ADVERTISEMENT

Becoming A Common Occurrence Among Recruits

Lion Attack

Aug 15, 2010
Read this article on South Pointe’s Steven Gilmore. He came into the 2017 season w/ several offers from Power 5 schools, now he has none. He apparently waited for offers from bigger schools, and lost the ones that he had due to procrastination. I saw him play against Shelby, and the young man was hellacious as both a receiver and defensive back. Surprised he’s in this predicament.

I have known of some prospects here in Cleveland County that had offers from FCS schools. They sat on the offers, only to lose them, and ended up on the D2 level, or no where at all. They were waiting on ACC schools, bigger offers, apparently having a false sense of what level of a recruit they were, having the wrong people in their ear, not making a timely decision, and taking advantage of the opportunities that were already presented to them.

Don’t claim to know much about recruiting, but it appears that if a prospect isn’t a four or five star recruit, he doesn’t have the luxury of waiting on bigger offers, and needs to make a timely decision, and secure that scholarship.

http://amp.thestate.com/sports/coll...ecruiting/phil-kornblut/article189925379.html

The name bought him some interest as well as schools who wanted Kendrick. Then he played the waiting game and got stuck. Its cerainly not a perfect system by any means especially for a slightly undersized kid like him. Some of those early offers came even before his sophmore year and I bet they thought he would grow into his brothers frame and he hasnt.

The name bought him some interest as well as schools who wanted Kendrick. Then he played the waiting game and got stuck. Its cerainly not a perfect system by any means especially for a slightly undersized kid like him. Some of those early offers came even before his sophmore year and I bet they thought he would grow into his brothers frame and he hasnt.
Great points, man.

I don't know about this kid but he needs to attend camps at these colleges. He should inquire about a walkon. I know its not ideal. Not all of these kids turn out to be d1 recruits.

Reactions: daagoob
That is why I told Lee Kpogba to verbal to WVU. If other offers come you can chose but verbal to the best offer

Well. Lets not kid ourselves. He could verbal and still be sitting without an offer. Happens all the time. Look at the kid from Dutch Fork a couple of years back.

Its real hard for the SEC or ACC schools to recruit a 5'9 160lb DB. Weight and nutrition can only do so much and look at the kids he as to match up against. Kids like Powell or Overton at Clemson or Ridley at Bama. Even a kid like Kelvin Harmon at NC state. Everyone is looking for the 6'1 long armed kid to defend those guys.

He is a stud athlete and he will go to college for free.Its just not gonna be at Georgia or Florida state.

The school pulling the offer of a verbal commitment happens every year, also. Matt Colburn now at Wake was the DF player that Louisville pulled on signing day.

Last edited:
This has happened in Reidsville before also. There are great opportunities at the fcs and d2 levels, but these young athletes have to be willing to take them. Do not allow the local barber shops to hype you in to thinking that a power 5 school is about to offer you.

There needs to be more commitment required on both a player that verbals and a school that offers. One area P5 school is not offering unless their is a scholarship available. In other words they have not offered over their limit for the class the player is in.

I think schools should not be able to make offers until after Christmas break of the players junior season. The offer an 8th grader is stupid. If a school offers it should be held for the recruit.

If the recruit "verbals" on the guaranteed and held offer the recruit must have some type of requirement. First, the verbal" must become written in some form with parental approval. The "verbal" would not become official for three business days so the family can reconsider. The school is on the hook regardless as soon as it is offered. No more campus visits allowed, official or otherwise, and no instigating communication on behalf of the player. If the player wants to decommit, then he can communicate and make non official visits to campuses.

The schools have the upper hand but if the NCAA holds the schools accountable for that grant they must know it will be reciprocated.

There needs to be more commitment required on both a player that verbals and a school that offers. One area P5 school is not offering unless their is a scholarship available. In other words they have not offered over their limit for the class the player is in.

I think schools should not be able to make offers until after Christmas break of the players junior season. The offer an 8th grader is stupid. If a school offers it should be held for the recruit.

If the recruit "verbals" on the guaranteed and held offer the recruit must have some type of requirement. First, the verbal" must become written in some form with parental approval. The "verbal" would not become official for three business days so the family can reconsider. The school is on the hook regardless as soon as it is offered. No more campus visits allowed, official or otherwise, and no instigating communication on behalf of the player. If the player wants to decommit, then he can communicate and make non official visits to campuses.

The schools have the upper hand but if the NCAA holds the schools accountable for that grant they must know it will be reciprocated.

I like @btango ideas, but the problem lies in all of the turnover that happens at the college level. There would have to be something in place to address the firing of a coach and what that does to the agreement from both sides of the aisle.

I like @btango ideas, but the problem lies in all of the turnover that happens at the college level. There would have to be something in place to address the firing of a coach and what that does to the agreement from both sides of the aisle.

I think if there is a head coaching change the player can bail at any time. New coach would require the player to "verbal" again. In order for the school to drop the offer they would have to by a certain date. Also, I think a school could drop the offer and the student could attend on a full scholarship but could not play sports at the school the first year. Further, he would not be allowed to walk on for any sport at that school while on the scholarship. Question is, would that be for the head coach, the co-ordinators, position coach, direct recruiter of the player. A lot to deal with.

I think if there is a head coaching change the player can bail at any time. New coach would require the player to "verbal" again. In order for the school to drop the offer they would have to by a certain date. Also, I think a school could drop the offer and the student could attend on a full scholarship but could not play sports at the school the first year. Further, he would not be allowed to walk on for any sport at that school while on the scholarship. Question is, would that be for the head coach, the co-ordinators, position coach, direct recruiter of the player. A lot to deal with.

I think that it almost seems like the player is being punished for a coach losing his job in your scenario. The kid could be stuck with only one offer and now not be playing at all because of a regime change. I think the biggest issue has to be all of the early offers, they are essentially worthless and don't seem to be doing much but hurting the process. Something has to be done to reign in that monster.

Cant believe he's not looking at App State or North Carolina A&T State Univ. Both schools compete very well on a smaller scale, but both schools puts guys into the league annually

I think that it almost seems like the player is being punished for a coach losing his job in your scenario. The kid could be stuck with only one offer and now not be playing at all because of a regime change. I think the biggest issue has to be all of the early offers, they are essentially worthless and don't seem to be doing much but hurting the process. Something has to be done to reign in that monster.

Same as early commitments. They are worthless.

The kid that did not get the offer is not being punished he is getting a free ride to that school if he wants to go under my idea. That is the school that pulled his offer so does he really want to play for the new coach that does not want him. He can go to any other school that offers him or as a walkon and play immediately so there are choices but mainly a free education.

The issue on the player that had his offer pulled is if he is given a full scholarhship and allowed to play schools will use that a way to get more players on campus. Tell me he is coming but we will not give him a scholarship for football but it will be a free ride and he can walkon and get all the perks. Every school is looking for every advantage.

Do you allow a player to back out if the coach leaves? Yes. Can the school drop the scholarship offer if the coach leaves? They can now. I would be ok if they could not but if a coach completely changes the scheme what do you do if they are not using that position any longer. For every example there is a reason it will not work.

If some kids were half as good as they think they are, they would be twice as good as they actually are.

I agree but can tell you that in my experience its rarely their fault. Social media has changed the landscape on recruiting and it continues to get deeper. Instead of waiting by a mailbox for a letter of interest its all day every day between text and social media. Beyond that its a parents role to keep their son grounded and looking at offers with a fair amount of scrutiny. In many cases the parent is FAR more likely to push the " D1" issue than the kid. Fast forward 18 months and the kid is transferring to Jacksonville ST or UNCC which is where they should have been in the first place.

You dont have to be a genious level talent evaluator to stand on the sidelines of a FSU/Clemson game and realize in the first 5 minutes that your kid will be overmatched . Its just a pill that is to tough to swallow for a parent.

If some kids were half as good as they think they are, they would be twice as good as they actually are.

Agreed, and I think that is a big reason why we hear so much about the transfer of athletes from one school to another. Some schools will promise kids college looks or have the reputation of getting kids to college to play and parents and kids lose their loyalty to a homeschool and go where they think the grass is greener.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT