ADVERTISEMENT

Are Any Plans For Any 1A NWC or 2A FHC to go to Artificial Turf Anytime Soon

TD-FridayNight

Oct 28, 2015
Mayberry - RFD,NC
With so many high schools going to artificial turf, I was just wondering if any local conference schools had plans to do so in the near future or were in the process of doing it now, I was surprised to see all posts on the other 3 boards that have already done so or plans to go to artificial turf soon. I think I saw one that was putting it down as this is being posted. I saw the talk on the 2A, 3A & 4A boards listing schools that have done so already. Also from start to finish, how long does it take to install an artificial turf field, and the pros & cons of having an artificial turf field and who would love to see their school go that route, me for one?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Alleghany was accepting bids last year for it to get done saw it listed it on there school website. Not sure if they started on it yet or not. Grayson county right across va border 15 min from Sparta is currently having there's installed.

Reactions: radioguy16
With all the multitude sports, football, boys and girl’s soccer, boys and girls lacrosse, at the same time, field hockey it’s a wonder any grass grows. Then some regular PE.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
With all the multitude sports, football, boys and girl’s soccer, boys and girls lacrosse, at the same time, field hockey it’s a wonder any grass grows. Then some regular PE.
I would love to see Mount Airy get it. I am sure the boosters may be maybe considering it or maybe it has come up. The boosters have raised money for many things for sports at Mount Airy and maybe or hopefully this is their next project. It would add to an already beautiful stadium.

Last edited:
It is not just the "grass". The real cost is the drainage system that needs to be put in place and the under proper surface. And I think Mt Airy Boosters could raise the money since the field serves many teams and purposes.

But we also should look at our "stands" that need much work, especially the visitors side. And LED lighting like at Lenoir Rhyne University would be great. Cut on, cut off, flashing, etc would be possible and entertaining.

It is not just the "grass". The real cost is the drainage system that needs to be put in place and the under proper surface. And I think Mt Airy Boosters could raise the money since the field serves many teams and purposes.

But we also should look at our "stands" that need much work, especially the visitors side. And LED lighting like at Lenoir Rhyne University would be great. Cut on, cut off, flashing, etc would be possible and entertaining.
To each his own I guess. The boosters have always done a great job doing different things every few years as they raise the money. To be fair it should be put to the community as to what order they would want done first with a list of several things to decide on. And what is worse a couple of the Bear posters on here seem to be in a competition against me. A couple of years back I was attacked by a Bear poster over a very stupid thing. As a regular poster, I may be the oldest Bear fan on here going back to the 1960s, and can care less what a certain Bear fan from back then thinks of what I say. I will post what I please and if someone doesn't like it please don't read it. I never in the past have posted against a fellow Bear fan, even If I did not agree with what they said. You don't see the SMC attacking each other just to make another look bad. Sorry for the rant, but things can be said without going against your family of Bear supporters. Sometimes you think you know someone as a friend and for many years as far back as the 1990s and they don't seem to know you anymore. This post is not about any one particular. I will post as I see it and as I please and always have. I sometimes wish I had another pass time so I could stay off NCPReps as much as I love being here ! ! !

To be clear, there is mainly 1 Bear fan that has given me a rough time and some may have seen it from time to time with him giving me a rough time or being a smart azz. I want mention a name but it was really bad 2 or 3 years ago.

Last edited:
I like the natural grass. So much involved in artificial turf. Think next big project will be a new press box and new concession and bathrooms. Led lights would be nice and help on power bill but I don't think the ones we have are not that old.

I like the natural grass. So much involved in artificial turf. Think next big project will be a new press box and new concession and bathrooms. Led lights would be nice and help on power bill but I don't think the ones we have are not that old.
The lights up now were put up sometime in the 1990s when I was a photographer for the MA News. I can remember how much easier it was to keep up with where the action was on the field. LED lights would cut the cost tremendously I would think. I still would like to see artificial turf in my lifetime and go to a game. I know that field has looked really rough over the years could be to MA's advantage knowing where all the rough spots are, but the same is true for other schools with natural grass and it cost to keep those holes filed in and resowed in the grass. I think it would give the players a little pride with artificial turf and make it easier for them to adjust to it when playing all the other schools going in that direction. I guess I am thinking along the lines of, WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE IS GOOD FOR THE GANDER. LOL

Last edited:
They have been replaced since then. I was coaching softball in 2004 and we were hoping they would put the old lights on the softball field but didn't happen.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I think alot of research against turf is going to come out in the next few years that will keep many high schools and colleges going to it. I think the NFL will completely ban it in 5 years.

Of course technology and innovation may get artificial turf even closer to a grass surface or to something that reduces leg injuries.

Reactions: uk-te-na
West Wilkes had a drive for it for quite a few years back in the 10's but it never amounted to completion. They were going for new lights and the turf; it was gonna have something to do with Benny Parsons. But it never got done.

Only local school I can think of going for it. Won't be surprised if it's a trend moving forward. I hate turf though, not a big fan after being on App's after we scrimmaged there.

Pros: reduced maintenance, faster surface, available regardless of weather conditions, can endure limitless play or practice, consistent field conditions from week to week.

Cons: high initial installation cost, need to replaced approximately every decade(depending on use) with high cost, extremely hot surface during summer and some fall days,

TD if you want to see beautiful stadiums, you need to visit Cherokee, Hayesville or Swain.

Pros: reduced maintenance, faster surface, available regardless of weather conditions, can endure limitless play or practice, consistent field conditions from week to week.

Cons: high initial installation cost, need to replaced approximately every decade(depending on use) with high cost, extremely hot surface during summer and some fall days,

TD if you want to see beautiful stadiums, you need to visit Cherokee, Hayesville or Swain.
I have not seen Hayesville, but you are correct on the other two.

Think Alleghany got some type of grant to pay for turf

MA needs a new Press Box and remember turf requires and machine the size of a zamboni that picks up the pellets and re distributes them once a year.

Mount Airy’s video scoreboard has created competition from other schools to get one as big or bigger! Video scoreboards may be closer to reality than turf fields!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT