ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Area IV Playoffs

My thoughts:
Looking at the match ups, my prediction is there will be no upsets the first round. I think all the higher seeds will prevail.

The 2nd rd is where it will get more interesting with possible match ups of Cherryville/Gastonia, Caldwell/Gaston Braves, and Taylorsville/Shelby. All of those could be very competitive. I think Union County's first rd series vs Hickory will be more competitive than their 2nd match up against the Asheville/LIncoln County winner.

I would say Union County has the easier path to the finals than Cherryville. Cherryville most likely will have to go through both Gastonia teams who were playing well at the end of the season. Union County toughest series will probably be Taylorsville who lost 3 division games the last week and half of the season.

Last edited:
The first game of the Gastonia/Burke series tonight will be at Burke due to Sims park being used for a Gastonia Grizzlies game. Games 2 and 3 will be at Sims park.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hon Dines
Saturday results:
Rain played havoc with the opening games of the playoffs with no games being completed. Three will ppd and 5 others were suspended.

Ppd.
Hickory vs Union Co - game 1 today at Union Co
Maiden vs Taylorsville - 2 games today at Taylorsville starting at 3:00
Gaston vs Rutherford Co - game 1 today at Rutherford Co

Suspended:
Caldwell Co vs Mint Hill - Caldwell leading 7-3 in 5th inning
Game 1 resumes at 5:00 today at Mint Hill followed by game 2

Burke vs Gastonia - Gaston leading 2-0 after 5 innings
Game 1 resumes at 5:00 today at Gastonia followed by game 2

Lincoln Co vs Asheville - Scoreless in 2nd inning
Game 1 resumes at 5:00 today at Lincoln Co followed by game 2

Shelby vs Henderson Co - Shelby leading 2-1 in the 5th inning
Game 1 resumes at 5:00 today at Henderson followed by game 2

Cherryville vs Kings Mtn - Cherryville leading 3-0 after 2 innings
Game 1 resumes at 4:00 today at Cherryville. Game 2 tonight at 7:00 at Kings Mountain.

Last edited:
Will the impact of the pitch count rules be felt immediately as the result of these suspended games? If you go by the intent and spirit of the pitch count rules, I assume that any pitcher who threw more than 30 pitches yesterday in the suspended games can not pitch today.

Any thoughts about that?

Last edited:
All the Sunday Results:

W1-Cherryville vs. E8-Kings Mtn

Cherryville 11-0 (7)
Cherryville 12-1 (7)
Cherryville leads series 2-0

E4-Gastonia vs. W5-Burke

Gastonia 4-2
Gastonia 6-4
Gastonia leads series 2-0

E2-GBraves vs. W7-Rutherford

GBraves 5-4
GBraves leads series 1-0

W3 Caldwell vs E6 Mint Hill

Caldwell 9-6
Mint Hill 8-0
Series tied 1-1

E1 Union County vs W8 Hickory

Hickory 12-2 (7)
Hickory leads series 1-0

W4-Asheville vs. E5-Lincoln Co

Asheville 8-5
Asheville 13-3 (7)
Asheville leads series 2-0

W2-Taylorsville vs. E7-Maiden

Taylorsville 9-2 (7)
Taylorsville 4-1 (7)
Taylorsville leads series 2-0

E3-Shelby vs. W6-Henderson

Shelby 12-1 (7)
Shelby 17-4 (7)
Shelby leads series 2-0

Hickory run rules Union County 12-2 in game 1
I understand that Union County committed 5 errors. I expected this series to be competitive but I didn't expect this score. A double header is scheduled tomorrow at Union County. Union County needs to win both of them IMO or they are in trouble in this series. Hickory is a strong 8th seed.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
I understand that Union County committed 5 errors. I expected this series to be competitive but I didn't expect this score. A double header is scheduled tomorrow at Union County. Union County needs to win both of them IMO or they are in trouble in this series. Hickory is a strong 8th seed.
Union County wins game two this afternoon 5-4 in 11 innings. Series is now tied 1-1 going into 3rd game later today.

Hickory had timely hitting throughout the game.

from what I read on twitter UC scored the tie and winning score with 2 outs.
Yeah, Hickory had gone ahead 4-3 in top of the 11th. After scoring 2 in the bottom of the 11th to win it Union County then won game three 8-0 to take a 2-1 series lead.

Last edited:
Monday's Results

Kings Mtn 4 Cherryville 3
Cherryville leads series 2-1

E4-Gastonia vs. W5-Burke

Gastonia 8 Burke 6
Gastonia wins sereis 3-0

GBraves 3 Rutherford 1
Rutherford 6 GBraves 3
GBraves leads series 2-1

Game 3 ppd.
Series tied 1-1; doubleheader scheduled for Tuesday

Union County 5 Hickory 4 (11)
Union County 8 Hickory 0
Union County leads series 2-1

Lincoln Co 5 Asheville 3
Asheville leads series 2-1

W2-Taylorsville vs. E7-Maiden

Taylorsville wins game 3 on a forfeit
Taylorsville wins series 3-0

Game 3 suspended in bottom of 6th with Shelby leading 7-0
Shelby leads series 2-0

Last edited:
Tuesday's Results

Cherryville 16 Kings Mtn 1 (7)
Cherryville wins series 3-1

GBraves 16 Rutherford 8 (10)
GBraves wins series 3-1

Mint Hill 5 Caldwell 3
Caldwell 16 Mint Hill 2
Series tied 2-2

Union County 11 Hickory 8
Union County wins series 3-1

Lincoln Co 10 Asheville 9
Series tied 2-2

Shelby 8 Henderson 0
Shelby wins series 3-0

Wednesday's Results

Mint Hill 13 Caldwell 8
Mint Hill wins series 3-2

Asheville 11 Lincoln County 3
Asheville wins series 3-2

Quarter Finals (best of 5) - starts Thursday, July 6

W1-Cherryville vs. E4-Gastonia

E2-GBraves vs. E6-Mint Hill

E1 Union County vs. W4-Asheville

W2-Taylorsville vs. E3-Shelby

Linkman, thanks for the update. Things could get interesting,, now. My my picks in this round Cherryville, Gastón Braves, Union and Shelby.
Thanks

Linkman, thanks for the update. Things could get interesting,, now. My my picks in this round Cherryville, Gastón Braves, Union and Shelby.
Thanks
I'm on board with all four of your picks. Unfortunately Cherryville may be missing one of their best players, Robbie Cowey. He injured his knee in a collision in the first game of the playoffs against Kings Mtn and has not played since. He has been a dominant pitcher this year for Post 100 as well as one of their best hitters. They were already missing one of their starting pitchers who is away on a family vacation so I'm a little concerned about their pitching for this series.

Last edited:
Tonight's opening game of the Cherryville/Gastonia series will be played at Sims Park in Gastonia rather than at Cherryville. The change was made because Friday the Gastonia Grizzles have a game scheduled at Sims. Games 2 and 3 will be in Cherryville. Game 4 (if necessary) will be at Sims and Game 5 (if necessary) back at Cherryville.

Sorry to hear about R.Cowie. He is quite the player and a good athlete. He is also a Lincolnton High School product. The pitching situation is worrisome. Hopefully they'll come out in top form, tonight, at Sims and take game one. If you should get an update on Cowie, please post it.

I'm sure Gastonia's Coach Cobb would love to eliminate Post 100, his former team from his playing days and his old coach.

I don't remember what game it was but in 1998, in the western regional (under the old format), Josh Cobb hit a homerun at Newman Park in Salisbury and maybe it was just my angle but it looked like the ball went over the lights in the outfield. That was Coach Reynolds second year as head coach of Post 100. Cherryville would go on to the legion world series in Las Vegas, and finish runners-up to national champ Edwardsville Illinois.

Lincolnton high starters on that 1998 team were John Mackie, the Lane brothers and sometimes, Brian Sigmon...The last time I got to see them play, that year, was in the southeast regionals in Gallatin, Tn...Cherryville's first game was against host and Tennessee state champion Gallatin. Cherryville standout Ralph Roberts was pitching. It was a close game and I think Cherryville won it by something like 5-2, or 5-3. The next day I picked up a copy of the Gallatin newspaper. The headline for that story read "Too much Roberts, Gallatin falls to NC Champs in opening round of regional". Hope they can do it again, someday.

Update on Robbie Cowey:
He was with the team and in uniform tonight but only available for pinch hitting duty according to Coach Reynolds. The good news is that the injury was a bone bruise, no ligament damage. I asked Coach Reynolds if Cowey would be healed up enough to pitch in this series and he said that Robbie had thrown some off flat ground today....so sounds like he may be able to. The decision on pitching him in this series probably depends on how the series is going for Post 100. They won tonight.

Last edited:
Thursday's Results:

Cherryville 10 Gastonia 5

Mint Hill 5 GBraves 3

Union County 9 Asheville 3

Shelby 8 Taylorsville 5 (11 innings)

Friday's Results:

Cherryville 6 Gastonia 2

Gaston Braves 15 Mint Hill 4 (7 innings)
Series ties 1-1

Union County 12 Asheville 6
Union County leads series 2-0

Shelby 9 Taylorsville 4
Shelby leads series 2-0

Robbie Cowey was back in Cherryville's line up tonight...went 2 for 4 and scored 3 runs. Cherryvile got out hit 10 to 6. Five of their six runs came via HRs, a 3 run shot from Jerod Emory giving them a 3-2 lead in the 4th and a 2 run shot from Matt Bumgarner in the 6th to push the lead to 5-2. Bumgarner then came to the mound to get the save shutting down Gastonia over the last 2 2/3 innings, striking out 5.

Saturday's Results:

Ppd. (rain)

Ppd. (rain)
Series ties 1-1

Union County 7 Asheville 6 (11 innings) - down 6-1 going to the 9th, Union County scores 5 to tie it up and then wins in extra innings.
Union County wins series 3-0

Taylorsville 5 Shelby 3
Shelby leads series 2-1

Great game tonight. Kid from Taylorsville pitched a heck of a game. No hit Shelby up to the 7th inning. Logan McNeely got it started with the first hit for Shelby. Heard one of the kids from Shelby say that they know at times they may not be the most talented team on the field but they have fun playing and working together.

Sunday's Results:

Gastonia 7 Cherryvile 6...After Cherryville ties the game 4-4 in the 8th on Colton Stroupe's 2 run HR, Gastionia scores 3 in the top of the 9th (2 unearned) to go on top 7-4. Cherryville rallies to score 2 in the bottom of the 9th on 3 hits with the game ending on a deep fly out to center by Stroupe with the potential tying run on third base.
Cherryville leads series 2-1

Mint Hill 7 GBraves 3....Mint Hill scores 4 in the 8th after 2 outs due to wildness by GBraves pitchers (only one hit in the inning).
Mint Hill lead series 2-1

Shelby 3 Taylorsville 1
Shelby wins series 3-1

Shelby will now face Union County in one semi-finals series that is set to begin on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Monday's Results:

Cherryvile 5 Gastonia 2 (12 innings)
Cherryville wins series 3-1

Gaston Braves 11 Mint Hill 0 (8 innings)
Series tied 2-2

Semi-Finals begin 7/12 (best of 5)

E1 Union County vs. E3 Shelby

W1 Cherryville vs E2 GBraves/E6 Mint Hill winner

Tuesday's Results:

Gaston Braves 12 Mint Hill 11 (11 innings)
Gaston wins series 3-2

Semi-Finals begin 7/12 (best of 5)

E1 Union County (21-2) vs. E3 Shelby (19-6)

W1 Cherryville (27-5) vs E2 GBraves (20-7)

Wednesday's Results:

Union County 13 Shelby 12
Union County leads series 1-0

Gaston Braves 19 Cherryville 5 (8 innings)
Gaston leads series 1-0

The Union County/Shelby game was back and forth all night. Union scored 2 in the bottom of the 9th off of an error to win.

Shelby over Union County 7-2. Series tied at 1. Back to Union County tomorrow night for Game 3. Post 82 could easily be up 2-0 in this series if they had played a little better D in game 1. Shelby has banged out 28 hits in the first 2 games of the series.

Cherryville wins 4-3
Series tied 1-1

Great game. Cherryville scored 2 in the top of the 7th to tie the game 2-2. Gaston pushed across a run in the bottom of the 7th to go up 3-2. Cherryville scores 2 in the top of the 8th to take the lead. Matt Bumgarner gets the win in relief with 2 2/3 scoreless innings. Gaston loaded bases in the bottom of the 9th before Bumgarner got the final out.

Lot of emotions following the game. I don't know exactly what caused it. Neither team was pleased with the plate ump the entire game. Also there was probably a little smack talk involved....Gaston was whooping it up pretty good during their lopsided win in game 1. I'm expecting a charged atmosphere at Cherryville tomorrow night in game 3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT