ADVERTISEMENT

Best all time HC in North Carolina?

Paroli had a great career with tremendous longevity but only one state title with six appearances.

Lewis won five state titles at two schools (one 3A at East Bladen). Overall winning percentage is 68%.

Tommy just about perfected his winning percentage. When will another Tommy come around?
That’s a great question. Hoggard legendary coach Scott Braswell was a TK assistant before having great success as a HC. His son was a heck of a player and is now in coaching. He is the DC at Dutch Fork. He has it in his blood and he’s learning from the best. He could become the next great coach. I suspect he will stay in SC or head to Georgia where there is more money. He probably makes more as a DC in SC as a lot of HC in NC.

That’s a great question. Hoggard legendary coach Scott Braswell was a TK assistant before having great success as a HC. His son was a heck of a player and is now in coaching. He is the DC at Dutch Fork. He has it in his blood and he’s learning from the best. He could become the next great coach. I suspect he will stay in SC or head to Georgia where there is more money. He probably makes more as a DC in SC as a lot of HC in NC.
His resume is building.

I'd go Tom Knotts, Jim Oddo, David Gentry, and Jim Teague.

Then I'd go Bob Paroli, Bobby Poss, Bob Lewis, Marion Kirby, Allen Brown, Jack Holley, and then maybe Burton Cates or Tom Brown.
Boyd Dietz from Swain County is one that has an argument with .748 winning percentage and five pre-subdivided state titles including a 2A.

Bob Colvin won 77% of his games and eleven state 1A titles. An issue for many is that some of those seasons there were very few teams in 1A. I believe one season 26 or so 1A schools had football programs.

How long has Andy Capone been with Weddington. He’s definitely a good coach. Last home loss I believe was in 2021 when they went 12-2.

Capone took over for the 2018 season from Tim Carson. Carson retired and returned to his home area in western SC. He took over after Justin Harding and really pushed them over the edge. Won a title and had runnerup finish.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I will have to add on the list Joe Glass of Hickory. Phenomenal season last year and look to see another one coming up this next season. Not to forget they also had an undefeated JV team last year.

Jimmy Teague not being mentioned is ABSURD!!!! He took a dwindling Reidsville and turned us back into a Powerhouse!!! 1 first round exit due to a implosion!!! 12 title appearances 9-3 in those appearances. Without Shelby we’re 12-2 under him! His son just took his 1st season to a RING! DYNASTY!! Tom is the truth! But not mentioning Teague is crazy business!!!! If not for a BLOWN Hail Mary call at Kinston (up 16-14 with no time left but for a heave the Kinston receiver dropped the ball on video recording undisputed and ref throws his arms up) we win another one!! We were 14-16 game teams every year for 20 plus!!!

Jimmy Teague not being mentioned is ABSURD!!!! He took a dwindling Reidsville and turned us back into a Powerhouse!!! 1 first round exit due to a implosion!!! 12 title appearances 9-3 in those appearances. Without Shelby we’re 12-2 under him! His son just took his 1st season to a RING! DYNASTY!! Tom is the truth! But not mentioning Teague is crazy business!!!! If not for a BLOWN Hail Mary call at Kinston (up 16-14 with no time left but for a heave the Kinston receiver dropped the ball on video recording undisputed and ref throws his arms up) we win another one!! We were 14-16 game teams every year for 20 plus!!!

Jimmy Teague has been mentioned on this thread. Jimmy Teague "only" has 8 titles (02,03,07,08,16,18,19,20), not 9, as Coach Robertson was HC in 2009. Jimmy Teague was also no the HC against Kinston that season.

Jimmy Teague not being mentioned is ABSURD!!!! He took a dwindling Reidsville and turned us back into a Powerhouse!!!

You can't be talking about the same Reidsville program that I remember. In the three years before Teague took over for another up-and-coming Hall-of-Fame coach in Mark Barnes, the Rams won 7,9, and 7 games and were damn competitive in 3A ball. I vividly remember the 1990 squad narrowly losing to Southern Nash in the 3rd round, and I think they would have had something for Cummings in the semi-finals.

We can talk Jim Teague all we want, but he took over a really good situation from Barnes. It was Barnes who took over from the hard times of the Kelly Minyard regime and righted the ship.

I don’t know many of these guys personally and most I have not seen in person or action on the sideline of football Friday nights but

i think Knotts , Oddo , Murphy HC and Tom Brown would be my top 4 guys

I’m sure all these guys who have been named have had amazing careers and success and it’s all opinion based and favorites

Some of the best coaches don’t win championships or very few championships but I think former Page Coach in Kevin Gillespies is good coach (he has 1 State title and 2 runner ups)

You can't be talking about the same Reidsville program that I remember. In the three years before Teague took over for another up-and-coming Hall-of-Fame coach in Mark Barnes, the Rams won 7,9, and 7 games and were damn competitive in 3A ball. I vividly remember the 1990 squad narrowly losing to Southern Nash in the 3rd round, and I think they would have had something for Cummings in the semi-finals.

We can talk Jim Teague all we want, but he took over a really good situation from Barnes. It was Barnes who took over from the hard times of the Kelly Minyard regime and righted the ship.

Not many teams had anything for Cummings that year, and they already beat the Rams earlier on the season by a big margin.

And you are right on Barnes, he got the Rams on the right path before leaving for Scotland Co.

Not many teams had anything for Cummings that year, and they already beat the Rams earlier on the season by a big margin.

Yeah, 1990 was a four-team show in the 3A..... Of course Cummings was as elite as it got, but Statesville, A.L. Brown, and Concord were pretty much the class of the 3A, and then it was everyone else by a pretty distant margin. But Reidsville, T.W. Andrews, and Southern Nash had big-time seasons that year.

What was his official record?
I believe when he was at West Rowan he coached for 17 seasons. His record was l72-54 and won 3 straight State Championships from 08-10. Then in 2011 they made it to the 3A State finals again but lost that one.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: XOPlan57
Colvin

16 conference champs
11 State Championships (5 in a row in there)
40-6 playoff record
177-52 record

all in 19 years

Colvin

16 conference champs
40-6 playoff record
177-52 record

all in 19 years
With a record like that I am ashamed to say that I have no idea who you are talking about. When and where did this person coach?

From your name "1955 Wildcat" I thought it might be New Hanover when Sonny Jergenson and Roman Gabriel were there, but they were coached by Leon Brogdon.

Through his forty years of coaching, Coach Leon Brogden was associated with more than fifty-five championships. He coached 2 State Championship teams in football, 1 in Baseball and won 8 State Crowns in Basketball. In 1956 he won the state championship in baseball and basketball.

That building (gym/auditorium) they named for coach Brogden at New Hanover was really something when it was built. I read that it had become a little run down, and they have done considerable rehab in the recent past to get it back into good shape. That should help keep his memory alive for many more years.

Colvin

16 conference champs
40-6 playoff record
177-52 record

all in 19 years
Great run, no doubt! They have continued to be strong through the years at Robbinsville and one of my absolute favorite spots to take in a big game.

We will begin to see more long runs and "dynasty" type programs with the eight classifications much like we saw with subdividing but I think it may be even more extreme. Colvin's teams won several state titles when there were less than 30 football playing schools in 1A. Many schools that consolidated, some of which consolidated again. Saratoga, Tar Heel, Littlefield, Clarkton, Rowland, Red Springs, Maxton, Prospect, Fairgrove, Magnolia, Belhaven, Angier, Weldon, Knapp, Mattamuskeet, Weldon, Norlina, Elm City, Belhaven, et al.

Swain Co had a good run back when they won 1A State from 88’- 90’ Who was their coach at the time. Who were the standout star players for those teams

Dietz was a great coach. So was Hugh Hamilton in the mountains. I miss the the games in the 70s and 80s. Big Oak remains a great place. One of my favorite mountain coaches was Bill Teas.

That building (gym/auditorium) they named for coach Brogden at New Hanover was really something when it was built. I read that it had become a little run down, and they have done considerable rehab in the recent past to get it back into good shape. That should help keep his memory alive for many more years.
Brogden Hall has been renovated. Looks about the same but cleaner and better. It is very impressive to see all their state championship banners. Brogden was definitely not the best football coach in NC history but he was definitely one of the best coaches in state history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT