ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Area IV Playoffs

Linkman, I been working, this week, so I tuned in, last night. Great game. This is just me, but I felt like if the Gastón Braves were going to win this series they couldn't let Cherryville win game two. Maybe I'm way off on this but I think Gastón is at a pretty big disadvantage, now.
The commentator on the radio said there might have been jawing, some, after the game.They reported that Coach Reynolds went over to the Braves dugout, but their coach didn't care to talk.
Agree with you that it might be lively, tonight, in Cherryville.

Friday Results:

Shelby vs Union County - rained out....double header tomorrow at Union County beginning at 4:00

Cherryville 7 Gaston Braves 6 - facing a 6-5 deficit going to the bottom of the 9th, Cherryville scores 2 to walk off with the win.
Cherryville leads series 2-1

Another great game tonight. Big crowd, great atmosphere. No tempers flaring tonight...although the Cherryville fans did get a little lively when one of the Gaston players taunted the Cherryville crowd after hitting a 2-run HR. He was officially given a warning by the umps but was not tossed out.

That HR in the 6th inning cut Cherryville's lead to 4-3. It remained that way until the top of the 8th when Gaston scored 3 unearned runs to take a 6-4 lead. Colton Stroupe's HR in the bottom half cut Gaston's lead to 6-5. Cherryville tied it 6-6 in the 9th on a hit, sacrifice bunt, balk and ground out. Then with 2 outs they loaded the bases and Stroupe delivered again getting the game winning hit following an intentional walk to Matt Bumgarner.

Saturday Results:

Shelby vs Union County
Shelby 3-1 (game 3)
Shelby 4-3 (game 4)
Shelby wins series 3-1

Cherryville 16 Gaston Braves 7
Cherryville wins series 3-1

Area IV Championship - July 17 (one game)

Shelby vs Cherryville at Cherryville

Monday's Championship Game

Cherryville wins Area IV championship 8-2 over Shelby

Cherryville led the entire way breaking open a 3-1 game with 5 runs in the bottom of 7th. Dalton Brooks started for Cherryville and got the win. Matt Bumgarner got the save coming in in the top of the 7th with two out and the potential tying run at bat. He struck out the hitter and on 3 pitches and closed out the game pitching the 8th and 9th. Robbie Cowie lead the Cherryville offense with 3 hits. Austin Treadway, Wade Walker, and Dayne Homesley each had 2 hits.

Last edited:
Pretty much what I expected. Hats off to Cherryville. I hope both represent Area IV well at the State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT