Trench Fighter

Sep 15, 2015
One of the first and most successful jamborees in North Carolina - 31st year

New Hanover vs. West Brunswick
Ashley vs. South Columbus
North Brunswick vs. South Brunswick
Hoggard vs. Whiteville
Laney vs. Wallace-Rose Hill

Ashley-South Columbus and Laney-WRH look to be the most compelling scrimmages.

Ashley got a huge transfer that will help them a lot. The JV QB for NH last season is now at AHS. I saw him in middle school and last year against Scotland. He is a great athlete and will be the star of the team as a soph. I don't think it will turn them into a conf contender but great news for a program that needs it.

They had a white kid and a black kid. The white kid is Trot Nixons son. The other kid transferred.

Getting excited and looking forward to tonight

New Hanover vs. West Brunswick -
Wildcats were young on offense last year and put up points. Blake Walston has a big arm and a lot of weapons, but O-line appears to be a question mark. Defense should be solid .... Looking for a big year out of Daley. West Brunswick lost it's backfield from last year, but their coach thinks this team is more athletic. Trojans beat Swett by a touchdown last night.

Ashley vs. South Columbus -

New QB at Ashley this year has them excited, but not much else to speak of. Coach Turner needs more time and a lot athletes to get on the level with the top half of the league. Coach Dove seems to have the Stallions headed back in the right direction after a couple of sub-par seasons for South Columbus

North Brunswick vs. South Brunswick -
New coach at North Brunswick this year ... Their third coach in four years. Traditionally a lot of athletes, but little size. Interesting to see how the Scorpions adjust in the new conference. South Brunswick won their first game last year and really nothing else to get excited about. Coach Lewis is in a tough situation, but comes from a strong coaching background. Expecting a better season from the Cougars

Hoggard vs. Whiteville -
Hearing good things about the Vikings and should be better than they were a year ago. Offense is missing some pieces from last year, but the young kids have stepped up this summer. Defense returns a lot of kids, but gave up a lot of points last year ... I expect big things out of the defense this year. Whiteville should provide a good test for the Vikings. The Wolfpack likes to run a lot and that was an issue for Hoggard last year.

Laney vs. Wallace-Rose Hill -
Laney lost some key skill players and most of their offensive line from last year. Laney surprised people by playing Wake Forest to the end in the first round of the playoffs last year . Will that carry over to the this year ... Some high school web sites think so. WRH has a new coach, but he is familiar to the area. Curious to see Motsinger back in action and the how the Bulldogs react to the change

Wow...after what Hanover did to Heritage in Raleigh yesterday and their showing in the jamboree, can't see anyone in the MEC challenging them. Their defense is way more talented than anyone thought after holding Heritage to zero TD's with all the D1 talent on that squad is impressive. And Laney.....this is suppose to be a down year for WRH and the Bucs put up a goose egg, that's bad news in buctown.

Heritage kept out some key players. Also, hard to gain anything from a scrimmage with the vanilla play-calling etc.

I remember when Detriot finished 4-0 in pre-season and finished that hot start with a 0-16 record in the regular season.

I was impressed with New Hanover, Hoggard and Wallace ... Disappointed in Laney and North Brunswick (both looked small and not very athletic).

South Brunswick - Appears to be improved with decent size, but went up against North Brunswick who look bad
South Columbus - Coach Dove looks like he has the Stallions going in the right direction. Kids played with a lot of heart and seemed excited to be there
Whiteville - Showed flashes at time and should be ok for the upcoming season. QB has a lot of speed and caused problems for Hoggard when he scrambled
Ashley - Missing their QB, but they have a lot more issues than that. Played well at times, but it looks like another tough season for the Screaming Eagles
West Brunswick - Moved the ball at times, but not where they were a year ago. They should be fine and should finish third in the conference.

New Hanover will be tough to beat this year. Bigggg fullback great QB. Good overall team,3A at that.

Heritage kept out some key players. Also, hard to gain anything from a scrimmage with the vanilla play-calling etc.

I remember when Detriot finished 4-0 in pre-season and finished that hot start with a 0-16 record in the regular season.
Name the players they let sit?

I was impressed with New Hanover, Hoggard and Wallace ... Disappointed in Laney and North Brunswick (both looked small and not very athletic).

South Brunswick - Appears to be improved with decent size, but went up against North Brunswick who look bad
South Columbus - Coach Dove looks like he has the Stallions going in the right direction. Kids played with a lot of heart and seemed excited to be there
Whiteville - Showed flashes at time and should be ok for the upcoming season. QB has a lot of speed and caused problems for Hoggard when he scrambled
Ashley - Missing their QB, but they have a lot more issues than that. Played well at times, but it looks like another tough season for the Screaming Eagles
West Brunswick - Moved the ball at times, but not where they were a year ago. They should be fine and should finish third in the conference.
West will not finish 3rd..bet on it. They will lose to NH. HOGGARD, TOPSAIL AND LANEY

And I know you didn't just compare an NFL team to a high school team.....?

Reactions: portcity FB
And I know you didn't just compare the NFL to a high school team....?

I compared football to football, yes. The point I was attempting to make was to not put much stock into these scrimmages that are meaningless. You think teams are running their true stuff for teams to scout? I don't need to name the players, do I?

I compared football to football, yes. The point I was attempting to make was to not put much stock into these scrimmages that are meaningless. You think teams are running their true stuff for teams to scout? I don't need to name the players, do I?

Only if you want to be considered a creditable source

Reactions: hotterhand
Only if you want to be considered a creditable source

That's not my goal, especially in regards to Heritage High School. Just going off what I was told by a couple of friends that were there and also the video of the scrimmage I'm watching right now. The starting RB and QB for Heritage played about 3 series, WR's had some drops, pretty basic play-calling. But if y'all want to judge scrimmages and jamborees, have at it.

But don't take the word of Trench Fighter, myself or even HSOT, just watch the game film from the scrimmage. HSOT Live has the full hour and some, enjoy.

West will not finish 3rd..bet on it. They will lose to NH. HOGGARD, TOPSAIL AND LANEY

hotter, did you watch Laney in the Jamboree? Laney was one of the worst teams out there ...They are undersized, not very athletic and learning a new offense. Wallace pushed them around in the scrimmage. If Topsail's O line is better than what it was a year ago they could give some teams in the conference trouble. You have been on that Pirate bandwagon for some time and every year they are going to surprise some people according to you - never happens. The Pirates are going to have to get more out of the team than their running backs if they are going to be in the top half of the conference. West Brunswick has good size ... not the speed they had a year ago, but they move the ball and they are well coached. Yeah .... I'll take that bet

Last edited:
From what I heard was that Heritage played their QB on a couple of series, their stud RB didn't show much (didn't run very much outside the tackles) and their LB (Michigan offer) didn't play due to a sore ankle. Heritage's offensive line was awful and the secondary couldn't stop New Hanover's passing game. New Hanover will be fine this season ... O line is probably their big question.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
It's all talk on a measly football forum to get the juices going and the usual suspects have showed up, welcome to the 2017 high school football season. What I or anyone else think about it will not win or lose games and most of the time we are just stating the obvious but I'm not afraid to go out on a limb to talk up a team or player. As for the Topsail bandwagon I jumped on it a couple years ago as they beat West Brunswick and hung with Hanover for 3 quarters. There is one thing I know for sure this season about the pirates, they will score points.

It's all talk on a measly football forum to get the juices going and the usual suspects have showed up, welcome to the 2017 high school football season. What I or anyone else think about it will not win or lose games and most of the time we are just stating the obvious but I'm not afraid to go out on a limb to talk up a team or player. As for the Topsail bandwagon I jumped on it a couple years ago as they beat West Brunswick and hung with Hanover for 3 quarters. There is one thing I know for sure this season about the pirates, they will score points.
I agree. This could be the best team Topsail has had since they joined the MEC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT