ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Area III Standings

thekidd12, back when you were playing, there was a guy on the Eastern Randolph team who would cock the bat back at least at a 45 degree angle. Sometimes it would look like he was holding it even flatter than that. I kind of had a soft spot for him, because my Dad held his bat the same way. Just wonder if you remember him.
Right or lefty?

thekidd12, sorry about just getting back to you. I went up to Morganton to watch Burke County and Mint Hill (Charlotte area team).
This batter was right handed, I'm pretty sure. Kind of tall and slim.
GSO, mentioned Mickey Burgess and that did seem to ring a bell, but I know you said he came later. Could there have been a Burgess on the 1981 Eastern Randolph team ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
thekidd12, sorry about just getting back to you. I went up to Morganton to watch Burke County and Mint Hill (Charlotte area team).
GSO, mentioned Mickey Burgess and that did seem to ring a bell, but I know you said he came later. Could there have been a Burgess on the 1981 Eastern Randolph team ?
They're may have been. Quite a few Burgess's around Ramseur.

I thought for a split second that GSO could've been thinking about Mickey's dad, but he played in the 70's.

Nah no Burgess in 81. We had a few guys who were influenced by Carew and Brett about that time and started laying there bats back. 81 team had around 5 starters from ER and most of the others were from Southern Alamance, the team that finished second to us in Mid State 3A. Friend of mine mentioned other day that team was like 6-4 and he went to beach. Said when he came back we had won like 12 in a row. I don’t remember but had 3 children play like 1000 games since then. 😂
Don’t recall a tall slender guy. We were mostly short stumpy and slow…

"I don’t remember but had 3 children play like 1000 games since then"...👈Now, that's what I call participation, or maybe the Ripken effect.

Reactions: thekidd12
"I don’t remember but had 3 children play like 1000 games since then"...👈Now, that's what I call participation, or maybe the Ripken effect.
Well girl was first and she played from Virginia to Florida. Maybe over 400 games. Middle boy didn’t travel but played 10 years at probably 20 games per season. Baby boy travelled and played rec and HS. Then from MS through HS played three sports. I’m lucky to remember their names…😂😂

From SportsTone.net

AREA III STANDINGS

NORTHERN DIVISIONDIVALL
TEAMWLWL
RANDOLPH COUNTY61134
HIGH POINT62104
GREENSBORO3379
DAVIDSON COUNTY24105
MT AIRY2648
EASTERN RANDOLPH1425
STOKES COUNTY13
SOUTHERN DIVISIONDIVALL
TEAMWLWL
ROWAN COUNTY6093
KANNAPOLIS3264
MOCKSVILLE-DAVIE4359
MOORESVILLE2323
CONCORD0708

Look out…. The Reds birdied 9 before making the turn…..they’re fitting to tear this back 9 up!😂
Hoping the Red Sox’s can keep up!
Sox can hit with anybody except maybe Astros. Going to come down to pitching like always.
Reds are interesting.
Thanks for not referencing how “old” I am like Chute did…👍

Reactions: Maiden Creek
From SportsTone.net

AREA III STANDINGS

NORTHERN DIVISIONDIVALL
TEAMWLWL
RANDOLPH COUNTY82155
HIGH POINT82124
DAVIDSON COUNTY55136
GREENSBORO55912
MT AIRY3759
EASTERN RANDOLPH19210
STOKES COUNTY13
SOUTHERN DIVISIONDIVALL
TEAMWLWL
ROWAN COUNTY71104
KANNAPOLIS6294
MOCKSVILLE-DAVIE4459
MOORESVILLE3535
CONCORD0809

Sox can hit with anybody except maybe Astros. Going to come down to pitching like always.
Reds are interesting.
Thanks for not referencing how “old” I am like Chute did…👍
I won’t be visiting this thread….until the Reds win another game….triple bogey on 10! Ugh!
Here’s a trivia question for the Kidd…. I went to Doswell, Va this weekend…..Toby Keith concert….don’t ask!…I have an 18 year old daughter.
Doswell, Va. is the birthplace of what legendary sports star?

I won’t be visiting this thread….until the Reds win another game….triple bogey on 10! Ugh!
Here’s a trivia question for the Kidd…. I went to Doswell, Va this weekend…..Toby Keith concert….don’t ask!…I have an 18 year old daughter.
Doswell, Va. is the birthplace of what legendary sports star?
Well if you don’t post how will you know if I answered it???
I believe the star you are referring to was extremely dominant right?
Might be Triple Crown worthy?
So Yaz right???

Sportsnut, do you have any information on when these games are scheduled? I haven't been there in a few years, but always tried to make it over to Newman park a time or two, every season. It was one of my favorite locations for baseball. I wonder if Rowan still plays, there.
Series starts Tuesday at Rowan and at Randolph. Rowan is playing at Staton Field, where East Rowan plays this year. Catawba under renovation. I am sure both games will be 7pm start.

Thank you, my friend. I'd gone to the doctor for a routine visit but had to stay longer than I'd planned. She kept saying I was dilapidated. I told her age did that to someone, but what she actually said, is that I was dehydrated. I had wanted to see High Point and Rowan. I got to listen to some of it on WSTP via the internet. Rowan was winning 6-0.
I'm listening to Kannapolis and Randolph. The score was 9-4 Randolph but Kannapolis is having a big inning in the top of the sixth and now leads 11-9.
Here's the link.

If anyone else is listening, all I can say is what a game. ⬆️
Guys on both teams hitting long balls out of and off the wall at McCrary Park.
Does Cherryville have anyone that could hit it out over there ?
Mcrary has always been a hitter’s park. Ball carries well there. Baby boy loved hitting there. His daddy did ok there as well.
Scott does a great job on 94.9 broadcasting games. If you are out of FM range though you can usually catch games on Sportstone.com as well. Tony and Bruce are good too.
Dang I really am old. Seems I know a lot of people…

Reactions: Lincolnton
Thank you, my friend. I'd gone to the doctor for a routine visit but had to stay longer than I'd planned. She kept saying I was dilapidated. I told her age did that to someone, but what she actually said, is that I was dehydrated. I had wanted to see High Point and Rowan. I got to listen to some of it on WSTP via the internet. Rowan was winning 6-0.
I'm listening to Kannapolis and Randolph. The score was 9-4 Randolph but Kannapolis is having a big inning in the top of the sixth and now leads 11-9.
Here's the link.

Hey brother!….dehydration was the topic of the week at my house. A trip to Urgent care and the ER for my wife. It can be very dangerous! Hoping your potassium levels are ok….as Mommas’ was not! Take care of that! Lincolnton! We need you!

This ole boy went to bed with the chickens… hate I missed that game.

On a positive note….Kidd….I’m back! Reds hung on last night! It ain’t over!😁

If anyone else is listening, all I can say is what a game. ⬆️
Guys on both teams hitting long balls out of and off the wall at McCrary Park.
Does Cherryville have anyone that could hit it out over there ?
Cherryville doesn't have a HR hitting team this year. The team only has one HR. However, they have a pitching staff and defense that has only given up an average of 3.18 runs per game on the season and 1.83 average runs per game in the playoffs. Pretty amazing when you consider for the entire season they have not LHP Dalton Pence that they were counting on. Pence who signed to pitch for UNC has missed the legion season due to an arm injury suffered late in the high school season that requires surgery.

It is a very young roster and a lot of young players have stepped up. 14 of the 18 players on the roster are eligible to come back and play next year and many of them the next couple of years. Eight of the players are just rising high school juniors. They will also have players coming up from a good Junior Legion team that is playing in the Junior Legion State Tournament this weekend in High Point.

Cherryville doesn't have a HR hitting team this year. The team only has one HR on the season. However, they have a pitching staff and defense that has only given up an average of only 3.18 runs per game on the season and 1.83 average runs per game in the playoffs. They have not had LHP Dalton Pence that they were counting on. Pence who signed to pitch for UNC has missed the legion season due to an arm injury suffered late in the high school season that required surgery. I was also expecting them to have another experienced pitcher, a 2020 graduate who pitched well for Post 100 in 2018 and 2019 but he decided not play this year. I was really expecting pitching to be a weakness this year.

It is a very young roster. 14 of the 18 players on the roster are eligible to come back and play next year and many of them the next couple of years. Eight of the players are just rising high school juniors. They will also have some players coming up from a good Junior Legion team that is playing in the Junior Legion State Tournament this weekend in High Point.

Last edited:
Maiden Creek, Thank you, my friend. All the best to Mrs. Maiden Creek. She is fortunate to have a husband who doesn't fool around when it comes to her health. How blessed people are to have a fine spouse.
BTW, I recently talked with Cheerduck, and sometime soon, were going to meet and have lunch. I wish you could join us. All we do is eat and talk sports. Just a little fellowship.

thekidd12, you and the guys on that Eastern Randolph team which you played for would have given Randolph's outfielders a workout. I hope you have fond memories when you and your son go over to McCrary Park.
On last night's broadcast, They kept talking about the ball being fouled off into the snake pit. I thought, "when I was over there it looked like a well kept field, there weren't any brush, overgrowth or tall grass"; then it dawned on this worn-out archaic brain of mine that the snake pit must be the bullpen for the Asheboro Copperheads.
Something, too, I wanted to ask you about, pertaining to that part of the state (central North Carolina). Did you ever hear of what was probably a minor league team or farm club team, called The Chatham Rabbits ? If there even was such a team, they must have played out of Siler City or Pittsboro or somewhere in the area that you're in. I had an uncle who was a big horse of a looking man. He was absolutely obsessed with baseball. He hated Bobby Cox and mumbled about him a lot. He honestly knew the logistics of baseball and the physics of pitching, but he would mispronounce the the names of teams. He called San Diego the Cod Rays, Arizona was the Humpbacks and the Miami Marlins (then Florida Marlins) was the Martens.
He would tell stories about the old days. He said he pitched against them (The Chatham Rabbits) once, and told of a player who hit one of his pitches that he said went completely out of sight. He'd tell this story, and ended it by saying he believed that hitter was a very young Stan Musial, which, surely, it couldn't have been. He was pretty old and getting a little whacky, but he did play some semi-professional baseball for cotton mills around the Cherryville area and I'd heard he actually was getting a look from the majors, then an unfortunate incident intervened. If he played against this team it would have been an exhibition game as he would've been playing for a "gated community" that used to be located on Morgan Street in Raleigh, if you know what I mean, but I wanted to ask if you'd ever heard of the Chatham Rabbits.

Linkman, some cousins and me went over and watched Cherryville, last Thursday. It was a good game. They came from behind to beat Mint Hill 8-5. I wondered about their pitching. They used a few of them in that game. Then, I listened to you and Danny do the game from Independence High School, and The big West Lincoln guy, I think his name is Huss, really held MH down.
I'm going to put you on the spot. Do you believe Post 100 has a reasonably good chance of winning the state tournament.

Maiden Creek, Thank you, my friend. All the best to Mrs. Maiden Creek. She is fortunate to have a husband who doesn't fool around when it comes to her health. How blessed people are to have a fine spouse.
BTW, I recently talked with Cheerduck, and sometime soon, were going to meet and have lunch. I wish you could join us. All we do is eat and talk sports. Just a little fellowship.

thekidd12, you and the guys on that Eastern Randolph team which you played for would have given Randolph's outfielders a workout. I hope you have fond memories when you and your son go over to McCrary Park.
On last night's broadcast, They kept talking about the ball being fouled off into the snake pit. I thought, "when I was over there it looked like a well kept field, there weren't any brush, overgrowth or tall grass"; then it dawned on this worn-out archaic brain of mine that the snake pit must be the bullpen for the Asheboro Copperheads.
Something, too, I wanted to ask you about, pertaining to that part of the state (central North Carolina). Did you ever hear of what was probably a minor league team or farm club team, called The Chatham Rabbits ? If there even was such a team, they must have played out of Siler City or Pittsboro or somewhere in the area that you're in. I had an uncle who was a big horse of a looking man. He was absolutely obsessed with baseball. He hated Bobby Cox and mumbled about him a lot. He honestly knew the logistics of baseball and the physics of pitching, but he would mispronounce the the names of teams. He called San Diego the Cod Rays, Arizona was the Humpbacks and the Miami Marlins (then Florida Marlins) was the Martens.
He would tell stories about the old days. He said he pitched against them (The Chatham Rabbits) once, and told of a player who hit one of his pitches that he said went completely out of sight. He'd tell this story, and ended it by saying he believed that hitter was a very young Stan Musial, which, surely, it couldn't have been. He was pretty old and getting a little whacky, but he did play some semi-professional baseball for cotton mills around the Cherryville area and I'd heard he actually was getting a look from the majors, then an unfortunate incident intervened. If he played against this team it would have been an exhibition game as he would've been playing for a "gated community" that used to be located on Morgan Street in Raleigh, if you know what I mean, but I wanted to ask if you'd ever heard of the Chatham Rabbits.

Linkman, some cousins and me went over and watched Cherryville, last Thursday. It was a good game. They came from behind to beat Mint Hill 8-5. I wondered about their pitching. They used a few of them in that game. Then, I listened to you and Danny do the game from Independence High School, and The big West Lincoln guy, I think his name is Huss, really held MH down.
I'm going to put you on the spot. Do you believe Post 100 has a reasonably good chance of winning the state tournament.
I’m looking forward to it! Sports ,food, fellowship….what could be better?

Well, it's possible that Cherryville could win it but I don't know if I would classify their chances as reasonably good. I don't know what the competition from the other areas looks like but my guess is that this young Cherryville team will not be the favorite to win it. But they have surprised me all season playing most games without some of their best players and winning. In fact Post 100 has not had all their players for any game this season. In their last win vs. Mint Hill (9-0) they only had 10 players available for the game (were missing 4 starters). Various reasons for players being away this season....vacations, mission trips. travel/showcase ball, weddings, etc. However, it's my understanding that all 16 healthy players will be available for the State Tournament. Pence as well as another player (Will Fowler) who suffered a broken bone in his hand from being hit by a pitch are the two on the 18 player roster that can't play due to injury. So, you never know. With all their players they may have as good shot as anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maiden Creek
Thanks Linkman. I appreciate the assessment of Post 100’s chances. Hopefully being at home will help them.
if you hear anything about Area 1 or 2 teams share it with us.

Thanks Linkman. I appreciate the assessment of Post 100’s chances. Hopefully being at home will help them.
if you hear anything about Area 1 or 2 teams share it with us.
I absolutely loved the Uncle story! That’s great stuff!
You can betcha arse….I’ll never call the Red Soxs….the Red Soxs again!

Which one is better…..Boston Fred Soxs!…. or…..Boston Ted Soxs!

Betting Kidd chooses ….Fred.😂😂

I had never heard of the Chatham Rabbits. A lot of communities in both Randolph and Chatham used to have “town” teams. My daddy played for one until I was born and I played until the birth of my daughter. My wife’s grandfather played for Mcrary out of Asheboro and that was a team that gave people “jobs” if they could play ball.

After a little Google trip I found out the Chatham Rabbits were a team located in Bynum NC. An unincorporated community five miles north of Pittsboro. Which would be slightly south of Chapel Hilll.
Bet his story was true and if not I still enjoyed it.

Fellers, thanks for commenting on it. This uncle of mine died in 2000; He was born in Cherryville in 1917. He too played for mills that would give him a job because of his baseball ability. His hands were unusually large. Even when he was in his fifties I would get out in the yard and catch him. He could still make the ball dance. He didn't have much schooling but he was literate. He knew that if someone could put enough spin on a baseball it would create a high and low pressure around the ball and make it break, and he would talk about how a pitcher could mess with a batter (psychologically, I suppose). These are things y'all would've understood. I'd get lost listening to him.
He would talk and talk about baseball and every once in awhile he would look at me and I would shake my head, yes, If he gave me a mean look I'd shake my head, no.

Thekidd12, thanks for doing some research on the Chatham Rabbits. That tells me he must have been on the up and up.
Maiden Creek, he frequented the watering hole on Maiden's south side, where some of the Lincolnton people took the edge off of the day. He liked the stovepipe Budweiser's, but later changed to Coors. He called them
Coolers instead of Coors.

I absolutely loved the Uncle story! That’s great stuff!
You can betcha arse….I’ll never call the Red Soxs….the Red Soxs again!

Which one is better…..Boston Fred Soxs!…. or…..Boston Ted Soxs!

Betting Kidd chooses ….Fred.😂😂
My daddy used to call Toyotas Tiyotas and Camaros Camarios. Think he did it to irritate momma.
I like Ted Sox I think. Reminds me of last man to hit .400 👍

Fellers, thanks for commenting on it. This uncle of mine died in 2000; He was born in Cherryville in 1917. He too played for mills that would give him a job because of his baseball ability. His hands were unusually large. Even when he was in his fifties I would get out in the yard and catch him. He could still make the ball dance. He didn't have much schooling but he was literate. He knew that if someone could put enough spin on a baseball it would create a high and low pressure around the ball and make it break, and he would talk about how a pitcher could mess with a batter (psychologically, I suppose). These are things y'all would've understood. I'd get lost listening to him.
He would talk and talk about baseball and every once in awhile he would look at me and I would shake my head, yes, If he gave me a mean look I'd shake my head, no.

Thekidd12, thanks for doing some research on the Chatham Rabbits. That tells me he must have been on the up and up.
Maiden Creek, he frequented the watering hole on Maiden's south side, where some of the Lincolnton people took the edge off of the day. He liked the stovepipe Budweiser's, but later changed to Coors. He called them
Coolers instead of Coors.
The current Chatham Rabbits are a pretty good bluegrass duo, whose name is a nod to the historical connection.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT