kukulinski started several games as a true freshman for NC State on the d-line.

if you want to play fball why do you play 8 man to begin with go to a school with real fball being played can someone explain why a talented athlete would go to a school with 8 man?

There is really no difference talent wise in a very good 8man team and decent 1A public school team. On occasion some very good players come out of the 8 man game.
This post was edited on 7/20 12:20 PM by samif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

then if you are that good of a player and want to play the next level wouldnt it make sense to play in a 1a or higher school?i feel i could assemble some great athletes that dont play fball from my school and beat most 8 man teams from nc

Most good high school players still don't make it to the college level, so I really don't think that is much of a factor. (And if you can really play at the next level, a college will find a spot for you, summer camps play as big of a role as ever now.)

Some kids also prefer the education/environment of the private schools that play 8 man. You are correct that bottom level 8-man teams are not very talented, but whats the point of discussing it? Its a low level of high school football, and that it that. But, there are a few teams in the 8man ranks every year that have good talent, and the kids play there because they love their schools. Like I said before, even if you are a great high school football player, you still probably will never make it on the collegiate level. So why not play and attend school where you will enjoy it the most?
This post was edited on 7/24 12:00 PM by samif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

You guys keep talking about 8 man football. How about some good 11 man players, such as a lot of the players that came out of Ravenscroft, Charlotte Christian, Charlotte Latin, Charlotte Providence Day, Cardinal Gibbons, Christ School etc. just to name a few. I can name a whole lot of players who have made it to the college ranks, and even a lot to the pros. I am sorry, but 8 man football is no comparison to 11 man private school football. Thats why a lot of the 8 man players do not get on the field during the Oasis Shrine Game, because playing against there is no comparison between them and 11 man players.

Oasis...........

Two of the OL starters were from Trinity. The leading tackler in the game was from Parrott. Not bad, since only 8 were selected. There are a lot of great 11-man players, but your comments are a blanket statement that just because the quantity on the field is 8 and not 11 that those kids can't play- and they CAN PLAY. 8-man kids play college ball as well. Two years ago Oklahoma's number one recruit played 8-man football. Do some research before you make generalizations.

Heath

Re: Oasis...........

Another point to add to what Heath was saying. Last year in 8 man competition, Trinity beat Wake Christian 60-6. This year, Wake Christian is playing 11 man, while Trinity is still playing 8. Do you think that Wake Christian is now head and shoulders above Trinity because they play 11 man? One year removed from being beaten 60-6? No one is going to argue that most 11 man teams in this state have more talent than 8 man teams. But, do not sell these 8 man teams short. There is talent all over the field.

I do my research!! You are talking to someone that played NC Private School football. I wish we would have played Wake Christian or anyone else b/c it would've simply been no contest! I am not saying that some of the players can't play, but I have watched a lot of 8 man football and the talent level is not the same as 11 man ball. I am NOT trying to get on 8 man football, being a coach now, I think it is great that we have this so that more kids can participate no matter if they have 8 or 11 man. I am just simply stating an opinion from what I observe.

No Sam I am not saying that Wake Christian will be better in 11 man just b/c they have moved up. I am just stating what I have observed and it is that any 8 man team couldnt play against my team in high school...doesn't matter if they put 12 people on the field; the talent isn't the same @ all!
This post was edited on 7/29 10:36 AM by elon36if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Wow, if you would actually read what I wrote, you would see that I was actually agreeing with your point about talent.

Hey Heath,

How's Trinity looking this year? Good luck this season. This year should be interesting for us...

Will,

Hopefully, we will be competitive. Our OL will be key since we lost all five starters from that group. We have some size and speed- so, we will see. Good luck to you as well!

Heath

Well said Elon36. No doubt with me whatsoever these players mentioned would hold a birthday candle to players like Neal Wattison at Charlotte Country Day or others such as:Kyle Derham, TC Byrnes, Mark Paschall all of Charlotte Latin

Chase Williston- Providence Day

and most of all Charlotte Catholic which defies the odds in level of talent year after year without recruiting anyone.

Nick Starcevic
Mike Leoncyzk
Ryan Hennessy
Mario Acitelli
Tyler Bullard
Chris Grady
Joel Herlocker
Ben Herlocker
Matt Day
Craig Warnement
Ryan Becker

Yes Catholic is not NCIHSAA but they are private. It's just as well they are in NCHSAA because if not they would be the NC Independent champion every year with rare exception.

8-man football is a fine thing. It allows small schools to assemble a squad for playing the fine game of football but Elon36 is exactly right in observing a player that stars as an "8 manner" would get body slammed like a red-headed stepchild in 11 man competition.

" It allows small schools to assemble a squad for playing the fine game of football but Elon36 is exactly right in observing a player that stars as an "8 manner" would get body slammed like a red-headed stepchild in 11 man competition."

I don't know where to begin on how stupid and inaccurate that statement is. Case in point, I saw a kid play 11 man football last Friday night who was dominate running the football. This same kid dominated on the 8 man level last year. The DEPTH of talent is greater at the 11 man ranks, but there are plenty of players at the 8 man level who could EASILY play on the 11 man level. Its not like the 11 man private school ranks are stacked with tons of division one players.

FYI- 3 TEAMS MADE THE MOVE FROM 8 MAN TO 11 MAN THIS YEAR. ALL THREE WON Friday NIGHT OVER TEAMS WHO HAD ALREADY BEEN PLAYING 11 MAN.
This post was edited on 8/20 10:43 PM by samif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Originally posted by sam:
" It allows small schools to assemble a squad for playing the fine game of football but Elon36 is exactly right in observing a player that stars as an "8 manner" would get body slammed like a red-headed stepchild in 11 man competition."

I don't know where to begin on how stupid and inaccurate that statement is. FYI- 3 TEAMS MADE THE MOVE FROM 8 MAN TO 11 MAN THIS YEAR. ALL THREE WON Friday NIGHT OVER TEAMS WHO HAD ALREADY BEEN PLAYING 11 MAN.
Why is it stupid and inaccurate? Because you don't like it? Excuse me Mr. Sensitive but you'll have to make the adjustment here and acknowledge what's so. What you already know is so at that.

Your ridiculous FYI amounts to a whole lot of nothing and your "so-called" case-in-point is a bigger joke. Wow....JOE BLOW tore it up last year in 8-man and I saw him yesterday tear it up in 11-man. So every rule has an exception....and that's all it was.

Send your former 8-man squads that won friday in 11-man to Catholic, Latin, or Country Day and see what happens. We BOTH know the answer to that one.......LMAO. All you need is a red rubber nose sam and your outfit is complete. Wake up dude.

CCHS_OHS5.jpg

"Send your former 8-man squads that won friday in 11-man to Catholic, Latin, or Country Day and see what happens." You are right, those teams would most likely win easily, and Catholic would dominate. But, those teams are the cream of the crop. The former 8 man teams would and will compete with most teams in the private school 11 man divisions. Just wait and see. Harrells Christian used to play and beat Charlotte schools during their former 11 man days in the 70',80, and early 90's...so its not out of the question. I apologize about the "stupid" comments. I don't mind a good debate.

All right I admit it I was stirring the pot. You are a PACK fan so you've lived at least part of your life right. I wasn't picking on Harrells either or any school inparticular. It was about 8-man/11-man.

Actually I have to bat for the privates most times including my own CC because they can't believe a 9-12 enrollment of 500 or so (Latin, CD, PD) can play at the level they do--with 3 times as many students or more-- without hand-picking players like colleges which, of course, is preposterous. Most are just smitten with their discipline and success and take a shot instead of respecting what it takes to make so few perform so well. And every bit of that is true.

Charlotte20Catholic.gif

Champions of Football

1977 2004 2005

Originally posted by sam:

"Harrells Christian used to play and beat Charlotte schools during their former 11 man days in the 70',80, and early 90's...

I don't know much about the 70s and 80s - way before my time. What I do know is that we stepped up to play the Charlotte schools before stepping down to play 8-man. It was 1991, I was a freshman, and we were dominated by Charlotte Country Day and Charlotte Latin. We won on the road against Charlotte Christian and played Providence Day (the eventual state champion) to a 1 touchdown game. There is no doubt that when you compare little old Harrells to Charlotte, it's night and day. Time will tell how we compete this year and in the future.

I believe HCA won a state title in 11 man over a Charlotte school back in the day, Coach. I could be wrong, though. But it is indeed comparing apples to oranges. What was the reasoning for the call(or non-call) on the onsides kick, Friday?
This post was edited on 8/22 1:22 AM by samif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Blown call. I knew as soon as it happened that it could not be advanced, but for some reason the sideline judge said it was a legal play. An onside or pooch kick in this case is dead where it is recovered when fielded by the kicking team. We never even touched the ball, let alone had possession.

Thats what I thought. I'm sure you saw the post in the "ask the ref" section.

Re: ?????

Of course not, that is a superb athletic football player, one which defies the odds in level of talent year after year, from Charlotte Catholic! It just looks like a clip. He really didn't touch him...
This post was edited on 8/23 11:53 AM by Bandit_9if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Re: Harrell's fan is a Hater

Originally posted by Bandit_9:
Of course not, that is a superb athletic football player, one which defies the odds in level of talent year after year, from Charlotte Catholic! It just looks like a clip. He really didn't touch him...
Bandit. Everyone knows what would happen if your state champs played ours. Have someone watch HCA's tin soldiers line up on nobody year after year and they'll laugh just as hard as I do at those "State Championships"

RON SEZ:
2704drmontgomery.jpg
Don't be a HATER Bandit. Without the CATHOLICS we wouldn't even be here.....there could be no HCA.

Re: Harrell's fan is a Hater

LOL, you have way too much time on your hands, Mel Gibson.... but that last part was pretty funny.
This post was edited on 8/23 4:39 PM by samif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 8/23 4:40 PM by samif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT