ADVERTISEMENT

Avery @ Prep

BravesGWY

Jan 5, 2015
what do we think ? Can Avery deal with prep and their size? I would love for Avery to win lol

seem them both...should be a good one...Prep is relentless on the boards...handle their pressure and you never know...

The best player in the 1A tournament was Mounce. Mounce scored between 30-35 points against Prep in all 3 games. I think if Avery plays like they did last night they will beat Prep. Viking Gym will be rocking out. Last night there were people lining the steps to enter the gym to watch the game. Avery seats 3,500 people with it being one of the larger gyms at the 1A level. I believe the place will be packed to the gills on Tuesday. Also Bareman congrats to a very classy Bears team on a great season. I think you will be very good in the coming years.

thanks!! Good luck on Tues....gym is awesome...I have had people ask if Avery streams their games....would like to listen Tues night

T
thanks!! Good luck on Tues....gym is awesome...I have had people ask if Avery streams their games....would like to listen Tues night
They don't but they might try to stream the game. I'm actually the team manager/statistician. Thanks once again for bringing a classy (especially compared to Hayesville when we played them @ Hayesville last year in the 3rd round. They are super snobby.) and very good Mount Airy basketball team up here.

I do the radio for MA and I know that people really enjoy being able to listen in...hope it works out

Hope avery and cherokee wins, I haven't seen avery play so I can't speak for them but if cherokee plays a full game and pushes the pace against Lincoln charter then they can win it

Reactions: VIKING STRONG
How close was the Avery vs. Prep game last year? Also even with home court advantages I think it's a disadvantage playing prep on the smaller high school courts instead of the larger college courts where you have more room to negate their trapping and pressure.

How close was the Avery vs. Prep game last year? Also even with home court advantages I think it's a disadvantage playing prep on the smaller high school courts instead of the larger college courts where you have more room to negate their trapping and pressure.
No, playing them @ regionals in Winston Salem is an away game. Avery couldn't handle playing in a hockey arena last year. We play a lot better at home. It's definitely an advantage.

hopefully AH will be giving live updates from Avery tomorrow night...sure would be nice to get a stream of the game

Reactions: AHVikingNation
Really interesting match-up on paper. Haven't seen Avery play so I can't really make an educated guess, but they'll need to be really strong with the ball. If you turn it over against Prep, it better be out of bounds. Live ball turnovers are killers against them.

I didn't get a answer to my first question so I looked up the score from last year where Prep won 58 to 43, What's the biggest difference with Avery this year that could lead to a different outcome.

playing at home is a plus for Avery, but Prep thrives on beating people at their place....depending on how the officials call it will be big...if they let them play; advantage Prep....will be interesting

I was very impressed with Avery on Saturday. With that said, Prep is a different animal than Mount Airy in some way because of its ability to constantly pressure the ball. Plus they have 5 different guys all capable of taking a game over. Home-court advantage made a difference against Mount Airy and could against Prep, but I think the Phoenix advance to the 5th round.

With that said, pulling for the Vikings. Classy performance on Saturday and enjoyed the trip.

I hope hey send officials from Asheville or Charlotte. Past 2 years they've been from Boone or Winston Salem which is unfair hopefully we get better officials this time around.

Last year the state sent Avery's officials to the game at Hayesville. The NCHSAA said it was a clerical mistake.

Are you anti Avery or pro advantaged schools? You seem to be backing the advantages schools in all of the different threads.

Actually neither, I am pro SMC. I was just pointing a mistake was made last year in Avery's playoff chase. Just out of curiosity how did you reach the conclusion that I am pro charter/prep/private?

Last year the state sent Avery's officials to the game at Hayesville. The NCHSAA said it was a clerical mistake.
Does that surprise you that the NCHSAA made that mistake? Remember it's the same organization that makes up these playoff rules and pairings every year, and the same group that makes up the realignment. I wonder if that mistake had anything to do with them publicly posting the officials assignments for this year's regionals on the basketball page of their website?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT